General MLS Talk 2021

Big_M

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We often talk about how much more Canadians are playing in MLS but I think a bit of context as to how massive the growth of Canadians in MLS has been in the past 4 seasons.

In 2006 - the year before TFC started, there were 4 Canadians in MLS and they played 7,816 minutes

In 2007 when TFC joined there were 18 and they played 17,275 minutes

In 2011 Vancouver joined and 19  Canadians played and they played 20,323 minutes

In 2012 Montreal joined and 17 Canadians played 21,908 minutes.  This was the high water mark of minutes until 2018.

In 2018 a new renaissance started and 35 Canadians played 28,064 minutes.

This year through Mach-day 29 (out of 34) there have been 46 Canadians who have played 36,084 minutes.

Canadian players are on pace to play over 40,000 minutes in MLS for the first time ever this year.

This really is a banner year for Canadians in MLS and we are now in uncharted territory for depth and quality for Canadian soccer.  

I’m actually truly surprised when I went through the FB ref database how much larger and deeper the player pool has gotten in the past 5 years.  It’s actually remarkable.

Ok got to get this off my chest, I’m a big TFC fan , but will criticize them when needed . I’m also an MLS fan and actually watch non TFC games when I can and get the chance on DAZN , and listen to MLS podcasts when I can , however , a few things need to change if this league wants to be taken seriously. First off the schedule , it makes no sense, it seems like teams just randomly play each other and just make up the schedule before the season starts . There is no real structure to the schedule unless I’m missing something. There are two conferences east and west, so then try to have some sort of balance schedule if you can , but there is no such thing I don’t think. Are teams in the east playing each team in the east twice home and away? It’s like they just pick make it up as they go each team just randomly makes it’s up it’s own schedule, this is a joke and to top it all off they actually crown a regular season champion without having any kind of balance schedule , this is a joke . Moreover, their playoffs are a joke , a one game knockout playoff instead of a two game home and away series like they use to have. So a team like New England who has dominated the regular season can go out in a one game knockout playoff wth no chance to play a second game . A bad team can get lucky in a one game knockout but it’s hard for a bad team to get lucky in a two game home and away series . If this league wants to get looked at as a serious league the schedule and the playoff format needs to change because as it is now the schedule and the playoff format is a bit of a joke .

4 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Ok got to get this off my chest, I’m a big TFC fan , but will criticize them when needed . I’m also an MLS fan and actually watch non TFC games when I can and get the chance on DAZN , and listen to MLS podcasts when I can , however , a few things need to change if this league wants to be taken seriously. First off the schedule , it makes no sense, it seems like teams just randomly play each other and just make up the schedule before the season starts . There is no real structure to the schedule unless I’m missing something. There are two conferences east and west, so then try to have some sort of balance schedule if you can , but there is no such thing I don’t think. Are teams in the east playing each team in the east twice home and away? It’s like they just pick make it up as they go each team just randomly makes it’s up it’s own schedule, this is a joke and to top it all off they actually crown a regular season champion without having any kind of balance schedule , this is a joke . Moreover, their playoffs are a joke , a one game knockout playoff instead of a two game home and away series like they use to have. So a team like New England who has dominated the regular season can go out in a one game knockout playoff wth no chance to play a second game . A bad team can get lucky in a one game knockout but it’s hard for a bad team to get lucky in a two game home and away series . If this league wants to get looked at as a serious league the schedule and the playoff format needs to change because as it is now the schedule and the playoff format is a bit of a joke .

I'm hoping the scheduling issue is only temporary due to covid. 

5 hours ago, SoccMan said:

The schedule will continue to fluctuate because they keep adding teams each year.  It's impossible to set the schedule evenly until they've finished expanding.

I like the current playoff format much more than the two legged version. Under the old format, there were far too many games with one team playing ultra conservative because they didn't want to give up the away goal. Under the new format, there's more of a reward for finishing higher in the standing - you get home field advantage in a one game playoff.  With only 7 teams in each conference making the playoffs, I don't think you really have any "bad" teams making it anymore.  As well, the one game playoff works quite well for the NFL, and league cup games in Europe seem to use the one-game playoff quite frequently, so I don't think you can say MLS "won't be taken seriously" without two legs.  Finally, I'd much rather MLS take more/longer breaks during international events than have a longer playoffs.  Something has to give in the players calendar, and I'm more than happy to shave a few playoff games off of it.

Relative val chart showing MLS clubs currently trade at a revenue multiple nearly 2x certain other major professional sports league. This comes from an article about PE looking into ownership. It has already occurred in Europe as lots of values to be found.

https://huddleup.substack.com/p/institutional-investors-are-allocating?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoxMTQ4NDkxNywicG9zdF9pZCI6NDM3NDQ2OTcsIl8iOiJCZFV4UCIsImlhdCI6MTYzNjQ5ODQ2MCwiZXhwIjoxNjM2NTAyMDYwLCJpc3MiOiJwdWItMTc5MjIiLCJzdWIiOiJwb3N0LXJlYWN0aW9uIn0.NeVMN4Yh6QxgLQRL0P94j7L7Dvdzyj9x9-HXYbmE_bU

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_21a4ac5e-9317-49c4-a53c-4d28080ae56e_1812x924.jpeg

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, red card said:

Relative val chart showing MLS clubs currently trade at a revenue multiple nearly 2x certain other major professional sports league. This comes from an article about PE looking into ownership. It has already occurred in Europe as lots of values to be found.

https://huddleup.substack.com/p/institutional-investors-are-allocating?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoxMTQ4NDkxNywicG9zdF9pZCI6NDM3NDQ2OTcsIl8iOiJCZFV4UCIsImlhdCI6MTYzNjQ5ODQ2MCwiZXhwIjoxNjM2NTAyMDYwLCJpc3MiOiJwdWItMTc5MjIiLCJzdWIiOiJwb3N0LXJlYWN0aW9uIn0.NeVMN4Yh6QxgLQRL0P94j7L7Dvdzyj9x9-HXYbmE_bU

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_21a4ac5e-9317-49c4-a53c-4d28080ae56e_1812x924.jpeg

I think I would very much question the "average value" of an MLS side being $550m. That seems ludicrously high.

Edit: To be clear, I can see that's what Sportico is valuing the teams at. But that's about double the last Forbes valuation I can find, and would have all the teams jumping an extraordinary amount while revenues slid during the pandemic. So I think I'm questioning Sportico quite a bit here.

Edited by Watchmen

15 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think I would very much question the "average value" of an MLS side being $550m. That seems ludicrously high.

Edit: To be clear, I can see that's what Sportico is valuing the teams at. But that's about double the last Forbes valuation I can find, and would have all the teams jumping an extraordinary amount while revenues slid during the pandemic. So I think I'm questioning Sportico quite a bit here.

Sort of answering my own question: I forgot about SUM. The team values are high because of some factors like the sports growth potential and no relegation (so you're always guaranteed to be in the top league), but the real key is SUM, which makes a ton of money and doesn't get disclosed in that revenue chart. MLS teams are still probably overvalued but that does make some more sense now.

orlando declines nani so hes gone...good call turning 36 next year so was not worth it...mueller gone also for free to hibernian..pereyra maybe also as well as akindele...without forgetting dike and pato...lots of turnover in the offensive spots will the players they bring be up to it

Nani announces departure from Orlando City SC after contract expires