Theo Corbeanu

jordan

10 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

it was pretty cool to have two Canadians play in the same game in LaLiga.

Even though they weren’t on the pitch at the same time, is this the first time two Canadians have played in the same match in La Liga? In any of the top 5 leagues?

1 hour ago, Treppy2 said:

Even though they weren’t on the pitch at the same time, is this the first time two Canadians have played in the same match in La Liga? In any of the top 5 leagues?

Yallop and Forrest played together with Ipswich (under the great John Lyall)

Radzinski and Stalteri definitely played against each other in the Premier League - were London rivals. 

Probably Hoilett and Simeon Jackon as well.

Not sure whether Arfield and Junior crossed paths at one point, though it might be pre-Canada for Arfield.

Might be a few more. 

2 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

Top 5 leagues definitely not. Stalteri assisted a Friend goal I believe in the bundesliga and Stalteri and Mckenna played against each other and each scored in a bundesliga match. 

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Yallop and Forrest played together with Ipswich (under the great John Lyall)

Radzinski and Stalteri definitely played against each other in the Premier League - were London rivals. 

Probably Hoilett and Simeon Jackon as well.

Not sure whether Arfield and Junior crossed paths at one point, though it might be pre-Canada for Arfield.

Might be a few more. 

Here's the results of my research:

Ike Ugbo and Jonathan David started against each other on June 3, 2023 in Ligue 1.  

I did confirm Hoilett and Jackson were on the pitch at least twice against each other for a few minutes (Norwich vs. Blackburn 2011, Norwich vs QPR 2012)

Paul Stalteri and JDG played each other multiple times in the Bundesliga in the early 2000's.  Then later on, Rob Friend, Olivier Occean, Marcel de Jong, Kevin McKenna, Daniel Imhof and even Simeon Jackson all had BL careers that overlapped and I'm sure they played against/with each other a few times (but I was too lazy to correlate).

But Arfield and Junior never did face each other in the Premiership after Arfield declared in 2016 - their careers basically never overlapped there.

Edited by GasPed

12 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Here's the results of my research:

Ike Ugbo and Jonathan David started against each other on June 3, 2023 in Ligue 1.  

I did confirm Hoilett and Jackson were on the pitch at least twice against each other for a few minutes (Norwich vs. Blackburn 2011, Norwich vs QPR 2012)

Paul Stalteri and JDG played each other multiple times in the Bundesliga in the early 2000's.  Then later on, Rob Friend, Olivier Occean, Marcel de Jong, Kevin McKenna, Daniel Imhof and even Simeon Jackson all had BL careers that overlapped and I'm sure they played against/with each other a few times (but I was too lazy to correlate).

But Arfield and Junior never did face each other in the Premiership after Arfield declared in 2016 - their careers basically never overlapped there.

Thanks for that.

I was thinking after whether David Edgar overlapped anyone, I know his appearances were few far and between but he was there for a bit.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Thanks for that.

I was thinking after whether David Edgar overlapped anyone, I know his appearances were few far and between but he was there for a bit.

The answer is no!  (I think 😉).  I see that Edgar and Stalteri actually played in the same game, but missed each other by 3 minutes (Edgar subbed on at 87', Stalteri off at 84', Newcastle vs Fulham, Mar 22, 2008).

Now please please don't ask another question and take advantage of my OCD.   Thanks.  ;) 

8 hours ago, spitfire said:

bit of a disrespectful sub really bringing him on with 75 secs left..

I once read a piece where the reporter asked Rafa Benitez about making what look like meaningless subs late in games. His response was a bit enlightening. Most players get bonuses in their contract for appearances. So, if the manager thinks that Theo's been training well with the first team, but the circumstances (in his judgement) weren't right for him to come on earlier, he might make a sub in the dying seconds to ensure that the player clocked his bonus. Not sure if that's what was happening here, but it's another perspective.

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I once read a piece where the reporter asked Rafa Benitez about making what look like meaningless subs late in games. His response was a bit enlightening. Most players get bonuses in their contract for appearances. So, if the manager thinks that Theo's been training well with the first team, but the circumstances (in his judgement) weren't right for him to come on earlier, he might make a sub in the dying seconds to ensure that the player clocked his bonus. Not sure if that's what was happening here, but it's another perspective.

