CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

7 hours ago, T_Bison said:

1) The restart at a single site is probably the way it will go short term. Valour has IGF right on the University of Manitoba campus which has everything required. Plus it's case-load is about the same level as New Brunswick's.

2) Duane was referring to the CanPL's SoccerOps Dept - not Y9. With all the sales this year I can believe they paid for themselves.

Shhhhh, that doesnt push Mr Droppings narrative.  You have to keep up, this weeks talking point is "gate driven league".  

13 hours ago, T_Bison said:

2) Duane was referring to the CanPL's SoccerOps Dept - not Y9. With all the sales this year I can believe they paid for themselves.

Wait, how many did they sell?  Borges, Waterman, and now Estevez? I'll admit I don't track this so I could easily be missing someone, but I wouldn't really say this is "paying for themselves".

18 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Wait, how many did they sell?  Borges, Waterman, and now Estevez? I'll admit I don't track this so I could easily be missing someone, but I wouldn't really say this is "paying for themselves".

Attardo was sold as well, and to be fair Rollins said earned their salary.  And no matter what Mr. droppings said, selling a guy who rarely saw the field and recouping enough cash to pay 20% of the yearly salary isnt bad business.  For a league that is operating at a couple million, getting a 100 or 200g from transfer goes a long way.  And 4/7 clubs selling a player after year 1 isnt too bad, especially players that were picked up through the scoffed at open trials.  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Attardo was sold as well, and to be fair Rollins said earned their salary.  And no matter what Mr. droppings said, selling a guy who rarely saw the field and recouping enough cash to pay 20% of the yearly salary isnt bad business.  For a league that is operating at a couple million, getting a 100 or 200g from transfer goes a long way.  And 4/7 clubs selling a player after year 1 isnt too bad, especially players that were picked up through the scoffed at open trials.  

Sure, I'm not saying any of this is bad.  Selling a player who rarely saw the field is good work.  Selling the leagues top player probably didn't take as much work.  I think this is maybe me disagreeing with Rollins over the definition of "paid for themselves".

I'll still maintain that while selling players on is good, the next step for the league is for those players to perform well elsewhere.  

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Sure, I'm not saying any of this is bad.  Selling a player who rarely saw the field is good work....

Mainly driven by his agent with Y9 having a largely passive role judging from what Angus McNab had to say. The Attardo move to the third tier Chilean club also seemed to be primarily agent driven with the suggestion being that the player was unlikely to ever actually step foot in Chile.

What I find interesting is that the same sort of people who seem keen to bolster the idea that there was a critical role in all of this for league employees are also those that tend to turn into a seething mess whenever single entity franchises rather than clubs are mentioned in a CanPL context. Something doesn't quite add up there.

My main point about what Duane Rollins had to say, however, was that the notion that the league doesn't need to get up to 4500+ paid ticket sales per game to be around long term and can live off the Onescoccer deal and player sales looks like wishful thinking to me.

Bear in mind I used to get a lot of grief on here for questioning the prevailing group think that a $1.5 million salary cap would be a good move given it shifts break even up to around 8000+ if past media reports from Edmonton and Ottawa related to the finances of NASL teams are to be believed. CanPL did the right thing by aiming lower than that in terms of budget and having most players on sub-35k salaries and playing standards have been reasonable as I predicted would still be possible on a lower budget.

The actual crowd levels we have seen more or less consistently in Langford, Edmonton, Calgary and North York and also more sporadically in Hamilton and Winnipeg are still not going to cut it long term, however, even with that level of player salary budget and will need to improve significantly over the next few years. The economics of a fully pro coast-to-coast domestic pro league in Canada have always been very challenging. On the bright side of things, however, Halifax has provided the investors with a reason to believe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Missed Attardo & Cordova. Between those five you're probably looking at $500K.

10 minutes ago, downtownordinary said:

Since a neutral location for the start of the season is a television product Van Isle and Winnipeg have to be the front runners.  The track at the Moncton Stadium would really hurt the TV product.  

Has the lighting been improved at Westhills? If not then Winnipeg is the clear front runner in my mind.

I will take a track over a poll as far as TV product is concerned. I dont remember the track being too bad for the argos game last year. 

Man, unless they've come up with an alternative for the 2019 setup at Westhills no bloody way they're talking about using that location as a venue.  It was brutal on television.  Kinda neat stadium sure, but camera angles and the glare off the plastic are isssues that Pacific needed to be addressed coming into 2020.  And I mean Priority #1.   

