General MLS Talk 2021

Big_M

8 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I was expecting an agreement, but seven years,  what did the owners give up?  That brings great stability to the league.

The way I understand it is the owners will pay the players full salary during the pandemic ravaged season(s), while a 2 year extension to this CBA allows them to recover lost revenue and profits, especially since the 2 year extension includes the 2 years after WC2026.

On 2/6/2021 at 12:07 AM, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I was expecting an agreement, but seven years,  what did the owners give up?  That brings great stability to the league.

Or in other words, another 7 years of playing it safe. Complicated comp rules will remain or get more complicated. Chance of winning CCL remains unchanged.  

Owners remain undefeated. Players choked again.

3 hours ago, red card said:

Or in other words, another 7 years of playing it safe. Complicated comp rules will remain or get more complicated. Chance of winning CCL remains unchanged.  

Owners remain undefeated. Players choked again.

Don't know if choked is the right word. The players were in a bind. Too many still living mostly pay cheque to pay cheque (they're not poor but they're not wealthy) and the union didn't have a big enough war chest yet to compensate everyone. This isn't the other leagues in North America, where even the lowest paid athlete makes high 6 figures a year. 

Hey everyone. I never go to the MLS portion of this forum, so apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere. But I haven't seen any comments section on the mlssoccer.com site for a while now (weeks I think). Does anybody know what's going on there? Have they just scrapped the idea of having comments on articles?

If you answer, please quote me or @ me so that I see it even though I don't follow this thread.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

Hey everyone. I never go to the MLS portion of this forum, so apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere. But I haven't seen any comments section on the mlssoccer.com site for a while now (weeks I think). Does anybody know what's going on there? Have they just scrapped the idea of having comments on articles?

If you answer, please quote me or @ me so that I see it even though I don't follow this thread.

Hey Kent, I noticed the same thing.  Just before the comments disappeared, I think one of the commenters was setting up a bunch of false accounts and downvoting everything everybody wrote.  They're probably clearing this up.  I say this because I believe it happened about five years ago as well.  That time the MLS website closed comments for about three months and then restarted. 

I could be wrong here, but since it has happened before and I did notice all the -11 downvotes all over before they stopped showing them, I'm leaning toward this theory.

Edited by Trois Reds

12 minutes ago, Big_M said:

they removed comments around the time of blm

I thought they closed the comments on a couple articles that had some offensive comments (during MLS Is Back, when the BLM movement was most at the forefront), but didn't close it for everything until sometime in the offseason.

6 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

League start date has now been pushed back to April 17th, which bodes well for the prospect of Canadian teams not having to relocate to the US and Canadian national teams players as there won't be much in the way of conflict for Nat & Olympic qualifiers

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/02/10/mls-2021-regular-season-starts-april-17

No, the Whitecaps are looking at relocating to Utah:

10 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Ah, now they can do 2-week quarantines when they get home from the international games!

Maybe if they kick off with 6-weeks of Canada-only games.

Gosh, what does that do to the 2020 Voyageurs Cup and Champions League? 

Same article mentions that if TFC wins the Voyagers Cup and moves on to the Champions League, they aren't likely to come back to Canda due to the 2 week quarantine period.  This also scuttles the "all Canadian teams" games like last year, except for a possible home and away for Vancouver and Montreal.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

No, the Whitecaps are looking at relocating to Utah:

Same article mentions that if TFC wins the Voyagers Cup and moves on to the Champions League, they aren't likely to come back to Canda due to the 2 week quarantine period.  This also scuttles the "all Canadian teams" games like last year, except for a possible home and away for Vancouver and Montreal.

This article says that the first round of the CCL will take place before the MLS season starts:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/02/10/concacaf-champions-league-2021-draw-mixed-fortunes-mls-clubs-round-16

"All MLS clubs will play their first leg on the road on April 6-8 with the return legs to be played April 13-15" - this means TFC has to return to Canada or return to the US if they are playing out of the US to play there before they start the MLS season.

TFC, if they beat Forge, will be playing Club Leon of Mexico. If they surpass that, the quarter-finals are held end of April/early May, then the rest of the tourney is not until August.

I suspect perhaps we will see the Canadian games in a concentrated block but perhaps after early May to avoid any CCL intanglements. After that period expires there's no reason that I can see to have Canadian teams playing each other in the US.

i know this makes MLS roster rules even MORE convoluted than they already are but this is a huge step in MLS' intention to be a selling league 

key notes:

- no limits on transfer/loan fees, salaries will be capped at the maximum salary budget charge ($612,500 in 2021). these u22 players will hit the cap at $150,000 or $200,000

- players must be younger than 23 at the end of their first season in the league to qualify. once signed, a player can maintain his status as U-22 signing until the season in which he turns 25

- teams will be allowed to sign either one or up to three players under the U-22 initiative, depending on the number and age of their current DPs.

- teams that have three DPs who are all over the age of 23 and ineligible to be bought off DP status with TAM will only be allowed to sign one player under the U-22 initiative; teams with at least one DP who is 23 or younger or one of any age who can be bought down with TAM will be able to sign up to three players under the U-22 initiative.

- essentially, clubs that are all-in on bringing in high-priced, older DPs won’t be able to take as much advantage of the U-22 initiative as clubs that have already sprinkled at least one younger or cheaper DP into the mix

- sources expect that current MLS players will be allowed to be grandfathered into the designation as long as they meet the qualifications for eligibility

- homegrown players and SuperDraft selections will be eligible for the U-22 tag