CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

8 hours ago, narduch said:

Playing in Langford only makes sense if the camera angle is fixed. 

The only thing I don't get about the PEI proposal is why not just play in Halifax? Isn't Nova Scotia doing pretty good too?

It will need to be on fieldturf for an entire league schedule to be played at a single venue and the Blue Bombers being active again probably complicates things in Winnipeg. Any rain and grass would quickly be in bad shape in Halifax. PEI looks like a plan B at this point because any fieldturf there probably has pointyball gridiron markings?

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It will need to be on fieldturf for an entire league schedule to be played at a single venue and the Blue Bombers being active again probably complicates things in Winnipeg. Any rain and grass would quickly be in bad shape in Halifax. PEI looks like a plan B at this point because any fieldturf there probably has pointyball gridiron markings?

It has been a while since I looked at those fields specifically but according to satellite photos of UPEI and a turf field in Cornwall (10 minutes from Charlottetown):

A73D7927-EBE0-4BFC-A7DF-06EDB43AECAC.jpeg

85097EF0-3F33-4AED-BDE3-3596B3EBEAAD.jpeg

On 5/29/2020 at 8:04 PM, narduch said:

The only thing I don't get about the PEI proposal is why not just play in Halifax? Isn't Nova Scotia doing pretty good too?

Nova Scotia has very few active cases now, but still has 1 or 2 new cases each day. PEI on the other hand hasn’t had a new case since April 28th and has had 0 active cases for about 3 weeks. So Nova Scotia is doing well (after being the hardest hit Atlantic province) and PEI is doing phenomenal.

I really hope they dont plan to play the entire season in one sitting. I think half or 3/4 and then re assess is a better plan. So much positive information coming in by the day. It would be terrible to fully commit the calendar now

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I really hope they dont plan to play the entire season in one sitting. I think half or 3/4 and then re assess is a better plan. So much positive information coming in by the day. It would be terrible to fully commit the calendar now

A 36 game season was mentioned above. If that is accurate it would mean 9 games per team.

On 5/29/2020 at 5:04 PM, narduch said:

Notice I pointed out that all games could be played in daylight hours. The low cameras are only really a problem when using the lights at night. A game broadcast live from 8-10 pm in Halifax will be played from 4-6 pm in Victoria. That only becomes a problem for lights at the very end of the season (assuming they go to October).

2 hours ago, ted said:

Notice I pointed out that all games could be played in daylight hours. The low cameras are only really a problem when using the lights at night. A game broadcast live from 8-10 pm in Halifax will be played from 4-6 pm in Victoria. That only becomes a problem for lights at the very end of the season (assuming they go to October).

Ted, the low camera angle was poor for the broadcast image in general. The play is flat, you can't see how the teams are lined up, the distances are distorted, and as the camera was too close to the pitch, it did not follow the play properly. It has to be taken back away frm the touch line 5-10 metres and raised another 5. 

Or shoot from the other side of the pitch, from the main stand. That way at least you could be watching the benches, if kept as they were, and have the light at your back from mid afternoon on.

12 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Read the thread about players vs owners regarding salaries, union and restarting the season. 

To summarize:
Canadian Premier League players players are angry. The 25% pay 'deferral' is now confirmed to be a cut. And to rub salt in the wound, 5% is further taken out to be used in a pool for performance bonuses.
And while the league expects to restart with a 11 game tournament held either in Victoria or Charlottetown, they refuse to guarantee that COVID19 testing will be available. ... All this, while the league is pocketing gov't subsidies in relation to COVID19.

It's no wonder that after months, the league has refuse to recognize the players' union, and gone radio silent to inquiries. This is utterly shameful, and the players ought to just boycott this tournament.

What subsidies is the league getting? I thought they asked for money but was rejected. I do think 25% is a bit high but I'm not sure why the league isn't being a bit more ambitious as far as what they can achieve. I think the testing is a bit pointless so I'm not sure I would consider that a hold up. 25% is a bit steep but on the flip side I'm not sure if much revenue can be created by an 11 game tournament played with no fans 

Edited by SpursFlu

30 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

What subsidies is the league getting? I thought they asked for money but was rejected. I do think 25% is a bit high but I'm not sure why the league isn't being a bit more ambitious as far as what they can achieve. I think the testing is a bit pointless so I'm not sure I would consider that a hold up. 25% is a bit steep but on the flip side I'm not sure if much revenue can be created by an 11 game tournament played with no fans 

You think that testing is a bit pointless? So just let them play with no testing ? 

5 hours ago, SoccMan said:

You think that testing is a bit pointless? So just let them play with no testing ? 

Hard to believe that the province won't make them have those tests.

The way I'm reading this is unlike other leagues in the US, unlikely that CPL would pay extra to test players, the province health system would.

No way they aren't getting tested