Forge FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

27 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

and  if the club is going to return warm meat pies for the Feb and Canada games.

Speaking of food, the stadium concession at THF has been embarrassingly bad all season long. Beer is great, and I try to avoid stadium food but in the few times I've purchased it's went poorly (can't speak on pies as they were sold out the couple of times I tried to order). The jumbo pretzel I bought last game was literally a rock, must have been there since the start of the season. I've wondered if the quality is as poor at Ticats games, and hope it will be better when we have a bigger crowd for CanMNT.

Edited by Pottsy3

20 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Speaking of food, the stadium concession at THF has been embarrassingly bad all season long. Beer is great, and I try to avoid stadium food but in the few times I've purchased it's went poorly (can't speak on pies as they were sold out the couple of times I tried to order). The jumbo pretzel I bought last game was literally a rock, must have been there since the start of the season. I've wondered if the quality is as poor at Ticats games, and hope it will be better when we have a bigger crowd for CanMNT.

The concessions at THF have generally been bad. Pretty much if you aren't in the club level, the food sucks. You will get either the most generic Stadium fare (Hot Dogs, Pizza, Fries, Chicken Fingers) or just poorly made stuff (The Corned Beef stand). The company that runs the stadium seem completely incapable of handling anything but the most basic of food and the first few years at the stadium, they couldn't even do that and the organization doesn't seem to ever listen to complaints about the food or beer selection. They've made a deal of some kind, someone is getting money.

The Ti-Cats used to have a real BBQ stand in the south endzone that would open up the smoker at half time, and it was glorious as were the patsy's who I am to understand a local company made them and they were brought in. Pretty much, when an independent vendor gets in, their food is worlds above the what the company that handles the food at THF does, I honestly wish they'd just let Food Trucks onto the South Endzone Patio like they did during the Guelph season.

On 12/9/2021 at 1:26 PM, gator said:

I am hoping for some changes, maybe lots of changes, it will be an interesting and somewhat short off season with Champions League on the agenda in February!

I'm not really sure where you're coming from on this. The team had the best overall record, the best defensive performance, and went all the way to the semifinals of a difficult tournament before losing a one-game playoff to a decent team. Unless you have reason to believe some players' performance is about to go off a cliff, why would you want lots of changes? Aside from the obvious need for a goal-scorer, I hope we don't have much turnover. The opaque contract, salary and salary-cap situation makes it hard to know what's even possible.

Edited by Cicero

15 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I'm not really sure where you're coming from on this. The team had the best overall record, the best defensive performance, and went all the way to the semifinals of a difficult tournament before losing a one-game playoff to a decent team. Unless you have reason to believe some players' performance is about to go off a cliff, why would you want lots of changes? Aside from the obvious need for a goal-scorer, I hope we don't have much turnover. The opaque contract, salary and salary-cap situation makes it hard to know what's even possible.

I did highlight more specifically my concerns in the thread on 2021,  I am concerned of a drop off next season, teams age and get stale, I would really like to see a couple of top (for this level) Canadian strikers brought in for Browne, Welshman and maybe Navarro, Borges and Sabak could be replaced as well! I think with Champions League on our plate and the rest of the league improving it would be a mistake not to try to get better!

On 12/10/2021 at 3:50 PM, Cicero said:

Honestly, there's not a lot I would change apart from we need another dedicated defender, and I think Sabak has only regressed since the Island games. He got a single goal this year and 7 Yellow Cards, and number rivalled only by Bekker, Borges (who both got more starts, more minutes and produced far more) and Dom Samuel who is a defender and expected to be a bit rougher.

Every other International player is bringing more to the table (save Kosi Nwafornso who I don't even think got any minutes) then Sabak is. I have to think he's nearing the end of his rope.

Edited by -Hammer-

Hello again,

A few commonalities in the posts...most think we need another goal scoring threat, some would like to see some roster turnover, and some feel more defensive depth is needed.

As I mentioned in a post in the old thread, the team only seems to have contracts in place with three players: Krutzen, Grant and Choiniere.  I assume there are some contract options at play and we'll find out soon who those players are.  As for re-signings...the question really becomes age and at what dollars as the team must certainly have been close to or right at the cap.  I can see a few wanting to move up a level as well which could be a factor.

