Jules-Anthony Vilsaint

bwilly11

10 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Does this say more about Quebec developing young players or just the case when one team is properly tapping into a region of 8-9M people? 

Because if its the latter just imagine what TFC could be doing. 

Montreals new model is to push and develop young players for reselling, and eventually build a group that can win. 

That includes their academy kids, we will start to see more of them come through.

14 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Does this say more about Quebec developing young players or just the case when one team is properly tapping into a region of 8-9M people? 

Because if its the latter just imagine what TFC could be doing. 

I think both of those things go hand in hand. I think the difference between TFC and Montreal is that they move on from players too early and Montreal plays through hardships. I think that has more to do with TFC being a « big club » and needs to show results (lol) whereas Montreal can spend time developing players. On Toronto, Saliba would be at TFC II and Choiniere would be at Nashville SC. 

I’ll also add that TFC doesn’t have a monopoly over Ontario players in the same way Montreal does over Quebec players. All of the best players in Ontario are scouted by NCCA + Europe more often than players here. If guys like Larin and Laryea were from Montreal, I think there’s a better chance they would’ve come up through Montreal’s academy Vs going to college. 

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think both of those things go hand in hand. I think the difference between TFC and Montreal is that they move on from players too early and Montreal plays through hardships. I think that has more to do with TFC being a « big club » and needs to show results (lol) whereas Montreal can spend time developing players. On Toronto, Saliba would be at TFC II and Choiniere would be at Nashville SC. 

And Sean Rea would be the goalkeeper.

I’ll also add that TFC doesn’t have a monopoly over Ontario players in the same way Montreal does over Quebec players. All of the best players in Ontario are scouted by NCCA + Europe more often than players here. If guys like Larin and Laryea were from Montreal, I think there’s a better chance they would’ve come up through Montreal’s academy Vs going to college. 

I agree with this. After CF Montreal, the next level down is PLSQ if players want to stay in Quebec. Ontario has several CPL teams for players to go to. 

I will just say, though, that I have been impressed with Montreal's representation of local talent in the past. I remember the Impact in USL during the early 2000s, and a lot of those guys were local. It was amazing to go to those games. You'd often see fans going up to the fence separating the pitch from the stands to shake hands with the players since a lot of people knew each other. 

I always felt it was sad when they got to MLS, because a lot of that was lost. So maybe it's cultural team philosophy-related to see these local players representing again and doing well. 

I think both of those things go hand in hand. I think the difference between TFC and Montreal is that they move on from players too early and Montreal plays through hardships.

TFC's grand plan also did a 180 with their Academy grad and other Cancon inclusion after Forza Italia arrived on the scene plus the return of Laryea.  It was like a movie with a John Wayne-led US Cavalry charge to the rescue.   

Too bad the movie turned out to be based on Custer. 😉

Jason Hernadez the new TFC GM has however said that they don’t really use their academy and don’t have a plan or pathway for their young players. He said he intends to play that, let’s see if it stays that way. We’ve heard that before and boom Chris Armas happened.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

TFC's grand plan also did a 180 with their Academy grad and other Cancon inclusion after Forza Italia arrived on the scene plus the return of Laryea.  It was like a movie with a John Wayne-led US Cavalry charge to the rescue.   

Too bad the movie turned out to be based on Custer. 😉

I think we’ve seen in pretty much any sport over the last few years that the fuck them kids movement only works if the stars you attract are bonafide world class superstars. It works for Miami because it’s Messi and there are a handful of other superstars who could probably carry a team to MLS silverware, but Insigne and Berdadeschi are just not good enough to get results without a good team around them. 

not dissimilar to how every super team in basketball that doesn’t have either Lebron or Steph gets beat early in the playoffs. I get TFC wanted players with name recognition to put fans in the seats, but with the fanbase they had, if they just accepted that they’re gonna be bad for a few years and let their young players figure it out a la Montreal, they’d end up with at the very least a competitive team, and that’s ultimately what fans want. They need to get rid of those two guys like yesterday. 

9 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

TFC has shown patience with many young Canadian players that have not delivered results in 2023. JMR and Deandre Kerr (he's been ok) each have nearly as many MLS minutes in 2023 as Saliba. Kobe Franklin has more. 

Edited by jonovision

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

TFC has shown patience with many young Canadian players that have not delivered results in 2023. JMR and Deandre Kerr (he's been ok) each have nearly as many MLS minutes in 2023 as Saliba. Kobe Franklin has more. 

Damn, is that so? That’s really surprising. Feels like TFC is a lot quicker to pull the plug on players. Franklin has been good but he started off the bench against Montreal and didn’t even play against atlas. Not to say that all of TFC’s kids have been brilliant or anything though. I do think it’s crazy that JMR got sent all the way down to TFC II though. I guess Montreal dropped Rea from the lineup too, but it just seems like TFC is a lot quicker to pull the plug. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Damn, is that so? That’s really surprising. Feels like TFC is a lot quicker to pull the plug on players. Franklin has been good but he started off the bench against Montreal and didn’t even play against atlas. Not to say that all of TFC’s kids have been brilliant or anything though. I do think it’s crazy that JMR got sent all the way down to TFC II though. I guess Montreal dropped Rea from the lineup too, but it just seems like TFC is a lot quicker to pull the plug. 

I think your statement remains correct historically speaking and overall.  Picking a few players and part of 2023 for a comparison is too small of a sample size.

On 8/27/2023 at 6:17 AM, mpg_29 said:

Both, probably.  

I still struggle to understand how the Whitecaps are still unable to have a born and bred Lower Mainland player emerge as a consistent squad regular for them.