CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

In Scotland as I suspect you are well aware as a Celtic fan (?) the sort of COVID-19 testing the Bundesliga and Premiership are doing was viewed as prohibitively expensive so the SPFL title was decided on a points per game basis instead. Don't think it's in any way surprising that the CanPL owners would want to try a quarantine in one location with daily screening for symptoms approach to keep costs down, while also relying on federal government and Mediapro money to cover at least some of the other costs involved. Suspect they would be steering well clear while this is all happening.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Doing some research on Stefan Mitrovic I see Serbia is back playing and starting this weekend allowing 1000 fans in to stadiums. I really dont think allowing 500-1000 fans in to Westhills is out of the picture

The league could maybe sell 200 Super Passes at a premium. Get you in to every game. Even couple it with a charity 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Serbia is a lot more likely to take a vodka and sauna sort of approach to COVID-19 than BC is. Denmark is maybe the one to watch for a lower budget league in western Europe starting to get back into the swing of things right now.

Yah we're more vegan and yoga but in the end not all that different. Plus Denmark and other leagues are considering the same in places that had a whole lot more to deal with than Van Island or BC. Based on what our health experts and premier have been saying I really dont think it's out of the question 

Edited by SpursFlu

20 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

In Scotland as I suspect you are well aware as a Celtic fan (?) the sort of COVID-19 testing the Bundesliga and Premiership are doing was viewed as prohibitively expensive so the SPFL title was decided on a points per game basis instead.  

What?  No do over?  Have to wonder how expensive it feels now.

Anybody who thinks they have something to complain about when it comes to the management and ownership in their league, whether its CPL or MLS,  needs to spend about 2 minutes of their life being exposed to the collective brain trust which has levitated to the heights of Scottish football to appreciate just how good they really have it.

I'm convinced every single SPFL board meeting ends the same way.  After a long, hard, day of heated discussions a bunch of businessmen emerge each thinking the exact same 2 things, 1).  That they were the smartest person in that room.  And 2).  They are surrounded by azzholes.

Funny thing is while only one of them got the 1st part right they all managed to nail the other one. 

Sorry to interupt.  As you were. 

If it turns out we do have a tournament in BC/PEI, and then start playing a shortened season if the circumstances are right in September/October, then maybe we'll be seeing a impromptu return of the spring/fall season like last year (summer tourney, fall season).  I actually liked the spring/fall idea last year, but I guess we'll see what they announce.

Edited by Trois Reds

Things moving fast with major sports league's returning and now more talk of limited fans in attendance, hope CPL is allowed to introduce this in the near future, with social distancing in large outdoor CFL stadiums or even the clubs own stadiums it can work imo.

Texas Allowing 25% Fan Attendance At Sporting Events

https://www.usgamblingsites.com/news/texas-allowing-25-fan-attendance-at-sporting-events/

"According to Abbott’s new order, which was issued Thursday, outdoor stadiums will be allowed to host spectators at 25% capacity, which will allow for social distancing protocols to be adhered to."

17 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Things moving fast with major sports league's returning and now more talk of limited fans in attendance, hope CPL is allowed to introduce this in the near future, with social distancing in large outdoor CFL stadiums or even the clubs own stadiums it can work imo.

Texas Allowing 25% Fan Attendance At Sporting Events

https://www.usgamblingsites.com/news/texas-allowing-25-fan-attendance-at-sporting-events/

"According to Abbott’s new order, which was issued Thursday, outdoor stadiums will be allowed to host spectators at 25% capacity, which will allow for social distancing protocols to be adhered to."

With the US COVID prevalence rates, we should not be emulating their policies.  I am all for getting CPL started in a way that makes sense but we shouldn’t be looking south of the border for inspiration.  

Obviously they are still deciding on the location, every article about it says so.  This looks like a response to the stories a few days ago from the players saying they hadnt been consulted etc etc.  They put out this release to say they are all on the same page, everyone is being consulted, kumbya sing along, we arent being mean to the players etc etc.  But we get the typical usual BS from certain corners, MLS releases a statement without dates or tournie details etc, just we are doing something in Orlando (which has been rumored for weeks), thats cool but the CPL announcement is dissapointing.

Ignoring those who are fixated with an MLS vs CanPL rivalry that only really exists inside their own heads at this point, here's how the latest CanPL announcement ended:

https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-announcement

...The next step will be to engage with the fans and partners as the Canadian Premier League with its Clubs work collectively to find a solution for a 2020 CPL season

Judging from what I see on Reddit and Twitter I was far from the only person that expected the announcement to outline a solution that had already been found collectively. If anything, that snippet of text makes it sound like a 2020 season is still no sure thing.

Guess the issues that could still be lumbering over the horizon at this point are to what extent fans get a refund on season tickets and how keen Mediapro are on this island tournament concept. The league would probably also welcome clarity on where exactly they stand on federal government subsidies related to the pandemic through to mid-October. 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

There are hundreds of thing to work out, arent there some players not even in the country yet??  Can they all field a team yet??  The other NA leagues are all having trouble coming up with a plan/details, why would CPL be any different ( i wont say the obvious ones cause Mr Parrot shit will be offended).  No one can agree on the tourny system, everyone arguing over hub cities, everyone/all legues are still working on the details.  But I am not surprised you were able to find people complaining about it on reddit/twitter.  You can find whole organizations that believe the world is flat on there as well.  

18 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

With the US COVID prevalence rates, we should not be emulating their policies.  I am all for getting CPL started in a way that makes sense but we shouldn’t be looking south of the border for inspiration.  

How about Denmark? Do we like them?

23 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

We also shouldn't pretend that 100% of what they do is wrong and close our minds off of something that may work and make sense going forward and study it.

Some experts the last couple of days are now doing an about face and telling us that the virus doesn’t spread easily outdoors so there is much less chance of it spreading in the large amounts of people gathering outdoors in the thousands (providing they wear masks and social distance) when being asked about how these mass gatherings that violate the "no gatherings of over 50" may affect the spread of coronavirus.

When I got an email from Forge titled “Canadian Premier League moves forward  on proposed strategy for a 2020 CPL season” I thought there was going to be some sort of details. Like Ozzie I thought there would be a location, format, and/or proposed date window announced. But reading through the article on canpl.ca all it said was owners and players agree! No mention of what the agreement is about. I think it is reasonable to be underwhelmed by the news, even if like me you weren’t expecting news before it came out.