General MLS Talk 2021

Big_M

This is smart by this guy and I think also a blessing in disguise for MLS. MLS needs to build out what it has and I think with an expanded Champions league it should just really focus on growing interest, quality and credibility with what it currently has. Work on USL as a foundation for young domestic talent and stop with these cash grabs/real estate deals

• 2 weeks later...

Vasquez probably one of the best players I’ve seen put on a TFC jersey. He was part of the same Barcelona academy team as Iniesta Messi and a few other great Barcelona players who went on to make that team one of the best ever. He was destined to play on the first team with those players but a serious injury just before he was going to make the jump with those guys to the first team ruined his chances unfortunately. However , it was not hard to see his talents and he played a major role in that magical TFC 2017 season and also TFC’s incredible run in the Champions League.

• 2 weeks later...

The MLS will be one of the leagues that FIFA has approved to allow the concussion substitution. It looks like on top of the 5 regular substitutions a team can make during a game another two substitutions can be made if a player suffers  a head injury . It will be up to the team to determine if the substitution they are making is because of a head injury after being examined by a doctor. If it’s a head injury sub then the team still keeps whatever amount of the five regular subs it has. However, if I read it correctly, whenever one team makes one of these concussion substitutions the other team are giving an added concussion substitution too. This is to safeguard against teams trying to use this new substitution rule to try to get an advantage over the other team and fake a head injury. Anyways I might not be explaining this rule well , but regardless I’m happy that this new rule is in place in the MLS and hopefully will be adapted world wide and it’s about time .

Are we going the way of hockey or house league soccer with unlimited substitutions? I thought the 5 subs was for the games being played during the covid pandemic, I never really understood the relation there, Scotland has experimented with a further substitute during extra time of cup matches and now 5 subs becomes 7 if doctors say the injury is concussion related! If a player is hurt and can't continue what difference does it make specifically what the injury is, I suppose an argument can be made this will prevent a player from continuing with a head injury but isn't that the doctor's job to deem whether they can continue or not regardless of the sub situation? I have slowly been getting used to the 5 subs but really don't like it, it favours the bigger teams with more squad depth and to see the potential of all but 4 starters subbed out to me quite frankly is bullshit and cheapens the beautiful game! Get the participation trophies ready!

2 hours ago, gator said:

Are we going the way of hockey or house league soccer with unlimited substitutions? I thought the 5 subs was for the games being played during the covid pandemic, I never really understood the relation there, Scotland has experimented with a further substitute during extra time of cup matches and now 5 subs becomes 7 if doctors say the injury is concussion related! If a player is hurt and can't continue what difference does it make specifically what the injury is, I suppose an argument can be made this will prevent a player from continuing with a head injury but isn't that the doctor's job to deem whether they can continue or not regardless of the sub situation? I have slowly been getting used to the 5 subs but really don't like it, it favours the bigger teams with more squad depth and to see the potential of all but 4 starters subbed out to me quite frankly is bullshit and cheapens the beautiful game! Get the participation trophies ready!

The other thing I have been wondering about is the extra allowance for cynical fouls to disrupt plays. 

2 hours ago, gator said:

The move to 5 subs was due to the compressed fixture schedules when football resumed after the initial Covid shutdown. The understanding was that they'd return to the standard 3 subs from the start of next season, when the calendar is more or less back to normal.

Anything that helps with players well being I’m for,  especially when it comes to head injuries , these players still have hopefully the majority of their lives to live after their careers are over at what 35 more or less? I could give two shits about the sanctity of the game and what not,  if rules like this help in anyway with head injuries. Moreover, this game needs to evolve and make some changes if it wants to keeps it’s place as the world’s most popular sport. Change is not a bad word even when it comes to this sport . Moreover, any rules that can be implemented that can take away the diving, the time waisting and so on in a game were one goal a lot of times is all you need to win  a game I’m all for it. A rule like this substitution rule brought in to deal with head injuries is a very good start .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, narduch said:

There is talk of Canada and the US working on re-opening the borders. This may bode well for the 3 Canadian MLS teams. 

They may at least be able to play at their real homes. And eventually with fans.

I would keep an eye on the NHL for the border issue. There's guaranteed to be a Canadian team in the final 4. Suspect they'll work to get clearance to travel back and forth, and MLS can follow in it's wake.

