CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

Just now, SpursFlu said:

The testing has proven to be highly inaccurate and the odds of you being tested during the 21days you had or will have the virus is pretty unlikely. They're best to get the tests right and stockpile and get ready for the next flu season I guess September October 

What testing has proven to be highly inaccurate? Are you referring to Canada?

12 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Yes.. most experts have said they believe the testing yo be good but far from perfect. I personally know someone who was tested 4 times. Twice positive, twice negative. I know someone who tested positive but his wife tested negative and they had wink wink nudge nudges just previous. My friend just got diagnosed with pneumonia. They were tested 4 tkmesfor covid. They said that because they knew the tests weren't always accurate. After a 2 week runaround they just gave up and said you have pneumonia 

Edited by SpursFlu

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Yes.. most experts have said they believe the testing yo be good but far from perfect. I personally know someone who was tested 4 times. Twice positive, twice negative. I know someone who tested positive but his wife tested negative and they had wink wink nudge nudges just previous. My friend just got diagnosed with pneumonia. They were tested 4 tkmesfor covid. They said that because they knew the tests weren't always accurate. After a 2 week runaround they just gave up and said you have pneumonia 

Interesting. Anecdotal but interesting. No need divulge where you are but not all tests in Canada are being done by the same lab or even by the same process so it’s a bit of a stretch to say that tests in Canada “have proven to be highly inaccurate.”

22 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

The quick turnaround 15-30 minute test from Abbott has shown to be a coin toss in terms of reliablity as per FDA.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/14/856531970/fda-cautions-about-accuracy-of-widely-used-abbott-coronavirus-test

Edited by red card

58 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

The USA and other nations have had rapid testing since middle of last month, unacceptable if our gov't is lacking in this regard, maybe their partnering with the ccp like they apparently are with the Cansino vaccine fiasco revealed the other day.

Not sure what type of tests the UFC is using but they are doing 1200 tests this week that for their events last Saturday, last Wednesday, and tomorrows UFC Fight Night in Florida. CPL and the other league's will no doubt be looking at how UFC's handled being the first major sport to return to action :

UFC's return could provide blueprint for other pro leagues

https://www.tsn.ca/ufc-s-return-could-provide-blueprint-for-other-pro-leagues-1.1474424

UFC implementation hasn't been good. As per NYT: .U.F.C.’s Coronavirus Plan Is Careful. Its Enforcement Has Been Spotty.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/sports/coronavirus-ufc.html?searchResultPosition=26

17 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Interesting. Anecdotal but interesting. No need divulge where you are but not all tests in Canada are being done by the same lab or even by the same process so it’s a bit of a stretch to say that tests in Canada “have proven to be highly inaccurate.”

First example another country. 2nd and 3rd example somewhere here in BC not sure where

1 hour ago, red card said:

The quick turnaround 15-30 minute test from Abbott has shown to be a coin toss in terms of reliablity as per FDA.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/14/856531970/fda-cautions-about-accuracy-of-widely-used-abbott-coronavirus-test

I realize there are issues all over the world with testing, I was curious if he was referring to Canada as all of the tests in Canada have so far been done in lab. Which theoretically be as close to accurate as humanly possible.

22 hours ago, red card said:

Not proven reliable or conclusive research yet and only a small sample of 100 patients :

"The research has not been peer-reviewed or published in a medical journal"

"Abbott rejected the findings, saying the researchers used the test "in ways that it was not designed to be used."

"ID NOW is intended to be used near the patient with a direct swab test method," the company said in a statement. The company pointed to other independent study results that found the test accurately detected 90% or more infections."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/u-s-fda-probes-accuracy-issue-with-abbott-s-rapid-virus-test-1.4940539

FDA has only said its investigating as of now.

On 5/16/2020 at 6:41 PM, CDNFootballer said:

Not proven reliable or conclusive research yet and only a small sample of 100 patients :

"The research has not been peer-reviewed or published in a medical journal"

"Abbott rejected the findings, saying the researchers used the test "in ways that it was not designed to be used."

"ID NOW is intended to be used near the patient with a direct swab test method," the company said in a statement. The company pointed to other independent study results that found the test accurately detected 90% or more infections."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/u-s-fda-probes-accuracy-issue-with-abbott-s-rapid-virus-test-1.4940539

FDA has only said its investigating as of now.

