Jules-Anthony Vilsaint

bwilly11

49 minutes ago, costarg said:

The playoffs and Canadian Championship were definitely in play and strong possibilities for 2023.  The striker injuries had an impact on that, but nothing close to Losada's "just run, don't think" system.  That is the main reason they failed last year.  

I've seen a lot of interesting, strange and pretty wild systems implemented by coaches in my life.  Losada and Bradley 2023 are both at the top of that list.

Oh, I don't disagree but my broader point was that in spite of that the club could have easily gotten a ''well, that wasn't so bad overall, especially considering...'' result of for the season in spite of it had we not been nearly as unlucky for injuries to strikers.

14 hours ago, phil03 said:

I think there is two factors at play here:

I. MTL got burned pretty bad last season with injuries among its strikers, even more then with injuries in general, with Quioto, Toye and Vilsaint all being off for good long whiles. There was plenty of reasons why last year was a bit of a bummer but with the best scorer of the team being Choinière with five goals having even one of these three be healthy might very well have been enough for both the playoffs without wild card games and a CanChamp... As a result, and with Toye seemingly being made of glass, they did try to make sure this won't happen again.

Mind you, the last game did kinda validate these concerns, at least for me: both Opoku and Coccaro had to be taken out of the field having Vilsaint and Martinez around was fortunate. Coccaro seemed fine afterwards but Opoku had clutches...

II. Between the normal MLS season, the CanChamp with more games and the Leagues Cup the Impact has to deal with a descent amount of fixture congestion this year. And that isn't even getting into international call ups. Therefore, having some options for rotation is definitely not a bad thing.

I think it also comes down to the fact that Montreal is a selling club and as such, you kinda have to just take the opportunities as they come, and every striker they have on the roster made sense when they brought him in. The intraleague move to get Opuku was a nice piece of business for MTL to help get him over the hump and ready for a move abroad. The Coccoro purchase was Montreal finally using all that money they made to go out and get their starting striker. Martinez probably fell into their lap and you just can't really say no to that. I think they need to figure a way out to get value out of Toye and Ibrahim as they're probably going to have to move on at some point over the next two seasons. That leaves Vilsaint who we all love and have very high hopes for, but realistically, he's not at the level where you can trust him to consistently bag goals at the MLS level- not that he's bad, he's just untested, and given how hot soccer is in Montreal as of late, it's more important than ever to give the fans a winning product on the field. Hoping that changes by end of season and the fact that he was given an opportunity so early speaks to what the coaching staff see in him.

The season is long, you do need depth, and having more strikers is always a good problem to have, but given the players who are injured and will get right back into the lineup (Saliba, Lapalainen, Yankov, etc.), I don't know how you can dress all 5 strikers every game, but I think they're all too good not to get dressed every week. You also have guys like Rida Zouhir and Vic Wenyama who are question marks in terms of how much they're actually gonna play. Looking at the bench vs. Dallas, Montreal made 4 subs, and 3 of them were strikers. Of the unused subs, you have Zouhir, Breza, Edwards, and two very raw CBs (Jabang & Alvarez). Some good players on the mend right now and them being healthy will help, but outside of plugging in different striker profiles, there isn't much depth at all on the team. Once everyone is healthy, it'll help a lot, but we're about one Choiniere injury + another CM missing time away from this season turning into a catastrophe, so I hope that Montreal figure a way to swap a striker with a savvy intraleague trade for a different type of player.

On 3/2/2024 at 6:53 PM, Atlantic said:

We have MLS goal scorers being left off our prelim 57-man roster, we’re not sure a guy in the Eredivisie (Brym) or La Liga (Corbeanu) will be called up next window… isn’t that crazy??? We’ve come so far

And yet we have no manager and the association is being sued (or suing? I don't even know)

I am legit afraid the off-the-field BS will ruin our golden generation :(

5 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Opoku is out for a couple of months, should give Vilsaint more minutes 

Not surprised. When I saw it live it didn’t look good.  The defense fell with full weight awkwardly on the back of his leg when he was going down. It didn’t look good

• 1 month later...