General MLS Talk 2021

Big_M

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Theres been plenty of seasons where at least 1 Canadian team did not make the playoffs

Since 2012?

Edit: Answering my own question, 2018 is the only other year that we have had no Canadian MLS teams in the playoffs since we had 3 MLS teams.

Edited by narduch

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure exactly where to put this but it must be said:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/whitecaps-fc-statement-08-15-21

This just came out within the hour. Not sure who the players are but this is absolutely disgusting.

The fact that people are being assaulted in a country, that is supposed to represent "The true north strong and free", for the colour of their skin is so upsetting. Then you think about the fact that these are also Academy kids. No one, let alone children should have to experience any form of racism and yet these kids had to endure it in its more brutal form. So sad.

Hopefully they all make a full recovery.

14 hours ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

This just came out within the hour. Not sure who the players are but this is absolutely disgusting.

The fact that people are being assaulted in a country, that is supposed to represent "The true north strong and free", for the colour of their skin is so upsetting. Then you think about the fact that these are also Academy kids. No one, let alone children should have to experience any form of racism and yet these kids had to endure it in its more brutal form. So sad.

Details are very vague and it is only the belief that it was racially motivated at this point. Don't get outraged just yet. You getting outraged does no one good and it is exactly what the media wants, because when you are outraged, you become emotionally vulnerable, and when you are emotionally vulnerable, you open yourself up to psychological manipulation. Do not allow yourself to become manipulated. 

I quick Google search shows it was at some sort of party and the altercation occurred between two sets of people, the stabbing involving a vic and perp who are both 17 years old. To me, this seems like a typical high school house party confrontation and yet the Caps produced a statement like this? Something fuckey is going on here. 

@OhCanadaOhBaby You and I are going to take a journey on self awareness and self reflection. You are going to learn from me how to deal with the constant barrage of lies, deceit and misdirection you will encounter in the outside world through a crash course I am going to personally deliver to you. I call the module Macksam's Calm, Cool and Collected: Three Simple Rules.

On 8/15/2021 at 10:40 PM, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6143188

A new CBC article from yesterday detailing the incident. It's what I thought, although not confirmed but it's what the RCMP thinks also, a party involving young people where the kids probably knew each other and "racial slurs may have been uttered"

Certainly a much different picture than the ones the Caps painted with their "racially motivated attack" where the worst image of some group of alt righters waiting in shadows and pouncing came to mind.

Literally this is kids at a house party having a dust up where racial slurs were uttered during a confrontation that became physical. The knife attack is the most serious thing here. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the racial slurs were uttered from both sides. I am not sure the race of the perp or vic so let me draw out a scenario:

Vic: Get out of my face man, fuck you p******

Perp: What did you call me n********? 

*fists fly between multiple people before the perp eventually pulls out a knife and proceeds to give the vic a second ass hole* 

You can flip the derogatory insults around, it could involve entirely other races even but my original point still stands.

Edited by Macksam

14 hours ago, Macksam said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6143188

A new CBC article from yesterday detailing the incident. It's what I thought, although not confirmed but it's what the RCMP thinks also, a party involving young people where the kids probably knew each other and "racial slurs may have been uttered"

Certainly a much different picture than the ones the Caps painted with their "racially motivated attack" where the worst image of some group of alt righters waiting in shadows and pouncing came to mind.

Literally this is kids at a house party having a dust up where racial slurs were uttered during a confrontation that became physical. The knife attack is the most serious thing here. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the racial slurs were uttered from both sides. I am not sure the race of the perp or vic so let me draw out a scenario:

Vic: Get out of my face man, fuck you p******

Perp: What did you call me n********? 

*fists fly between multiple people before the perp eventually pulls out a knife and proceeds to give the vic a second ass hole* 

You can flip the derogatory insults around, it could involve entirely other races even but my original point still stands.

I don't know any details beyond what I just read in that CBC article and what I saw in the Whitecaps' tweet the other day. However, it most definitely wouldn't have been a house party. The article says that police were called to an incident at Hastings Street and Kensington in Burnaby. There are no houses there. On the south-east corner is Kensington Plaza shopping strip. The north-east corner is a Shell gas station. The north-west corner is fenced-off green space that is part of the Shell oil refinery on the banks of Burrard Inlet just to the north. The incident probably occurred in green space at the south-west corner, which surrounds Kensington Pool. I imagine that it's a place that teenagers might gather on a nice, summer's evening, although it wasn't really a gathering point when I was in high school at Burnaby North, which is just a stone's throw away from that spot, just to the south-west.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

I don't know any details beyond what I just read in that CBC article and what I saw in the Whitecaps' tweet the other day. However, it most definitely wouldn't have been a house party. The article says that police were called to an incident at Hastings Street and Kensington in Burnaby. There are no houses there. On the south-east corner is Kensington Plaza shopping strip. The north-east corner is a Shell gas station. The north-west corner is fenced-off green space that is part of the Shell oil refinery on the banks of Burrard Inlet just to the north. The incident probably occurred in green space at the south-west corner, which surrounds Kensington Pool. I imagine that it's a place that teenagers might gather on a nice, summer's evening, although it wasn't really a gathering point when I was in high school at Burnaby North, which is just a stone's throw away from that spot, just to the south-west.

I know it's not a "house party" as it was a outdoor event but the same variables are at play here. 

Tell me this, what do you believe to be more likely, a bunch of kids going at it yelling racial slurs at each other while the violence escalates or some strange Jussie Smollet like story of Magatards planning a racially charged attack against some kids like the Caps are insinuating? Be honest. 

As someone who lives in the area your going to have to search pretty long and hard to find a red neck racist teenager in that area. In fact I just got home from metrotown and the wanna be thug life is the prevailing culture. Its crazy the language kids of all backgrounds use nowadays but not in the kkk type of way but in the yoyoyo type of way. It just makes me shake my head at the level of ignorance. But I guess its tough to blame them, theyre impressionable youth looking for status and the garbage is sold to them from every angle. Kids fighting is going to happen but the ridiculous ignorant language has been completely normalized

Edited by SpursFlu

8 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

As someone who lives in the area your going to have to search pretty long and hard to find a red neck racist teenager in that area. In fact I just got home from metrotown and the wanna be thug life is the prevailing culture. Its crazy the language kids of all backgrounds use nowadays but not in the kkk type of way but in the yoyoyo type of way. It just makes me shake my head at the level of ignorance. But I guess its tough to blame them, theyre impressionable youth looking for status and the garbage is sold to them from every angle. Kids fighting is going to happen but the ridiculous ignorant language has been completely normalized

Kids nowadays are ashamed to admit they may have an extensive vocabulary or at least one that goes beyond what you hear in a hip hop song/video.