From experience (my playing and other I know) the bonuses come if you start, play 45 or 30. Never seen a bonus for 75 secs most bonuses also are only if the team wins .. but maybe ur right ..

Almería changed theirs, won their first game of the season, are now a point behind. So Granada has the brilliant idea to fire theirs. They're in a crucial battle to not come last, it's going to be thrilling. 

For Theo at least they won't have an Uruguayan playing the Uruguayans by default, including the guy supposedly ahead of him in the roster.

They've hired Sandoval, a greying coach from Madrid, classic sort of guy who's only ever been given similar level teams, but who famously saved them from relegation ten years ago.

Apparently he was already at the training session this morning. 

These are the sorts of hard-knocks coaches the modest teams should always hire, not these hipster guys from another continent (or from Rio de la Plata) who are as arrogant as Javier F makes them out to be and are lost in La Liga.

La Liga is all Spanish coaches, with those few exceptions who really know what they are doing and really know the league (Aguirre at Mallorca, Ancelotti, Pellegrino at Betis, Diego Simeone). Average age in the mid 50s. Aguirre has coached over 500 games in La Liga, Simeone has 670 only at Atlético! These guys are monuments to their profession.

He's in pics 5, 21 and 27 in these shots from Tuesdays session with the new coach. 

https://www.granadahoy.com/granadacf/Jose-Ramon-Sandoval-Granada-CF-entrenamiento_3_1885941405.html#slide-27

In this video (boy has Sandoval put on weight) he appears a lot, around 1:05 the coach says something to him as he goes by with the ball.

https://www.abc.es/deportes/futbol/sandoval-entrena-granada-busca-salvacion-20240319220307-vi.html

doubt Corbeanu understands Spanish but if he speaks Romanian it'll come quickly, usually they learn it very fast. Anyone know if he does?

Truth be told: it benefits him to be there and not in the Canada camp with the new coach come in and 12 days of training before the next match.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's in pics 5, 21 and 27 in these shots from Tuesdays session with the new coach. 

https://www.granadahoy.com/granadacf/Jose-Ramon-Sandoval-Granada-CF-entrenamiento_3_1885941405.html#slide-27

In this video (boy has Sandoval put on weight) he appears a lot, around 1:05 the coach says something to him as he goes by with the ball.

https://www.abc.es/deportes/futbol/sandoval-entrena-granada-busca-salvacion-20240319220307-vi.html

doubt Corbeanu understands Spanish but if he speaks Romanian it'll come quickly, usually they learn it very fast. Anyone know if he does?

Truth be told: it benefits him to be there and not in the Canada camp with the new coach come in and 12 days of training before the next match.

I believe he was speaking Spanish in a hype/intro video when he first joined. 

9 hours ago, costarg said:

The timing of it all really worked out well.

Oddly, yes. It might actually make not being called in less troublesome for him, if indeed he was snubbed. Which I am not sure of, it is possible they had some sort of deal. 

Theo refused a call into a Canada window during qualifiers, in mid-January 2022, I believe, which put Herdman off and perhaps put him on the outside for a few months. IIRC, but I think he was sorting out a new loan deal or had club issues, and opted out. Maybe I am wrong about the dates and details. But he has not been one of those guys who is all in always.

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

I believe he was speaking Spanish in a hype/intro video when he first joined. 

As a Spanish and Catalan speaker, I find I can understand a lot of Italian, and especially Brazilian Portuguese. I can watch the news. They are languages you access with a couple Romance languages; then if you want more you have to study, obviously. But if there is one other language I can get a small part of with that foundation, it is Romanian, which is very Latin based. I can catch the Spanish words in Tagalog, nothing more, but part of Romanian (say 10-15%) I can get (no full meaning though). 

The Romanians who have come to Spain learn very quickly, as do the guys from the Balkans, and with decent accents.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Oddly, yes. It might actually make not being called in less troublesome for him, if indeed he was snubbed. Which I am not sure of, it is possible they had some sort of deal. 

Theo refused a call into a Canada window during qualifiers, in mid-January 2022, I believe, which put Herdman off and perhaps put him on the outside for a few months. IIRC, but I think he was sorting out a new loan deal or had club issues, and opted out. Maybe I am wrong about the dates and details. But he has not been one of those guys who is all in always.

I don't think it was for WCQs.