I agree time with Sabak is done.  He did not progress and was rarely in the starting 11.  Borges has already been returned to Europe from what I can see, Navarro has an "option to buy" which might be worth it, and Browne's contract ends on Dec 31st (and I would not bring him back).

For me, the defensive depth piece is that in the latter part of the year for sure, there was no opportunity to give those guys a rest. When Grant went down it meant Cisse dropping back, which he did with grace and once Krutzen went down the team was really stretched.  There were too many of the same players on the team...and I get it suits Bobby's style (and without argument it has worked for the most part), but there were games when some of the guys up front were having great games and were subbed out because those were the only players available while Achinioti-Jonsson, Cisse, Krutzen, Awuah were racking up the miles without respite. Giving up a winger (or two) to add a couple versatile defenders or another CB seems a worthwhile trade.

Anyways...the off-season is short and will be interesting. Renewal is done and looking forward to the season starting already.

Oh, and the food in the club section is no better :)

On 12/14/2021 at 12:07 PM, Ftduck said:

Has any Forge STHs renewed their 2022 tickets and received their promo code for the World Cup Qualifier pre sale? Getting jibby here....lol

I have renewed but I believe that is all expected to go out tomorrow morning since they gave people until the end of today to get the deal. 

59 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Been planning a trip with a few non-footy couples to either Cuba or Mexico in the late winter. How do I convince them to do somewhere near the Azteca in February?

Mexico City is amazing. Food is great and affordable. Lots of culture and museums. Architecture is fascinating. History is everywhere. 

Going to Azteca is pretty amazing too. 

Note it's not tropical even though it's pretty far south. 

Edited by yomurphy1

On 12/17/2021 at 7:20 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think Forge would be nuts to alter their pre-season drastically to try to challenge Cruz Azul. Just take what you've got, prep, play, then shift back into semi dormant mode until proper preparation begins in early March. 

I see the strategy but given they have nothing to lose why not go at them? I don't see Coach Smyrniotis rolling over, especially for what is arguably the biggest club on the continent ... 

2 hours ago, Senorpopps said:

I see the strategy but given they have nothing to lose why not go at them? I don't see Coach Smyrniotis rolling over, especially for what is arguably the biggest club on the continent ... 

Ah but you do have something to lose, in fact a lot.

You have to start very early to do it properly, prep hard, with a big group, cutting short offseason, with your roster most likely not complete. For two games, and after the first, the story may be over.

Then, you have to start all over a few weeks after, say mid-March, assuming you don't pass (they have a 1 in 20 chance), with a slow, properly curved preseason leading up to an opening day in late April. 

That is risky to the health and well-being of your players. It may enable you to get a jump on rivals in preparedness, but by August it could also mean burn-out if it is not properly managed (though Forge tends to swing it to use a large roster, who knows how). 

Better to just go with what you have, not over prep, and then put it behind you and start the preseason properly, like most of the rest of your rivals. 

On 12/17/2021 at 7:20 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think Forge would be nuts to alter their pre-season drastically to try to challenge Cruz Azul. Just take what you've got, prep, play, then shift back into semi dormant mode until proper preparation begins in early March. 

I don't know. Here's the thing with this game. For the diehards, there are zero expectations on this game, and any already won over Forge fan is expecting the team to get blown out. That said, I'm sure there are is no small number of local Mexican fans who will show up for this game to see their club, and if Forge can put on a good showing, you have a chance to win them over to buying into Forge, at minimum as their backup team. Especially since Forge's price tag is probably one of the most reasonable sports price tags in the region.

This is one of those chances you have to expand your fanbase. You take that run, because even if you lose that stands to attract far more then what you will lose if you end up with a middling season (which BTW will be less busy then the last one).

• 2 weeks later...

Good for Bob

Risk/reward and he gets paid as he can cash out equity and still keep majority ownership 

Good for him as without his saving the Ticats way back when they were in bankruptcy and his investment in Can PL - he deserves to cash out 

Props to him as he put his money in play when it was a far riskier investment than today and deserved kudos to him from a Hamiltonian like me 

hes the largest single shareholder...doesnt necessarily mean hes majority...was looking to limit his loses which is normal for someone up there in age...now the question is will the family want to keep it going or will they sell in the coming years