Jules-Anthony Vilsaint

bwilly11

2 hours ago, Addona said:

Serious question: is there any chance we lose this guy to Haiti … what should my level of concern be?

let this kid develop in peace . I am getting tired of all this stuff will this guy commit or not .. it is getting a bit annoying and tiresome . Yes I realize we have lost a lot of players in the past ., But lets see how this guy plays out first 

• 5 months later...

I thought he mostly looked good. On his goal, he made an initial pass to spring Ruan down the right which took composure, then took his chance well. I liked his energy and movement. Decent hold up play as well. He definitely caused problems. He had some nice first touch passes as well although some went astray. He needs to improve that and his first touch. Could get stronger as well.  But like his size, speed and directness.  He has the physical tools for sure. One to definitely watch

The goal was awesome but the most impressive part of this for me is just the fact that he was called into the game at all, especially as the first sub. I think on paper he’s like 5th or 6th on the depth chart, so whatever he’s doing in practice has to be impressive for him to get any sort of shot. 

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

The goal was awesome but the most impressive part of this for me is just the fact that he was called into the game at all, especially as the first sub. I think on paper he’s like 5th or 6th on the depth chart, so whatever he’s doing in practice has to be impressive for him to get any sort of shot. 

6 strikers on the active roster is a lot, 2 started and 3 on the bench just last night.  We won't get the best out of them with that traffic jam. 

I prefer what I've seen from Vilsaint over Ibrahim and Opoku.  3 goal contributions in under 500 minutes is pretty impressive for a 21 year old getting scrap minutes.

12 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

And then you have Kerr who has more goals than all of them combined. 

Kerr definitely looks good and can't wait to see the progression, but his stats don't quite scream like Oluwaseyi and Vilsaint.  

Oluwaseyi has 2 goal contributions in less than 90 MLS minutes.  His Next Pro and USL stats are very impressive, but obviously lower level.

Vilsaint has a contribution every 166min.

Kerr is at 300.

8 minutes ago, costarg said:

6 strikers on the active roster is a lot, 2 started and 3 on the bench just last night.  We won't get the best out of them with that traffic jam. 

I prefer what I've seen from Vilsaint over Ibrahim and Opoku.  3 goal contributions in under 500 minutes is pretty impressive for a 21 year old getting scrap minutes.

I like all of the acquisitions Montreal has made when you look at them individually, but I don’t know how you manage this logjam through the entire season. Easiest solution is to probably loan Vilsaint somewhere like what Toronto did with Kosi Thompson last year, but I’m very high on him, so hoping he climbs the depth chart this year and Montreal finds a way to offload one or both of Ibrahim and Toye.

12 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I like all of the acquisitions Montreal has made when you look at them individually, but I don’t know how you manage this logjam through the entire season. Easiest solution is to probably loan Vilsaint somewhere like what Toronto did with Kosi Thompson last year, but I’m very high on him, so hoping he climbs the depth chart this year and Montreal finds a way to offload one or both of Ibrahim and Toye.

Agreed.  They needed to go get someone with Coccaro's profile and I think it's a good fit and catch.  I assume the Martinez opportunity kinda fell in their lap and couldn't say no.  So I understand it all, it's just unfortunate.  

Toye has so much upside and good stats as well, just can't stay healthy unfortunately.  Personally I'd try to offload Opoku and Ibrahim before loaning out Vilsaint, there are minutes for him with CFM.  That would mean ruining the Opoku and Ibrahim investments, so I understand loaning out Vilsaint.

8 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

8 hours ago, costarg said:

Agreed.  They needed to go get someone with Coccaro's profile and I think it's a good fit and catch.  I assume the Martinez opportunity kinda fell in their lap and couldn't say no.  So I understand it all, it's just unfortunate.  

Toye has so much upside and good stats as well, just can't stay healthy unfortunately.  Personally I'd try to offload Opoku and Ibrahim before loaning out Vilsaint, there are minutes for him with CFM.  That would mean ruining the Opoku and Ibrahim investments, so I understand loaning out Vilsaint.

I think there is two factors at play here:

I. MTL got burned pretty bad last season with injuries among its strikers, even more then with injuries in general, with Quioto, Toye and Vilsaint all being off for good long whiles. There was plenty of reasons why last year was a bit of a bummer but with the best scorer of the team being Choinière with five goals having even one of these three be healthy might very well have been enough for both the playoffs without wild card games and a CanChamp... As a result, and with Toye seemingly being made of glass, they did try to make sure this won't happen again.

Mind you, the last game did kinda validate these concerns, at least for me: both Opoku and Coccaro had to be taken out of the field having Vilsaint and Martinez around was fortunate. Coccaro seemed fine afterwards but Opoku had clutches...

II. Between the normal MLS season, the CanChamp with more games and the Leagues Cup the Impact has to deal with a descent amount of fixture congestion this year. And that isn't even getting into international call ups. Therefore, having some options for rotation is definitely not a bad thing.

1 hour ago, phil03 said:

There was plenty of reasons why last year was a bit of a bummer but with the best scorer of the team being Choinière with five goals having even one of these three be healthy might very well have been enough for both the playoffs without wild card games and a CanChamp...

The playoffs and Canadian Championship were definitely in play and strong possibilities for 2023.  The striker injuries had an impact on that, but nothing close to Losada's "just run, don't think" system.  That is the main reason they failed last year.  

I've seen a lot of interesting, strange and pretty wild systems implemented by coaches in my life.  Losada and Bradley 2023 are both at the top of that list.