There is a lot of stupid going around now a days, but this might be one of the stupidest policies out there. 

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2021/5/17/22441391/sounders-amend-policy-for-vaccinated-section-masks-now-optional

The Seattle Sounders made a small but important change to their vaccination policy on Monday that will allow fans to more loudly scream in full voice.

Starting with the match against Atlanta United on May 23, fans who sit in one of the designated vaccinated section may cheer on the Sounders without having to keep their masks on. Fans who provide adequate proof of vaccination will receive a wristband, allowing them to discard masks for the duration of matches going forward.

This is a change to the club policy that was announced on May 11, and comes following the revised guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. On May 13, the CDC announced that fully vaccinated persons could dispatch masks while indoors or outdoors, though local businesses can still require them to wear masks while at their establishments.

There are several caveats to the change in policy. “While fans that are eligible for vaccinated sections that are wristbanded no longer have to wear masks, children who are not fully vaccinated at this time but who test into these sections must continue wearing masks,” according to a release from the team.

Additionally, fans who either have not been vaccinated, or sit in socially-distanced seating, will still have to wear masks. “For fans in physically distanced sections, there are no changes to the club’s existing policy, and masks are still required when not actively eating or drinking,” according to the release.

The Sounders will still require vaccinated and non-vaccinated fans to wear masks while on the concourses. Fans can download a copy of their vaccination records at the Washington State Department of Health.

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

There is a lot of stupid going around now a days, but this might be one of the stupidest policies out there. 

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2021/5/17/22441391/sounders-amend-policy-for-vaccinated-section-masks-now-optional

The Seattle Sounders made a small but important change to their vaccination policy on Monday that will allow fans to more loudly scream in full voice.

Starting with the match against Atlanta United on May 23, fans who sit in one of the designated vaccinated section may cheer on the Sounders without having to keep their masks on. Fans who provide adequate proof of vaccination will receive a wristband, allowing them to discard masks for the duration of matches going forward.

This is a change to the club policy that was announced on May 11, and comes following the revised guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. On May 13, the CDC announced that fully vaccinated persons could dispatch masks while indoors or outdoors, though local businesses can still require them to wear masks while at their establishments.

There are several caveats to the change in policy. “While fans that are eligible for vaccinated sections that are wristbanded no longer have to wear masks, children who are not fully vaccinated at this time but who test into these sections must continue wearing masks,” according to a release from the team.

Additionally, fans who either have not been vaccinated, or sit in socially-distanced seating, will still have to wear masks. “For fans in physically distanced sections, there are no changes to the club’s existing policy, and masks are still required when not actively eating or drinking,” according to the release.

The Sounders will still require vaccinated and non-vaccinated fans to wear masks while on the concourses. Fans can download a copy of their vaccination records at the Washington State Department of Health.

How does this compare to other US based clubs?

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Sorry for being dense but what were the conspiracy theories?

The one thing I always remember is people saying that SUM was the real money maker for MLS clubs. So in that sense this will be bad for MLS 

One of the most often cited on US soccer interwebs was that a run of the mill MLS player was selected over an Euro-based player to the national team because of a MLS quota and/or it was part of the deal to promote MLS. It is one of the reasons why there was lots of pushback when Klinnsman said US players should be heading to Europe rather than coming back to MLS.

As with conspiracy theories, it was caused by overlapping and conflicting interests and little transparency. Core USMNT followers believed MLS interests were put first over USSF interests. Prime example often cited was the tv contract as the USSF got only about 28% of it. Yes, MLS has more inventory but US women & men matches easily got higher ratings and engagement.

Some are saying the split is now occurring because of the legal issues facing USSF from the women. This will now allow them to unbundle the women and men's rights. So, if the women's rights get less, then it is due to market forces rather than USSF's unfair practices. Though, with no need for US men qualifiers for 2026, the rights will largely be driven by the women's matches.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Gotta wonder which front office guys are going to be thrown under the bus for this one.

They threw the front office guy who'd already gone to Atlanta.  League suspended him for a year.

Honestly, the fine to the club doesn't matter (they won't care). The claw back of approx $2m in variance funds might. Interesting to see how it impacts their salary cap, which is what matters more. Would have liked to have seen a forfeiture of a DP slot for a year or two as well.