HFX Wanderers Season Thread 2021

Big_M

4 minutes ago, Dicdan said:

Wanderers sign Canadian forward Samuel Salter 🇨🇦

🗞 Learn more: https://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/article/halifax-wanderers-sign-canadian-forward-samuel-salter

#TheJourneyBegins #COYW

nice move by HFX, they keep eyeing plsq!

salter was last quebec league season top scorer

Edited by Dicdan

Speaking of Sissoko Rollins just said that he left due to money and said USL teams can easily outspend a CPL team, and that this will happen again. I’d imagine we will see the top players who don’t get a euro move head south. More so the older guys, until we raise the cap it will be tough to get further ahead of the USL in terms of quality without being able to retain our top guys.

6 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Speaking of Sissoko Rollins just said that he left due to money and said USL teams can easily outspend a CPL team, and that this will happen again. I’d imagine we will see the top players who don’t get a euro move head south. More so the older guys, until we raise the cap it will be tough to get further ahead of the USL in terms of quality without being able to retain our top guys.

That's an oversimplification - Not all USL clubs are created equal therefore some clubs can/will pay more but most of them won't. I love that he leaves context out of his tweet. There's huge disparities within the USL

Northern Tribune has a much better article on Sissoko's move. As @ansem alluded to, I think there are maybe 6-10 USL teams that can outspend CPL and Indy eleven are probably the biggest spenders, ignore Rollins, in three years we have had more players go USL to CPL then CPL to USL.

Sissoko Lands In USL With Indy Eleven - Northern Tribune

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Grrr, Mr rollins whats wrong with that??  If a CDN guy comes from basically nowhere, shines in CPL and gets a payday somewhere else...thats great.  It would be even better if CPL got a transfer fee.  

I dont get this, are we having problems fielding enough quality CDN??  Are we finding guys who werent getting a sniff with USL/MLS before CPL came along?  Is the CPL level of play on par with most USL?  Damn right on all accounts!  And of course we are always going to loose the best guys to teams with deep pockets..but isnt that a good thing??  

On 1/20/2021 at 8:16 AM, Zem said:

Looks like Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé might be joining the Wanderers, he played for the Fury at the Grounds in the Voyageurs Cup in 2019. He'd be a perfect fit for them I think, exactly the kind of box-to-box midfielder Hart wants in his system.

I remember him from a u17 national club tournament. He was a lw at that point and was one of the best players in the tournament 

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Grrr, Mr rollins whats wrong with that??  If a CDN guy comes from basically nowhere, shines in CPL and gets a payday somewhere else...thats great.  It would be even better if CPL got a transfer fee.  

I dont get this, are we having problems fielding enough quality CDN??  Are we finding guys who werent getting a sniff with USL/MLS before CPL came along?  Is the CPL level of play on par with most USL?  Damn right on all accounts!  And of course we are always going to loose the best guys to teams with deep pockets..but isnt that a good thing??  

The arguments for higher salaries are ludicrous and short sighted. This league wasn’t created so that a bunch of guys who had run out of options could come home and earn a living.

Read this as many times as you need to: This league is about giving Canadians a chance at a career, not a career. 

In time it may grow in popularity and be in a position to dish out money. We’re not there and if people want to rush that this is going to disappear. Let’s be happy we have a league. Now is not the time and certainly not in a pandemic.

Lets also put this in perspective. The league runs from May to October. That’s half the year! $20k for half a year is not awful to play pro soccer at home in a 5th tier league. 

Well everyone already knows!

I know very little but it just seems like its the jilted ex/spurned cpl lover with an agenda try to push journalistic comments and statements disguised as "news the public deserves to hear" with "my duty platitudes". In this case is he passing information from players that desperately felt this needed uncovering or he has directly asked players to dig for this type of story and reaction.

While the media should be there to ask questions and push for positive change in society, for a league not just in its infancy but the pandemic thrown at them in year two, do we really need people crusading for petty truth, spreading mistrust and undermining the CPL that could damage and threaten its existence before its really got started? 

This league is going to take 5-10 years to stand on its own feet and hopefully to grow to a point that the cap can be raised along with players wages. We needs some realism and acceptance imo with the expectations of the league. There are always going to be things the league can do better but they have done a tremendous job imo, including advancing the league during the pandemic and raising the standard. Looking at this seasons signings so far, it looks like the bar will be raised again.

Maybe I am reading the situation completely wrong.

Would Indy be looking at a Usports guy without his positive showing with Halifax last summer??  Whats the news here??  Guys that are good quality can find teams in different leagues that will pay more?? Someone should inform MLS of this as I see young players leaving it for more money in europe. 

Is the story that the CPL in year 2 cant compete with wages paid by one of the top USL teams with MLS aspirations??