CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

3 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

PEI - Empty stadiums - half a season?  I just cant grasp any of this.... 0 ticket revenue - no tv deal - no indication the major networks would even bother to show the hilights even in these covid days. Yet they wanna play 'a season' in front of no people in PEI? I have heard more bizzare plans - but not much more bizzare  lol

They hadn't had a new case in almost a month. I think the intent would be to allow people to watch the game.

Not surprising they are exploring locations facilitating this before having no choice but to play in empty stadiums

@SpursFlu flub still trying to sell the Swedish model?

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-sweden-lockdown-death-rate-144650769.html

I honestly believe that you could allow fans into stadiums. But a small %, and it would be better than nothing. Take the Dortmund stadium yesterday, you could easily have done a lottery amongst fans and put 20-30 in each section, spaced apart, entrance and exit routes marked out, also half-time, and the distancing would have been better than most city streets or bars. You would heard some chanting, some jeering of the ref, the local team would have felt their help as they tried to come back. 

I know it does not solve the financial question for the CPL, it does not really address gate revenue (as HFX would maybe allow in 500 in those conditions), but it would not be the worst compromise in a pinch I don't think.

9 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

PEI - Empty stadiums - half a season?  I just cant grasp any of this.... 0 ticket revenue - no tv deal - no indication the major networks would even bother to show the hilights even in these covid days. Yet they wanna play 'a season' in front of no people in PEI? I have heard more bizzare plans - but not much more bizzare  lol

Speaking of PEI, where is @dyslexic nam , I hope he hasn't been put off the site by some of the confrontational posters!

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

@SpursFlu flub still trying to sell the Swedish model?

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-sweden-lockdown-death-rate-144650769.html

I honestly believe that you could allow fans into stadiums. But a small %, and it would be better than nothing. Take the Dortmund stadium yesterday, you could easily have done a lottery amongst fans and put 20-30 in each section, spaced apart, entrance and exit routes marked out, also half-time, and the distancing would have been better than most city streets or bars. You would heard some chanting, some jeering of the ref, the local team would have felt their help as they tried to come back. 

I know it does not solve the financial question for the CPL, it does not really address gate revenue (as HFX would maybe allow in 500 in those conditions), but it would not be the worst compromise in a pinch I don't think.

Lockdown or not re Sweden, may not have made much difference in the end and we will never know. Lockdowns can cause deaths as well as many have pointed out.

BC had a similar non-lockdown plan they followed, as some others have.

EPL and Series A coming back mid June, hope CPL makes it on the field in July!

14 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

That is where I think you would be proven wrong.  Sports channels are completely starved of live content right now.  Who honestly gives a shit about watching a replay of a TFC game from 2017?  Live CPL games - even in an empty venue (and admittedly we are way short on venues) would be a draw right now. In fact I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if this venture gave CPL more exposure than if things were normal.  

Man, I gotta figure out how to try and influence this.   

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

If we are all flocking to see Henry in the Korean league why wouldnt fans tune in to live CPL games??  

1) Did they actually flock to see him play?  Lots of talk, I don't know anyone who ended up watching because of the time.

2) The K-Leagues first game was streamed free.  CPL will (I assume) still be mostly on Onesoccer.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is where I think you would be proven wrong.  Sports channels are completely starved of live content right now.  Who honestly gives a **** about watching a replay of a TFC game from 2017?  Live CPL games - even in an empty venue (and admittedly we are way short on venues) would be a draw right now. In fact I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if this venture gave CPL more exposure than if things were normal.  

Man, I gotta figure out how to try and influence this.   

They're starved for content right now, but they won't be by the time the CPL is up and running again.  The EPL is set to return in mid-June, as is the PGA tour.  The NHL is setting up to return in early July.  NBA and MLB still working out their schedules, but you figure it will be roughly the same.  NFL in August.  Rollin's tweet was that the CPL was optimistically hoping for July 1st, with August 1st more realistic.  By then, your sports landscape is about to be a lot more crowded.