All these drug/device tests start off with a small group. Just like today Moderna announced good results on a possible vaccine done on 8 people. Dow shoots up 900.

You won't get conclusive results on any drug or medical devices for years under normal situations. Being in the age of Covid will mean a speed up of the process though.

And of course the company would question the validity of the tests. Given Covid, everything is being rushed out, so not really a surprise modifications are needed in the field or tests are not always performed in the right manner all the time.

On 5/14/2020 at 12:41 PM, downtownordinary said:

Since a neutral location for the start of the season is a television product Van Isle and Winnipeg have to be the front runners.  The track at the Moncton Stadium would really hurt the TV product.  

Has the lighting been improved at Westhills? If not then Winnipeg is the clear front runner in my mind.

It wasn't the lighting so much as the horrific camera angles at Westhills and with NO work done on the Hydro Pole situation the camera locations are unchanged. Lighting would not be an issue as all games could be played in daylight at this point.

Centennial Stadium at UVic and Royal Athletic Park downtown could both be used as well.

11 hours ago, ted said:

It wasn't the lighting so much as the horrific camera angles at Westhills and with NO work done on the Hydro Pole situation the camera locations are unchanged. Lighting would not be an issue as all games could be played in daylight at this point.

Centennial Stadium at UVic and Royal Athletic Park downtown could both be used as well.

I am getting this right...there has been NO work done on the hydro pole situation??  No solution?

The TiCats put out a release from the CFL this afternoon stating the earliest their season will start is September. This is not a plan to start in September, merely stating that would be the earliest timing. The Grey Cup may be moved into December, and will be hosted by the team that qualifies for the final and has the better regular season record. Saskatchewan was to host this year, so to actually host the Grey Cup in 2020 they must qualify for the final and have a better regular season record that the other final-qualifying team.

There are big differences between the CFL and CPL: team salaries, number of players, TV deals, number of foreign players, etc. The possible CPL approach of a single or dual sites may allow them to start earlier than the CFL. For example, Manitoba now allows outdoor gatherings of 50 people which would allow for two CPL team but only one CFL team. Simplification I know, but there is still some hope for a CPL season this year.

4 minutes ago, RickC said:

The TiCats put out a release from the CFL this afternoon stating the earliest their season will start is September. This is not a plan to start in September, merely stating that would be the earliest timing. The Grey Cup may be moved into December, and will be hosted by the team that qualifies for the final and has the better regular season record. Saskatchewan was to host this year, so to actually host the Grey Cup in 2020 they must qualify for the final and have a better regular season record that the other final-qualifying team.

There are big differences between the CFL and CPL: team salaries, number of players, TV deals, number of foreign players, etc. The possible CPL approach of a single or dual sites may allow them to start earlier than the CFL. For example, Manitoba now allows outdoor gatherings of 50 people which would allow for two CPL team but only one CFL team. Simplification I know, but there is still some hope for a CPL season this year.

I think the domestic player quota is the main reason the CPL can continue.  Even without the imports, each team has enough players (except Atletico Ottawa at the moment, but that can/will change).  The CFL needs Americans to fill out their rosters, or they'll be missing half the squad for the season.  I don't know if the situation down south will be any better later this year for them.  It seems to be quite a mess, and I don't think the U.S. will be less chaotic by September.

22 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I am getting this right...there has been NO work done on the hydro pole situation??  No solution?

My understanding is no.  Clanachan brought this up during his press conference on the state of league a few months ago, stating that if it doesn't eventually change there's the possibility they look to move the team.  

6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Interesting to see the specifics of their plan. Wonder if the CPL players would be willing to take similar measures re wage cuts if the clubs play without fans throughout a shortened season, that may be a sticking point but we should see soon if that's the case.

I think we could ultimately benefit from our season starting when it did. I'm a believer now from what I'm seeing and hearing that we could see limited fans in seats come as early as August. Speaking to someone in the know today, officials are moving more towards a herd immunity model. I had a couple pints at lunch today and a buddy downtown just sent me a pick of bar hoppers in his hood. Anyone want to come babysit? I'm looking to join in

Which officials were you talking to, since Sweden is basically admitting that their plan of herd immunity didn't work and they've now got the highest deaths per capita in Europe.  That's not me "clutching my pearls", that's just the honest discussion you keep wanting to have on this.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-antibody-study-suggests-sweden-not-reaching-herd-immunity-2020-5