With empty stands they must have more setup options for the cameras so maybe there is an alternative to offer that's acceptable but if I was the one making the decision I'd sure like to see some trials from those alternatives 1st.  

Unless there's another venue on Van Isle they're considering?  Don't know.      

Guess this single venue thing could be viewed as being like the Dominican Republic preseason training camp last yesr but with the games actually being broadcast by Onesoccer. Good way to gear up for home venue games if that's possible by September.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

16 hours ago, downtownordinary said:

Since a neutral location for the start of the season is a television product Van Isle and Winnipeg have to be the front runners.  The track at the Moncton Stadium would really hurt the TV product.  

Has the lighting been improved at Westhills? If not then Winnipeg is the clear front runner in my mind.

Track hurts when there's live fans in the stands, but don't see it hurting an empty stands television product. It looks to be natural grass too. That would be fantastic for the players.

Track actually might be helpful to satisfy health regulations. At what point does a gathering of 40 actually become 2 separate gatherings of 20. Or a gathering of 60 can turn in to 3 gatherings of 20. Or a gathering of 80... ah I think you get it

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Track actually might be helpful to satisfy health regulations. At what point does a gathering of 40 actually become 2 separate gatherings of 20. Or a gathering of 60 can turn in to 3 gatherings of 20. Or a gathering of 80... ah I think you get it

You are onto something. Maybe we can get away with saying each half of a row of stands is a gathering of 10 people. So we have 500 gatherings of 10 people, not a single gathering of 5,000 people. Let's do this!

Disclaimer: Although the above is said tongue in cheek, I don't think what you said is unreasonable at all.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

You are onto something. Maybe we can get away with saying each half of a row of stands is a gathering of 10 people. So we have 500 gatherings of 10 people, not a single gathering of 5,000 people. Let's do this!

Disclaimer: Although the above is said tongue in cheek, I don't think what you said is unreasonable at all.

Tongue and cheek sounds code word for logical. But I'm fully aware that logic has taken a back seat lately.

Edited by SpursFlu

At the rate Canada is testing currently it will be difficult to make the larger strides to normal economic activities. With samples still being lab tested all across the country our ability to provide timely and readily available results is not good enough relative to other jurisdictions who are further along the epidemiological curve. We need Spartan Biosciences to fix their rapid test device!

In terms of location I see draw backs of all three locations. The camera angle in Westhills, the track in Moncton and Winnipeg’s empty, cavernous feel. Although at this point it doesn’t really matter.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

The test is a bit of nonsense anyways. Was happy to see on the BC gov survey put out yesterday asked for volunteers to take anti b tests. My entire household volunteered. Restaurants and bars re opening on Tuesday in BC, expanded outdoor space since under 1% of transmissions have occurred in outdoor space. Looks like with the data and facts rolling in we're starting to move to an actual understanding. I've never voted NDP in my life but Horgan has won me over. Sounds like they may even be reconsidering WC up in Vancouver also. Beauty

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, Cblake said:

None of these tests that have a quick turn around on results have come to market. That will be key in this process. Guess we will see how it goes in Germany starting this weekend. 

The USA and other nations have had rapid testing since middle of last month, unacceptable if our gov't is lacking in this regard, maybe their partnering with the ccp like they apparently are with the Cansino vaccine fiasco revealed the other day.

Not sure what type of tests the UFC is using but they are doing 1200 tests this week that for their events last Saturday, last Wednesday, and tomorrows UFC Fight Night in Florida. CPL and the other league's will no doubt be looking at how UFC's handled being the first major sport to return to action :

UFC's return could provide blueprint for other pro leagues

https://www.tsn.ca/ufc-s-return-could-provide-blueprint-for-other-pro-leagues-1.1474424

Edited by CDNFootballer

6 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

The USA and other nations have had rapid testing since middle of last month, unacceptable if our gov't is lacking in this regard, maybe their partnering with the ccp like they apparently are with the Cansino vaccine fiasco revealed the other day.

Not sure what type of tests the UFC is using but they are doing 1200 tests this week that for their events last Saturday, last Wednesday, and tomorrows UFC Fight Night in Florida. CPL and the other league's will no doubt be looking at how UFC's handled being the first major sport to return to action :

UFC's return could provide blueprint for other pro leagues

https://www.tsn.ca/ufc-s-return-could-provide-blueprint-for-other-pro-leagues-1.1474424

The lack of rapid test in Canada at this point is absurd. I’m not sure who it reflects badly on though, Canadian industry, the Canadian government or both. The call for applications was made in mid-April and so far only one company is close.