Olympics: Canada vs USA - Monday, August 2nd - Kashima, Japan - 4am Eastern / 1am Pacific

Only woke up in time to watch the second half and it was all USA. Ladies did incredibly well to limit the high danger chances. Rose did amazing running down the clearance to win the pk, American player had no idea she was there and cleared her out. 

6 minutes ago, _Vic_ said:

What planet am I on?

Most of our opportunities came from American turnovers as opposed to created.

Americans are a hot mess. About time!

Kudos to Labbe. Good presence.

Anyone else wonder if the call was a makeup for The 2012 Olympics?

Yes, its weird in this sport.  There always seems to be that balance or see saw thats gets played out.   If you get screwed one time,   then later its gets evened out when you least expect it.   

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I missed the Brazil match because I needed sleep but watched the Group Stage. Nigel is a little conventional and boring but that's his role. 

What do you not like about former #CanWNT player Dr. Clare Rustad?!? I think she's great (and I think that's the majority opinion on this board). Also very friendly in person. http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clare_Rustad

They are both too stiff, we need colour comentators.

I'm not exhausted at all.  I am ready to celebrate this historic win!  Too bad nobody in my real life care enough about women's soccer to watch this in the middle of the night, so I have nobody to celebrate with right now, except for internet fans, but still... you guys are awesome.

I'm sure there will be a discussion ad to whether or how Canada will beat likely Sweden, but perhaps that is a conversation for another day.  I am just enjoying this win right now.

40 minutes ago, lamptern said:

If Giles could improve her distribution, her limit would be the sky.

All of them, really. Think it was Lawrence going forward in the 2nd half, on a couple of clear counters, and just squandering the most element balls into space. We just kill ourselves constantly with bad decision-making, and it's frustrating. Oh, hey, it is okay if I just toss the ball over there, in your general direction, like throwing a bone to a mongrel in an empty lot: go get it! How is that acceptable for pro players?

Because we could actually be quite a bit better. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I think part of that is nerves. Everyone on both sides was tight, and in a game like that our main focus is on defense. Everyone hated the Norwegian women when they played every ball direct down the park right away. But they won the World Cup and Olympic gold. I'm with you in that the offensive side wasn't pretty, but I think tactically, like the Norwegians we are playing within ourselves. We'll never be able to play like the Spanish women or have the athleticism of the American women. Keys for us offensively are the counter and set pieces.

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

Yes, its weird in this sport.  There always seems to be that balance or see saw thats gets played out.   If you get screwed one time,   then later its gets evened out when you least expect it.   

I wouldn’t call this an evening out of teams getting screwed, it was far more a legitimate PK than all that double-horse manure called against us in 2012

4 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

Huitema needs to be flying around the field, she looks like she's saving her energy or something.

Kailen Sheridan would have added more value.

Leon or Schmidt or even Zadorsky out of position way more value than Grosso. She was way out of her element. Don't know enough about Carlyle.

As much as I respect Bev Priestman and her staff and the Australian coach got on my nerves, I would have loved to have heard someone like Big Sam on our sideline demanding people get in the game.

Edited by _Vic_