Theo Corbeanu

jordan

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You've never watched Spanish football in your life. It is just country bumpkin stuff.

I should stay out of it but I can't help it.... what's with the country bumpkin stuff?

Is the implication here that English fans are somehow unsophisticated compared to the almighty Spanish?

I gotta tell you man, I am a big fan of Spain in general. Beautiful place. I love the Spanish language. I love the technical football you find in Spain and by extension the rest of Latin America. I wish we had more of that influence in Canada. There is a beauty about it all...

But sometimes, the way you get on, it really turns me off.

I really appreciate you giving us insights into Spanish football, but it's times like these I wish it didn't come with this nonsense and it really makes me wish we had another Spanish expert on here, one that was not so insecure or insulting towards the so-called less sophisticated.

Rant over.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But why are we comparing leagues dominated by quality players representing pools able to win World Cups, Euros, youth world cups, like Germany, Italy, Spain, with a league like Championship, dominated by English footballers, who are their football inferiors?

I'm isolating this part, because I think it's a good point. I understand the Championship is a good league, but La Liga is the top flight in Spain and we have a Canadian playing some of the best teams in the world right now who wasn't selected. No player in the Championship plays Arsenal, Liverpool, etc., week in and out. They may get the chance in a cup tie, but it's not consistent.

And even with that, it was confirmed earlier in the thread that Granada is still considered above any Championship team that has Canadian players. Our championship players are not just squad filler. They're mostly our starters as well.  Somehow, though, Corbeanu (who also already played in the Championship) was left out.

I just don't understand the logic of that decision. Yes. Corbeanu has not played a whole lot for Granada, but coming off the bench in three of five possible games and scoring is impressive -- especially for a 21-year-old. 

1 hour ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I'm isolating this part, because I think it's a good point. I understand the Championship is a good league, but La Liga is the top flight in Spain and we have a Canadian playing some of the best teams in the world right now who wasn't selected. No player in the Championship plays Arsenal, Liverpool, etc., week in and out. They may get the chance in a cup tie, but it's not consistent.

And even with that, it was confirmed earlier in the thread that Granada is still considered above any Championship team that has Canadian players. Our championship players are not just squad filler. They're mostly our starters as well.  Somehow, though, Corbeanu (who also already played in the Championship) was left out.

I just don't understand the logic of that decision. Yes. Corbeanu has not played a whole lot for Granada, but coming off the bench in three of five possible games and scoring is impressive -- especially for a 21-year-old. 

I don't think its a league thing -  as much as people have made it - , it is not getting great minutes - yet - on a poor team thing.  We know what Theo can do, and, cynically, he is cap-tied.  At this point, I wouldn't call him up even he were still at Wolves, who are better team, and got another cameo. 

The comparison of playing Arsenal and Liverpool is a little off, I think.  He hasn't been playing Barcelona (he had an opportunity after being there a bit and already getting minutes) or Real Madrid or Athletico week in and out.  When he does, of course we call him but he needs show he can make a spot his own, especially on a poor team. The move is permenant, give it some time. 

And poor teams are poor teams, leagues sometimes aside.  For instance, having unfortunately seen them a couple times this year, Rotherham United in the Championship are worse than a number of League 1 teams and probably a bunch of teams in the Spanish third division, for all I know. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I don't think its a league thing -  as much as people have made it - , it is not getting great minutes - yet - on a poor team thing.  We know what Theo can do, and, cynically, he is cap-tied.  At this point, I wouldn't call him up even he were still at Wolves, who are better team, and got another cameo. 

The comparison of playing Arsenal and Liverpool is a little off, I think.  He hasn't been playing Barcelona (he had an opportunity after being there a bit and already getting minutes) or Real Madrid or Athletico week in and out.  When he does, of course we call him but he needs show he can make a spot his own, especially on a poor team. The move is permenant, give it some time. 

And poor teams are poor teams, leagues sometimes aside.  For instance, having unfortunately seen them a couple times this year, Rotherham United in the Championship are worse than a number of League 1 teams and probably a bunch of teams in the Spanish third division, for all I know. 

In the three games he came on, he played sixth-place Real Sociedad, ninth-place Las Palmas, and 11th-place Villareal (whom he scored on).

Funnily enough, the only game he didn't play in other than Barça was against last-place Almeria. So, the competition has been strong and he has top-half teams Valencia, Athletic Club, Osasuna and Real Madrid still to come. 

With regard to your point about minutes, I think he has played a role for Granada in the short time he's been there. He's normally been first or second off the bench, and has made the most of his chances.

19 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

In the three games he came on, he played sixth-place Real Sociedad, ninth-place Las Palmas, and 11th-place Villareal (whom he scored on).

Funnily enough, the only game he didn't play in other than Barça was against last-place Almeria. So, the competition has been strong and he has top-half teams Valencia, Athletic Club, Osasuna and Real Madrid still to come. 

With regard to your point about minutes, I think he has played a role for Granada in the short time he's been there. He's normally been first or second off the bench, and has made the most of his chances.

