General MLS Talk 2021

Big_M

Big M may have created threads that won’t be used. Invoking that clause after what the players did last year in support of the league has thrown a major obstacle into an MLS season.  Understand no fans in seats has a major impact on a league without a substantial tv contract but the owners better minimize the concessions asked for this time or there may not be a season. 
Question can any player opt out of his contract and go elsewhere as a result of this or are players under contract forced to sit out if there is no agreement?  If there is no season that would harm our chances of qualifying for WC and the Olympics, and would really impact our Gold Cup as the core of our rosters are all MLS based.  Here’s hoping they don’t destroy the season( and possibly set the league back a decade).

CB who was quality for Inter Miami will not be back

Report: Andres Reyes not returning to Inter Miami CF after loan from Atletico Nacional

Corona who was selected by Austin then Houston signs a multi-year contract with Houston..can Ramos turn around a team that has made playoffs once in the last seven seasons and will attendance keep dropping

Houston Dynamo FC sign midfielder Joe Corona to multi-year contract

Vanney about to be named head coach of Galaxy..gonna be lots of pressure to turn it around quickly

LA Galaxy reportedly finalizing deal to land Greg Vanney as next head coach

Wow Charlotte might be signing Guardado who will turn 36 in 2022..big risk signing a player of this age one year early

Report: Charlotte FC to sign Mexico international Andres Guardado

If MLS told these USL owners that after ponying up 10's of millions of dollars they could be right back in the USL next season, NO ONE would buy a franchise.  They would just stay in the USL and load up on talent to win their way into MLS.  Then the cash cow of expansion fees that are proping up MLS would vanish.  

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s already too big and has been for a while. It would seem they’re headed toward 30-32 teams, which is comical. 

A great opportunity for pro/rel that will be squandered. 

Pfff...they will easily go to 40 and run it like MLB and NFL and split it in half.

As long as investors are willing to sign expansion checks and build stadiums, they are denying no one

Losses close to 1 billion. I dont doubt it. I really can't see how the Canadian teams go forward without some insurance that the border will be re opened. They should honestly reach out to the CPL. I understand that seems impossible but it feels like the only logical way TFC, Caps and Impact will kick a ball in 2021

16 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Losses close to 1 billion. I dont doubt it. I really can't see how the Canadian teams go forward without some insurance that the border will be re opened. They should honestly reach out to the CPL. I understand that seems impossible but it feels like the only logical way TFC, Caps and Impact will kick a ball in 2021

Or go play in US until COVID restrictions are lifted enough to play home games like last season

29 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Or go play in US until COVID restrictions are lifted enough to play home games like last season

Brilliant.. maybe this year we can top the 1 billion dollar mark. If I'm writing the cheques im loving this plan

Edited by SpursFlu

On 1/2/2021 at 1:25 PM, SpursFlu said:

Way more likely to be based in the US than reaching out to CPL who wouldn't want to temporarily accommodate them for just 1 season

24 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Way more likely to be based in the US than reaching out to CPL who wouldn't want to temporarily accommodate them for just 1 season

Probably more likely but if I was the players and owners of the Canadian MLS teams I would just sit out the season. From a players perspective it would be ridiculous situation at what now seems like a reduced pay. From an owners perspective I would just release all my players so I dont need to pay them and then either sit dormant or sell the team either to an American owner or back to the league. ML Sports probably don't care but if I'm Saputo or Caps ownership it has to be going thru their head

Edited by SpursFlu

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Probably more likely but if I was the players and owners of the Canadian MLS teams I would just sit out the season. From a players perspective it would be ridiculous situation at what now seems like a reduced pay. From an owners perspective I would just release all my players so I don't need to pay them and then either sit dormant or sell the team either to an American owner or back to the league. ML Sports probably don't care but if I'm Saputo or Caps ownership it has to be going thru their head

Bold prediction as Montreal are in the middle of a rebrand. They are definitely on a "wait and see" approach in regards to Public Health but there's no way that they are getting any kind of guarantees from the Government of Canada in regards to border travels. This looks like a disastrous year for them.

What's going through their heads?

-New TV deal (I doubt they hit jackpot there)

-Expansion checks - don't be surprised if MLS goes on an expansion spree post COVID. I could see the league reach 40 and split it in half.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Bold prediction as Montreal are in the middle of a rebrand. They are definitely on a "wait and see" approach in regards to Public Health but there's no way that they are getting any kind of guarantees from the Government of Canada in regards to border travels. This looks like a disastrous year for them.

What's going through their heads?

-New TV deal (I doubt they hit jackpot there)

-Expansion checks - don't be surprised if MLS goes on an expansion spree post COVID. I could see the league reach 40 and split it in half.

Yah bold.. im just saying at what point does it become a strong possibility? Maybe already? I read 6 NHL owners were firmly in the no play camp. That was without the border issue

Vanney confirmed for galaxy..alonso gone in miami with owner having too high expectations of a first year team with no chemistry and reduced season..robles retires..arena bringing his ex players delagarza and boateng to revs..besler to austin..espinoza returns to skc..philly make their second multi million dollar transfer out of the year sending mckenzie to genk..bezbatchenko making big moves in columbus bringing bwp and molino..lot of things going on