5 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

They're starved for content right now, but they won't be by the time the CPL is up and running again.  The EPL is set to return in mid-June, as is the PGA tour.  The NHL is setting up to return in early July.  NBA and MLB still working out their schedules, but you figure it will be roughly the same.  NFL in August.  Rollin's tweet was that the CPL was optimistically hoping for July 1st, with August 1st more realistic.  By then, your sports landscape is about to be a lot more crowded.

First off, there are 2 major sports networks with multiple channels to fill so yes there will be a need for programming. Not to mention CanCon rules that may apply.

Second, the NHL will begin in August not July,. There’s no guarantees the NBA or MLB come back considering their current labour situations: NFL preseason is August, if there is one, but regular season isn’t until September assuming it doesn’t get pushed back. And the EPL and PGA are not in the coveted prime time slot.

The AO CEO said today they’re hoping for a 3-4 week training camp and DC said they’re hoping to begin training next week so early July is very clearly a possibility. Your claim that August 1 is “more realistic” is based on what? 

I’m not saying TSN or SN will actually pick up CPL broadcasts but the current situation does make the possibility more likely than it would have been.

6 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

First off, there are 2 major sports networks with multiple channels to fill so yes there will be a need for programming. Not to mention CanCon rules that may apply.

Second, the NHL will begin in August not July,. There’s no guarantees the NBA or MLB come back considering their current labour situations: NFL preseason is August, if there is one, but regular season isn’t until September assuming it doesn’t get pushed back. And the EPL and PGA are not in the coveted prime time slot.

The AO CEO said today they’re hoping for a 3-4 week training camp and DC said they’re hoping to begin training next week so early July is very clearly a possibility. Your claim that August 1 is “more realistic” is based on what? 

I’m not saying TSN or SN will actually pick up CPL broadcasts but the current situation does make the possibility more likely than it would have been.

This is Rollins claim, not mine.  I have no clue when they'll return.

NHL will begin it's return in July.  That won't mean games right away, but it will still start to take up more air time.  MLS has to be factored in to this too, in some form.

I'm sure CBC will still look to air some games.  I would not expect either TSN or Sportsnet to do so.

All this talk of PEI is bizarre.

Vancouver Island makes way more sense.

• no cases in three weeks
  • Victoria alone has three suitable stadiums (Westhills, Centennial and Royal Athletic Park)
  • PFC built the largest indoor training facility in BC and we also have UVic and PISE at Camosun College
  • Pacific time zone means ALL games could be played during the day for live broadcast at reasonable hours in any market
  • hotel infrastructure for teams and officials ready and waiting 

29 minutes ago, ted said:

• Victoria alone has three suitable stadiums (Westhills, Centennial and Royal Athletic Park)
  • PFC built the largest indoor training facility in BC and we also have UVic and PISE at Camosun College
  • Pacific time zone means ALL games could be played during the day for live broadcast at reasonable hours in any market

Ya but dat pole.

40 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

It just comes down to two things: government and infrastructure.  They might think that BC might not want to host this, so they want to have a back-up plan which makes sense from a business POV especially if CPL has to play some events for their mediapro deal.

Agreed.

If the rumours from the PEI approach are correct, the league has said it will gladly quarantine for the periods needed, unlike the NHL which said it would need an exemption to play in a Canadian city. Vancouver is essentially out as an NHL hub city from what I read due to Dr. Henry saying they would not make a special exemption for pro athletes. So if the CPL is willing to play ball - as they've hinted they would in the PEI approach - this could work on Van Isle.

5 hours ago, ted said:

I still favour Winnipeg which is central and cases almost flatlined for a number of days. Not sure if they match the above facilities though. Vancouver Island could also work well.

5 hours ago, ted said:

You shut your mouth. 

At this point Vancouver Island has gotta be the right choice. I think the venue is great and optics for the league without fans it would be much better. I doubt a quarantine would be needed either 

Edited by SpursFlu