None of those teams compare to Arsenal or Liverpool, for me at least (and I have seen some of them in Europe and watched most of Theo's minutes and some of Larin's). That's what I questioned.

He has started okay, I hope he progresses quickly. Same as I would if he were in the Premier League or the Championship.  He hasn't done enough yet.  

We are a better Canada, just being in a big league should not be enough -  unless you have proved things for Canada in the past or we are trying to bring you in for the first time. Just my opinion.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

15 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

None of those teams compare to Arsenal or Liverpool, for me at least (and I have seen some of them in Europe and watched most of Theo's minutes and some of Larin's). That's what I questioned.

He has started okay, I hope he progresses quickly. Same as I would if he were in the Premier League or the Championship.  He hasn't done enough yet.  

We are a better Canada, just being in a big league should not be enough -  unless you have proved things for Canada in the past or we are trying to bring you in for the first time. Just my opinion.

I threw Arsenal and Liverpool out there, but playing against the top half of La Liga is still pretty good competition and arguably a lot better than the Championship. 

Theo has played well for Canada when called, so he has proven himself and did so at a very young age. 

I'm glad you brought up Larin. He's also on a bottom-six La Liga team, has two league goals so far in 26 games and has been given plenty more minutes to prove himself. Yet, he is considered a top player for us. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King
Mallorca is bottom-six.

1 minute ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I threw Arsenal and Liverpool out there, but playing against the top half of La Liga is still pretty good competition and arguably a lot better than the Championship. 

Theo has played well for Canada when called, so he has proven himself and did so at a very young age. 

I'm glad you brought up Larin. He's also on a bottom-quarter La Liga team, has two league goals so far in 26 games and has been given plenty more minutes to prove himself. Yet, he is considered a top player for us. 

Theo has scored goals in blowouts against Bermuda and Martinque and has only played more than 21' minutes against the Cayman Islands and Aruba.  Comparing Larin's contribution to that is more than a little off. Let's be honest.

Playing at that level is great when it happens regularly.  My worry is that the kid from Man U is starting at RW and only a year older and has contributed more. 

5 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Theo has scored goals in blowouts against Bermuda and Martinque and has only played more than 21' minutes against the Cayman Islands and Aruba.  Comparing Larin's contribution to that is more than a little off. Let's be honest.

Playing at that level is great when it happens regularly.  My worry is that the kid from Man U is starting at RW and only a year older and has contributed more. 

I agree with you on this. I'm not comparing Larin's work for Canada to Theo's. When I mentioned his minutes, I meant his minutes for Mallorca. He's played a lot but hasn't contributed many goals.

I'm not sure which is better: Being given many chances and basically failing or not being given chances and generating modest production. I feel it's difficult to criticize Theo for lack of playing time. He's played well in the limited time given. 

Theo scored two goals for Canada in his teens. That's an amazing accomplishment, regardless of whether it was against Martinique or Bermuda. By the way, there are worse teams than those in Concacaf. Martinique especially is a regular darkhorse. 

11 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I agree with you on this. I'm not comparing Larin's work for Canada to Theo's. When I mentioned his minutes, I meant his minutes for Mallorca. He's played a lot but hasn't contributed many goals.

I'm not sure which is better: Being given many chances and basically failing or not being given chances and generating modest production. I feel it's difficult to criticize Theo for lack of playing time. He's played well in the limited time given. 

Theo scored two goals for Canada in his teens. That's an amazing accomplishment, regardless of whether it was against Martinique or Bermuda. By the way, there are worse teams than those in Concacaf. Martinique especially is a regular darkhorse. 

It not about criticizing him.  It just about the realities of picking the best squad for now and later.

One goal in a blowout against, in 63' minutes is just not enough of a sample size. No matter the league. For me.

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It not about criticizing him.  It just about the realities of picking the best squad for now and later.

One goal in a blowout against, in 63' minutes is just not enough of a sample size. No matter the league. For me.

That's fine, but I encourage you to consider his time at Grasshopper. He was one of their best and is still among the league's top assist producers even after not being there for months. 

14 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

That's fine, but I encourage you to consider his time at Grasshopper. He was one of their best and is still among the league's top assist producers even after not being there for months. 

Again he needs to settle where he is now and show a current run of playing time and form.  

Cheers for the discussion.

15 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Again he needs to settle where he is now and show a current run of playing time and form.  

Cheers for the discussion.

It’s just a convenient excuse - it really makes no sense if you critically think about it. He’s mid season and has played for the better part of it. At his new club he’s being used as a sub .. but guess what? For Canada he’ll be used as a sub too. So how can he be good enough to come off the bench in La Liga but not for Canada? 

6 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

how can he be good enough to come off the bench in La Liga but not for Canada? 

This is my point as well. Our Championship players are arguably starters. A guy on a bottom-six La Liga team with two goals in 26 games is a go-to goalscorer for us. But somehow for some, Corbeanu needs to prove himself and potentially shine for a mid-table La Liga side just to get called. It's bizarre. 

