Theo Corbeanu

jordan

16 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

That link also says he's still playing for Blackpool. 

Edit: Also, I never argued for Corbeanu over Shaf. I argued for Corbeanu over JRR, who has a lower value than Corbeanu on Transfermarkt:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/jacen-russell-rowe/profil/spieler/683625

Edit 2: I see now at the top that Granada is listed as Corbeanu's club. In the headshot, it's listed as Blackpool for some reason. 

Agreed. Theo should have been called ahead of JRR. 5 strikers is overkill on a 23 man roster. Especially when the 2 starters are set in stone.

And this isn't anti MLS. As I actually think Shaffelburg should be the 1st sub if we are desperate for a goal late and need to play more directly. 

13 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It is also great people have this passion and that we can legitimately have this dicscussion. 

Agreed.

Edit: For me, it's a renewed passion from the late '90s / early 2000s. I lost hope after circa 2010. But that's why when I see a young player with the range of high-level skills like Corbeanu, I enivision success again for the Nats and argue fervently for his inclusion. Of course, there are many other promising young players, which is also reassuring. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

What a shit show this thread became. And over what will likely have very little impact on the actual game. I definitely think he should’ve been called in over JRR but it’s not the absolute end of the world. I’m assuming we’ll be playing a 352 which doesn’t use wingers, and I prefer Davies, Millar, Shaf, Buchanan and Johnston (if not at RCB) all as wingbacks over Corbeanu. So I see why they’d call Shaf over Corbeanu. It does seem odd to have gone with JRR, because Corbeanu seems like a better option off the bench if we change tactics late in the game, but realistically it’s not that big of a deal. We’re not going to absolutely love every single one of the selections the manager makes.

5 minutes ago, archer21 said:

What a shit show this thread became. And over what will likely have very little impact on the actual game. I definitely think he should’ve been called in over JRR but it’s not the absolute end of the world. I’m assuming we’ll be playing a 352 which doesn’t use wingers, and I prefer Davies, Millar, Shaf, Buchanan and Johnston (if not at RCB) all as wingbacks over Corbeanu. So I see why they’d call Shaf over Corbeanu. It does seem odd to have gone with JRR, because Corbeanu seems like a better option off the bench if we change tactics late in the game, but realistically it’s not that big of a deal. We’re not going to absolutely love every single one of the selections the manager makes.

CMNT fans get to discuss the merits of selection and talk and learn about different leagues in the process.

He hasn't played since the announcment so its not like we are doing him an actual disservice.  Confusing take to me.

Yeah it is a good problem to have.  

“Should we or should we not have left of this young La Liga prospect” is not a debate I would have ever anticipated 5 or 6 years ago.  Plus the fact that we are dickering over essentially who the 22nd or 23rd man should have been shows that Biello, for all his detractors, managed to get the squad selection pretty damn close to right.   So we predictably bicker over the minutiae.  Like I said - it is a good problem to have (no big selection issues to complain about).  

And to reiterate a previous point - Theo will be back.  This kid has 10+ years of high level pro competition ahead of him.  If he continues on his current trajectory, there will be a time when we simply won’t be able to exclude him.  

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

CMNT fans get to discuss the merits of selection and talk and learn about different leagues in the process.

He hasn't played since the announcment so its not like we are doing him an actual disservice.  Confusing take to me.

That’s fair, I guess maybe I overreacted by calling it a shit show. Potentially any thread could be labeled as such if you put it in a real world perspective. This is a message board though so I guess it’s to be expected.

I personally try not to get too worked up about fringe selections like this because it all depends on the managers’ plans, which we aren’t privy to. People take offense to the selections, as if it’s an insult to the specific league the player is in, when in reality there’s more to it than that.

The manager’s job is to select the squad that will help the team get the best results. If he doesn’t see a role for Corbeanu, then he doesn’t select him. Whether that’s based on formation, form, style of play, etc.

Biello could very well believe that Theo “deserves” it, and that he’s a better player than others that were selected, but if he doesn’t have a role or a plan for him in this camp, then he misses out.

On 3/13/2024 at 3:03 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Did you watch both?

You think that Blackpool team was better? I’ve probably watched two Granada games so far, or whenever TC plays, but I watched pretty much every Blackpool game before he started getting benched/dropped and they were absolutely horrid. Theo’s 3 goals were third most on his team despite only starting 9 games and leaving mid season. They also got relegated and it wasn’t particularly close. Not exactly a big threat in league one this year. Maybe I haven’t watched enough Granada to see just how bad they are, but watching Blackpool was probably the most gruelling relatively decent level team with a CANMNT player on it that I’ve had to watch. Just terrible.

I can understand the argument to not give him a call because he’s only played 60 or so minutes across a few games, but my “issue” if we can call it that is that we called up someone like JRR who- let’s be real- is still profiting from the season in nextpro where he turned into prime Ronaldo, and we’re calling up Bombito because someone at Canada soccer has this belief that despite our lying eyes, he’s a future elite CB/CDM with all these skills we can’t get anywhere else. Can’t buy that guys like that have done more to earn a call than Corbeanu.

In any case someone said that he should’ve gotten called over JRR but it’s not a big deal- that’s probably the right case. He will play for Canada again soon and he will play often for us over the span of his career. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am sure someone has pointed it out already (UT?) but Mallorca play Granada tomorrow.  It is conceivable a La Liga game could have two Canadians facing off against each other at some point.  That would have to be a first I assume. 

Right, and I was going to post: both wear no 17… little details that are cool.

2pm local time.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Man that pisses me off.  I get 5 TSN channels.  I pay for them as part of my cable package.  On 4 of them right now are re-runs of fucking SportCentre.  And in a half-hour, they replay them yet again.  FFS.  

I think that’s my most frustrating thing about Canadian sports TV. There is lots of space and time on the programming for soccer they just choose not to show it.. replays of sports Center and bean bag tossing but no soccer. Where is ESPN ocho when u need it(dodgeball reference!!) it’s not like it conflicts with the nfl nhl mlb all theses games are in earlier in the day and surely would have market value… going down a rabbit hole now …

41 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Man that pisses me off.  I get 5 TSN channels.  I pay for them as part of my cable package.  On 4 of them right now are re-runs of fucking SportCentre.  And in a half-hour, they replay them yet again.  FFS.  

In their defense, they really like their SportCentre on all 5 channels

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So in a game where they need a goal for a crucial 3 points, and where there seems to be a very real possibility they could do it, they leave off the kid who did exactly that (came on and scored when the rest of his team were lifeless) his last time on.  

I don’t get it.  

Could not put it any better. Shocking to burn through four subs with no Corbeanu, especially being down a goal. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King