Jump to content

HFX Wanderers Season Thread 2021


Big_M
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, longlugan said:

Wife and I are flying in for the Forge game this Saturday. Where's a good place for pre-drinks near the stadium? Not sure if the enemy is welcome everywhere but my wife assures me that Haligonians are a friendly lot. Having said that I noticed she upped my life insurance so maybe she's up to something. 

Think you'll be fine wherever you go, so no worries there.

Durty Nelly's on the corner of Argyle Street and Sackville Street is likely a good bet. Irish-style pub with good atmosphere, food, and drinks- plus just a 5 min walk up the hill to the grounds. I'll add a qualifier to this that my bar/pub knowledge has seriously waned over the last few years and there's been a ton of new development downtown. Regardless, Durty Nelly's is a great option, but there might be some newer places that would be good as well.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great news for the future however the 2021 season is in shambles. Just got back from a few days in the woods and read the report of yesterdays disaster at Forge. I don't know if this is wrong to say. I love the club but to be honest I hope they do not sneak into the playoffs they really have no business going up against the top 3. I sounds hard but this has been a disgraceful run. Outscored 7-1 in the last 2 games which were critical. Scored 2 goals in the last 6 (one was an own goal). Also barring a miracle we are going to finish dead last in goals for again. Im not sure what has to change for next season however I would say their performance in the 2 full seasons is no where near good enough.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Great news for the future however the 2021 season is in shambles. Just got back from a few days in the woods and read the report of yesterdays disaster at Forge. I don't know if this is wrong to say. I love the club but to be honest I hope they do not sneak into the playoffs they really have no business going up against the top 3. I sounds hard but this has been a disgraceful run. Outscored 7-1 in the last 2 games which were critical. Scored 2 goals in the last 6 (one was an own goal). Also barring a miracle we are going to finish dead last in goals for again. Im not sure what has to change for next season however I would say their performance in the 2 full seasons is no where near good enough.

 

You say that, but this is also a team that has had more success, not only this year but over three seasons, than 3-4 other CPL teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, jonovision said:

You say that, but this is also a team that has had more success, not only this year but over three seasons, than 3-4 other CPL teams. 

Well I don't really count the tournament (Island games) as a season or anything meaningful really. However Spring 2019 we were dead last. In the fall season we were tied for second last. This season still remains to be seen but it looks like we will likely finish 5th or even possibly 6th. We have be far the strongest fan support in the league - so for me bottom half of the table is not good enough. There is no reason we shouldn't be fielding a squad that compete in the top half with Forge, Cavalry and Pacific.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Wow. Pretty surprised by this. Don't see him moving to any of this seasons top 4, mainly because they have those positions tied up.  Don't see MLS clubs going for him but maybe he chances his arm at Europe, Scandinavia? Would be neat to see him given a chance in some MLS training camps though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, toontownman said:

Wow. Pretty surprised by this. Don't see him moving to any of this seasons top 4, mainly because they have those positions tied up.  Don't see MLS clubs going for him but maybe he chances his arm at Europe, Scandinavia? Would be neat to see him given a chance in some MLS training camps though. 

Hears a Rumor his agent wants him to move to USL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah a guy pushing 30, making peanuts....I dont think having a winning or losing season next year is driving his decisions.  I think making some money would prob be a priority.  Some of those USL teams splash some cash.  He's done well, if he can translate that into a couple years somewhere else making a lot more, all the better.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The rumor going around here is that he (Doner) was left out of the lineup for the last game because he wanted to move on. My feeling is as he gave it 100% and never any less and was one of our best player he should have still been in. Some other have said since he was leaving he shouldn't have been in. What do you guys think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope Stefan Karajovanovic is brought back next year, he must have the leagues worst scoring rate compared to their expected goals for. 6th in the league in shots on target, yet only had 1 goal all season. HFX lacked goal scoring all season, but I think some of that is due for positive regression. 

The goaltending will be the big offseason question mark. They've consistently stuck to local targets at the position, but after the amount of blunders this season I think they'll need to pay up for a keeper outside of the league or a guy like Giantsopoulos who could probably slot into a starting role.

Just for the sake of maritime talent, Daniel Nimick is a name that wouldn't surprise me. Defender from Newfoundland at Western Michigan University who was All-MAC First Team in 2020 and All-MAC Second Team in 2021. Spent the rest of the year as a consistent starter on Grand Rapids FC in USL Two.

Edited by Pottsy3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...