Edit: Just wanted to add, wouldn't it be something if he scored vs Mallorca this weekend? It's obviously a tall order, but who knows. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

21 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s just a convenient excuse - it really makes no sense if you critically think about it. He’s mid season and has played for the better part of it. At his new club he’s being used as a sub .. but guess what? For Canada he’ll be used as a sub too. So how can he be good enough to come off the bench in La Liga but not for Canada? 

Sorry, that is honestly is  a bit silly, you don't pick players who are going to be subs because they are subs.  

We are good enough at this point to be picking starting players. 

You pick the ones who are in the best form and/or have proved themselves to be difference-makers for your country or you want to make part of the squad.  

If he gets chances and develops his time will come.

13 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Sorry, that is honestly is  a bit silly, you don't pick players who are going to be subs because they are subs.  

You pick the ones who are in the best form and/or have proved themselves to be difference-makers for your country or you want to make part of the squad.  

I think he just means Theo is good enough to come off the bench for Granada so why not Canada? He's not saying Theo should make the team because he's currently a bench guy. 

39 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

This is my point as well. Our Championship players are arguably starters. A guy on a bottom-six La Liga team with two goals in 26 games is a go-to goalscorer for us. But somehow for some, Corbeanu needs to prove himself and potentially shine for a mid-table La Liga side just to get called. It's bizarre. 

Edit: Just wanted to add, wouldn't it be something if he scored vs Mallorca this weekend? It's obviously a tall order, but who knows. 

Sorry that's a strawman. No one said that.

He is in a poor side and so not getting enough minutes is even more of a concern. But the big concern is that he has not got those minutes.  If he was, you can overlook the teams position and look at his contribution. But we can't.

19 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I didn’t say that though, did I?

In general, I’m all for calling starters but there are exceptions. In the context of Theo Corbeanu, it’s a silly argument to say he should be left out because he’s had limited sub minutes since joining Granada. He played plenty earlier this season and is obviously fit but I’d be willing to bet he’s at peak confidence after opening his account in La Liga and could offer us something off the bench. 

5 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He is in a poor side and so not getting enough minutes is even more of a concern. But the big concern is that he has not got those minutes.  If he was, you can overlook the teams position and look at his contribution. But we can't.

I know you didn't say that. But read back a few pages. I threw that out as hyperbole and someone actually agreed with it. 

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I didn’t say that though, did I?

In general, I’m all for calling starters but there are exceptions. In the context of Theo Corbeanu, it’s a silly argument to say he should be left out because he’s had limited sub minutes since joining Granada. He played plenty earlier this season and is obviously fit but I’d be willing to bet he’s at peak confidence after opening his account in La Liga and could offer us something off the bench. 

And I think he needs to play more and others are more deserving or we want to integrate them at this moment.

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Does Shaffelburg get minutes at Granada?  Does he even get looks from a team like Granada or equivalent?  Would JRR?  Would Bair?  Hell, would Nelson?  Let's get real.  Does Corbeanu have to go to MLS, Norway or Scotland to get called up lol???

Edited by Footyeh

So this whole bizarre stream of posts is basically just some visceral level anti-MLS thing? Transfermarkt rates Shaffelburg's market value as being twice that of Corbeanu's:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/theo-corbeanu/profil/spieler/568535

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jacob-shaffelburg/profil/spieler/637632

Personally I'd place about as much trust in that as I would in the club rankings that have been used to assess the relative merits of Granada and English Championship clubs but it shows how you can easily use the internet to bolster both sides of this argument.

48 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

So this whole bizarre stream of posts is basically just some visceral level anti-MLS thing? Transfermarkt rates Shaffelburg's market value as being twice that of Corbeanu's:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/theo-corbeanu/profil/spieler/568535

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jacob-shaffelburg/profil/spieler/637632

Personally I'd place about as much trust in that as I would in the club rankings that have been used to assess the relative merits of Granada and English Championship clubs but it shows how you can easily use the internet to bolster both sides of this argument.

That link also says he's still playing for Blackpool. 

Edit: Also, I never argued for Corbeanu over Shaf. I argued for Corbeanu over JRR, who has a lower value than Corbeanu on Transfermarkt:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/jacen-russell-rowe/profil/spieler/683625

Edit 2: I see now at the top that Granada is listed as Corbeanu's club. In the headshot, it's listed as Blackpool for some reason. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

5 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Does Shaffelburg get minutes at Granada?  Does he even get looks from a team like Granada or equivalent?  Would JRR?  Would Bair?  Hell, would Nelson?  Let's get real.  Does Corbeanu have to go to MLS, Norway or Scotland to get called up lol???

Again we are getting a bit silly.  We can't call up established players on what they might do in a different league.  "If my aunty had..." comes to mind. 

Theo got there the end of January, he has not played the equivelent of a full game.  

It's great he has this chance, give him a chance to take it. 

It is also great people have this passion and that we can legitimately have this dicscussion.