Forge FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

Does anyone know for sure if there is even a salary cap for the league? I mean the league is kind of shadowy - no one really knows what is going on. How is it forge signs a massive name out of nowhere. Wanderers lose their top scorer and try to fill the gap with kids who play semi pro soccer. Not much makes sense. Are wanderers on an allowance by Bob Young while Forge have unlimited resources?? Who is even running this league? Just bizzare.

4 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

anyone else get the feeling that someone is on the way out? I love Hamilton but him and Terran Campbell seem to play a pretty similar style +  Woobens is hot. Then add in Welshman who is serviceable at the top.

Pacius back to Montreal? Have to think one of the two is on their way out.

12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Pacius back to Montreal? Have to think one of the two is on their way out.

aside from competing for the title atm, Campbell back to Pacific would've made sense because of his desire for intercontinental competition lol

Edited by Pottsy3

49 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Why would going over the cap take away from continental accomplishments @Ftduckwhen that competition has no cap limitations and rivals are spending much more? 

Good point. I was too quick to forget the frustration and elation when playing a team that financially dwarfs your team. 

I also think another striker may be on the way out but if not Forge have the potential to put out a really strong front 3 every match and rotate players, Hamilton may be just a replacement for Browne who was supposed to be returning, this could work out much better!

I just came here to say, I love to see this.
This league doesn’t need parity. It needs owners willing spend, so that more eyes will  be on the teams and leagues.

For reference whether you believe it or not, parity isn’t want brought MLS to the next level. It was the owners who were willing to move the needle.

Now you may say “but, but, the league is young”, the reality is it’s has to grow up fast to compete on the continental stage. 

The consistent appearances in the CCL is coming….a salary cap of 1.5M to 2M shouldn’t be unrealistic with expansion fees between 9- 12M.

Forge is my CPL, and I’m happy they have the ambition to put out a great product that can compete with LigaMX and MLS. 

Oh yea and with there not being concrete rules outlined, can they really be cheating?

2 hours ago, Shway said:

….a salary cap of 1.5M to 2M shouldn’t be unrealistic with expansion fees between 9- 12M.....

It remains to be seen if anyone is actually going to pay that fee. The series of tweets from Quebec that mentioned that fee recently talked about it being a stumbling block and negotiating something lower AFAIR.

An absence of parity works OK when you have pro/rel to keep the season interesting at the bottom. Fans soon tire of following a perennial no hope alsoran if you don't.

As things stand though the Forge seem to do very well out of the extent to which players can choose which CanPL club they want to sign for:

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I sincerely doubt Jordan Hamilton is on big money, his career has stalled over the last couple of years after unimpressive stints in Ireland and USL.  If he really had "a flurry of options" overseas I doubt they would have been a great level.  I can't really imagine a Scottish Premier League club going in for him (but I may be wrong). I still think this move may be a last roll of the dice for him, and I hope it comes out well for him.  

4 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

anyone else get the feeling that someone is on the way out? I love Hamilton but him and Terran Campbell seem to play a pretty similar style +  Woobens is hot. Then add in Welshman who is serviceable at the top.

I would take Campbell over Hamilton any day right now.  Campbell is one of the best players in the league.

47 minutes ago, StillOnFire said:

...I can't really imagine a Scottish Premier League club going in for him (but I may be wrong)...  

The third tier in Scotland has at least four clubs that might offer a full-time professional deal to a player like Jordan Hamilton (Airdrie, Falkirk, Dunfermline and Queen of the South) so it wouldn't necessarily have to be the top level clubs.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The third tier in Scotland has at least four clubs that might offer a full-time professional deal to a player like Jordan Hamilton (Airdrie, Falkirk, Dunfermline and Queen of the South) so it wouldn't necessarily have to be the top level clubs.

Can probably add Kelty Hearts to that list as well! But as I said, doubt it would be a good level ;)

I really hope this works out for Jordan, a promising career seems to have stalled, I remember him scoring a great goal  vs Spurs as an 18 year old playing for TFC in a friendly at BMO and finding the net in MLS matches but Vanney sat him down then moved him out in favour of some of his pet projects! We can only speculate whether his career would have taken a different path if another manager had given him more of a chance but he seemed to have goals in him earlier in his career!

9 hours ago, Shway said:

I just came here to say, I love to see this.
This league doesn’t need parity. It needs owners willing spend, so that more eyes will  be on the teams and leagues.

For reference whether you believe it or not, parity isn’t want brought MLS to the next level. It was the owners who were willing to move the needle.

Now you may say “but, but, the league is young”, the reality is it’s has to grow up fast to compete on the continental stage. 

The consistent appearances in the CCL is coming….a salary cap of 1.5M to 2M shouldn’t be unrealistic with expansion fees between 9- 12M.

Forge is my CPL, and I’m happy they have the ambition to put out a great product that can compete with LigaMX and MLS. 

Oh yea and with there not being concrete rules outlined, can they really be cheating?

Agree with this 

2 hours ago, yothat2 said:

Agree with this 

I don't disagree, but why not just be open about what the financial set-up is? Are they afraid of embarrassing other owners?

It does concern me though that in spite of Forge's ongoing success and probable spend, attendance doesn't budge. Doesn't go up or down, just the solid 3 to 3.5k of supporters. How much spend would it take to move that up, and would that go into unsustainable territory? What if this team is bad for a couple seasons, are those core 3.5k going to continue showing up? 

51 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I don't disagree, but why not just be open about what the financial set-up is? Are they afraid of embarrassing other owners?

It does concern me though that in spite of Forge's ongoing success and probable spend, attendance doesn't budge. Doesn't go up or down, just the solid 3 to 3.5k of supporters. How much spend would it take to move that up, and would that go into unsustainable territory? What if this team is bad for a couple seasons, are those core 3.5k going to continue showing up? 

Yet those same owners don't seem to spend similarly on their other team, Halifax, who do have better attendance. 

4 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Yet those same owners don't seem to spend similarly on their other team, Halifax, who do have better attendance. 

Sorry, I might be completely out of it, but I didn't realize there was a connection between Derek Martin and Young et al.