Forge FC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

15 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Transfer fees count against the salary cap??  

Not necessarily where an MLS Next Pro signing is concerned given we have been told there is no salary cap in that context. Next Pro players are contracted to the individual MLS club rather than to the league and my understanding is that there only needs to be roster compliance if/when they are moved up to the MLS team. That potentially provides an easier way for MLS to sign more top young prospects from leagues like USL and CanPL now that MLS has moved into direct competition with the former.

Hope this isn't about to go down the usual turgid MLS vs CanPL trajectory.

My guess would be that there are some MLS franchises that don't want to spend too much money on this and others that will push the boat out in a big way on the other extreme as also happens with the DP rule. Hence the flexibility in both directions.

If there isn't a lot of the latter happening with players like Pacius potentially being targeted even when it means paying a transfer fee this approach isn't going to work any better than the reserve league they used to have.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Hope this isn't about to go down the usual turgid MLS vs CanPL trajectory.

My guess would be that there are some MLS franchises that don't want to spend too much money on this and others that will push the boat out in a big way with on the other extreme as also happens with the DP rule. Hence the flexibility in both directions.

If there isn't a lot of the latter happening with players like Pacius potentially being targeted even when it means paying a transfer fee this approach isn't going to work any better than the reserve league they used to have.

You mean the turgid trajectory you usually take it down? Add hypocrite to your character traits Oswald. Actually, nevermind, I'm sure you've always had that quality. Now please go ahead and continue. 😊

16 hours ago, narduch said:

They should have a friendly with Montreal.

Montreal announced 4 friendly games in FLorida, so I dont see it happeining. THe club also said it was supposed to have an other one but it was cancelled when the program changed, maybe it was against Forge FC?

Lot to unpack here.

First off, I figured with Campbell in, Welshman might be moving on. Hopefully he gets back to form but he really didn't have a knack for the net last year. I don't love him as the main man up top.

Nanco didn't have much of an impact this year, he even looked out of shape when he returned from injury. Assuming he gets back to fitness, his speed is still impactful as a super sub.

Pacius was a must-sign. Hope he gets enough playing time to take another step forward this year, but it's getting crowded up top. Could be the next to move onto a higher level.

I've been pretty vocal about not being impressed by Browne's selfishness. I read this as Borges potentially not returning on loan this year.

Considering some other pieces I'd seen floating around, it's interesting that it mentions Forge only having 8 players officially under contract between these 4, the Pacific pair, Dom and Achinioti. I wonder if this confirms that Krutzen/Bekker aren't signed on for the year yet or if the writer was just unaware.

Edited by Pottsy3
added some stuff about the article

A Montreal fan warned us about Browne as soon as the loan was announced last year. Said we would love/hate him. They were bang on. Was very selfish on the ball at times and seemed to get frustrated with other teammates if they were not on precisely the same page. But... it was very enjoyable watching him completely undress some defenders. He also scored the best Forge goal in history IMO. I'm still hopeful for Welshman. If he hits his stride this season, we will all be singing his name. 

32 minutes ago, Ftduck said:

A Montreal fan warned us about Browne as soon as the loan was announced last year. Said we would love/hate him. They were bang on. Was very selfish on the ball at times and seemed to get frustrated with other teammates if they were not on precisely the same page. But... it was very enjoyable watching him completely undress some defenders. He also scored the best Forge goal in history IMO. I'm still hopeful for Welshman. If he hits his stride this season, we will all be singing his name. 

Tough competition with the Borges olimpico or Kadell's footwork in tight vs. Valour. The rest of your comment is spot on how I feel.

14 minutes ago, toontownman said:

What are the chances we see Borges pop up somewhere like Ottawa?

I'd say pretty low. He seems to still be under contract in Belgium. I don't see any CPL clubs paying a transfer fee, and if he's loaned back to the league you'd have to think it's at Forge.

Ya, so some interesting bits today.  Certainly a surprise that Browne is returning on loan. Pacius was a must sign...really want to see what he can do this year, either sharing time up front with Campbell, or with the two of them together.

Nanco was one I assumed would be back with the departures of Navarro and Browne, but now Browne is back too.

Welshman I assumed would be one on the way out to make room for Campbell.  However, Welshman seems better suited to play out on the wing rather than in the centre, so I'll assume for now that Borges and Sabak are out, along with Babouli.

As things stand, there are no signed keepers...Grant, Samuel and Krutzen signed as defenders, Achinioti-Jonsson and Hojabrpour in midfield and then a plethora of attackers in Choiniere, Nanco, Welshman, Pacius, Browne and Campbell. If Pacius continues his development, and Campbell finds the net like he did with Pacific, the two should get good service from the other four on the wings...goals shouldn't be a problem. 

I do seem to recall that Johnny Son was signed to a multi, but I can't remember where I saw it. Anyways, one has to assume (I do that a lot) that Pianelli will be signed.  Still lots of pieces to come I imagine, including answers to whether Bekker, Cisse, Henry etc. are returning. Bobby did say most of the core was returning in a recent interview, so I guess we'll see soon.

It’s believed that the recent transaction that saw local steelmaker Stelco take on a 40 per cent share of the Tiger-Cats, Forge FC of the Canadian Premier Soccer League, and the lease at Tim Hortons Field, placed a value on those assets of more than $50 million. That means Stelco paid roughly $20 million for its 40 per cent share, quietly marking the highest valuation of a CFL franchise in history.

https://www.tsn.ca/it-s-a-tale-of-two-cities-for-the-cfl-in-southern-ontario-1.1751255

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/27/stelco-paid-roughly-20-million-for-40-percent-share-in-tiger-cats-hamilton-sports-group-report/