Dominik Yankov

jordan

21 minutes ago, VinceA said:

He'd have to file a one-time switch since he's played for Bulgaria in U-21 Euro Qualifiers. As of right now he's provisionally cap-tied.

So for him to come to the Olympic qualifiers for us he would have had to done his one time switch, not just for a full national team call up??  Sorry to keep asking, I am not wording my question very well.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

So for him to come to the Olympic qualifiers for us he would have had to done his one time switch, not just for a full national team call up??  Sorry to keep asking, I am not wording my question very well. 

I believe he needs to file his switch in order to represent Canada at any level in official competition but he can still play in friendly games without the official switch.

As I recall, Teal Bunbury first played for the Americans in a few senior friendly games and then filed his official switch in order to play in the Olympic qualifiers. That was a number of years ago however and the Fifa rules have been known to change.

On 4/28/2020 at 3:36 PM, Bison44 said:

I dont know didly squat about Yankov (thought it was a gag name to begin with) but he is in the same transfer market range as Choinere, Fraser, Bayiha, Borges and Tabla (250-400 euros).  For what thats worth....

Thanks for the laugh in these times.

On 4/28/2020 at 3:36 PM, Bison44 said:

I dont know didly squat about Yankov (thought it was a gag name to begin with) but he is in the same transfer market range as Choinere, Fraser, Bayiha, Borges and Tabla (250-400 euros).  For what thats worth....

The interesting thing is that all those players have different levels of potential. At least if you ask me. 

I mean, yes they are all young and who knows what they'll become, I know that. However, we can still say that Tabla (despite his struggles) seems to have much greater potential than Bayiha. We can say that Choinere has some talent, but Borges looks more promising. So despite being in the same transfer market range, some of these guys are a cut above. Yankov looks to be also.

Him playing in Euro U-21 qualifying is bad for our chances, but good for his development. None of those other players are in such a competitive environment at the international level. He is also the youngest of all those names. Ludogorets may be a big fish in a small pond, but they are Champions and European regulars. Yankov even talked about how he was on the bench against Bayer Leverkusen in the Europa League. Good experience that cannot really be measured, essentially. 

By the way, if we are speaking about Transfermarkt values, Ludogorets would fall between Inter Miami (3) and LA Galaxy (4) on the MLS scale, which is ahead of both Toronto (5) and Montreal (15). So his club environment is also quite competitive.

All of this (along with highlights) leads me to believe that he is one to watch. I think I said it before, but I think he would be in direct competition with Fraser and Shome for opportunities, and I don't think it would be long before he found himself ahead of both, if he was in our pool that is.

Edited by Obinna

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

All of this (along with highlights) leads me to believe that he is one to watch. I think I said it before, but I think he would be in direct competition with Fraser and Shome for opportunities, and I don't think it would be long before he found himself ahead of both, if he was in our pool that is.

His competition is in the more attacking CM group, like Oso and Arfield. His defending, and at times his work ethic, isn't really all there...

Ideally, it would be the number 10 role. I personally think he plays a little better there. But I don't know if Herdman would do that. Unless he ever gets convinced to put David behind the striker (which I personally think he should) and he'll have to fight him for that spot.

In the end I think he's crazy if he instantly goes to Bulgaria. Despite Canada not being a GREAT team, we are hosting a WC and have a better chance than Bulgaria in other WC qualifications. I can understand losing players to better nations that have a fighting chance to make a WC, but in this case I just can't see the logic.

2 hours ago, Colliedor said:

His competition is in the more attacking CM group, like Oso and Arfield. His defending, and at times his work ethic, isn't really all there...

Ideally, it would be the number 10 role. I personally think he plays a little better there. But I don't know if Herdman would do that. Unless he ever gets convinced to put David behind the striker (which I personally think he should) and he'll have to fight him for that spot.

In the end I think he's crazy if he instantly goes to Bulgaria. Despite Canada not being a GREAT team, we are hosting a WC and have a better chance than Bulgaria in other WC qualifications. I can understand losing players to better nations that have a fighting chance to make a WC, but in this case I just can't see the logic.

I am admittedly biased, but I think any young player considering at our team has to be excited by the sheer potential over the next 6-10 years.  Yes, we will lose some mainstays, but the young core of our team is crazy.  A number of our best players will be around for quite a while - and we have young guys pushing hard in most other spots on the field.  Maybe I am over estimating the impact of that, but when you throw in 2026, if I am a young guy considering my international  options, Canada would look like a pretty solid choice.  

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am admittedly biased, but I think any young player considering at our team has to be excited by the sheer potential over the next 6-10 years.  Yes, we will lose some mainstays, but the young core of our team is crazy.  A number of our best players will be around for quite a while - and we have young guys pushing hard in most other spots on the field.  Maybe I am over estimating the impact of that, but when you throw in 2026, if I am a young guy considering my international  options, Canada would look like a pretty solid choice.  

If he decides to switch to play for Canada instead of Bulgaria, then our depth grows even more not just for 2022 but 2026 as well. However, since he is still young he could decide to play for Bulgaria because that is always a possibility. But if he had a choice between them and us, I mean Canada has more going for them.

6 hours ago, Colliedor said:

It sounds like you have watched him more than I have, but his positional history on transfermarkt suggests he mostly plays as a centre mid, with minor roles as an ACM and DCM. That seems to match the qualities I see from his highlights, so based on those two things, plus his experience level, I thought Shome and Fraser would be his competition.

By the way, I don't think there is much debate that Shome is an 8, but Fraser is probably more debatable. For me he can develop into either a 6 or an 8, because I think his potential on the attacking side is underrated.

Based on your comments it sounds like the same for Yankov, except in his case he seems to be an 8 who can be a 10. I do see the offensive potential in his game for sure and he has that more than Fraser or Shome, which is partly why I think he would leapfrog them before long.

Yankov seems like a cross between Osorio and Arfield, and I think he would break into our team as an 8, which is where Osorio, Arfield (more offensive), Fraser and Shome (more defensive) have all played for Canada. 

Edited by Obinna

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not at all, it might have a very big impact.  Bulgaria has been in a drought for a long time.  Just a quick scan and I dont see any of their national team at clubs like Bayern.  Davies and David are making big waves in Europe and the chance to get on a team with an upside has to be a plus to Yamkov.  

22 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Not at all, it might have a very big impact.  Bulgaria has been in a drought for a long time.  Just a quick scan and I dont see any of their national team at clubs like Bayern.  Davies and David are making big waves in Europe and the chance to get on a team with an upside has to be a plus to Yamkov.  

He played with both of them at a Canada U15 camp.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

It sounds like you have watched him more than I have, but his positional history on transfermarkt suggests he mostly plays as a centre mid, with minor roles as an ACM and DCM. That seems to match the qualities I see from his highlights, so based on those two things, plus his experience level, I thought Shome and Fraser would be his competition.

By the way, I don't think there is much debate that Shome is an 8, but Fraser is probably more debatable. For me he can develop into either a 6 or an 8, because I think his potential on the attacking side is underrated.

Based on your comments it sounds like the same for Yankov, except in his case he seems to be an 8 who can be a 10. I do see the offensive potential in his game for sure and he has that more than Fraser or Shome, which is partly why I think he would leapfrog them before long.

Yankov seems like a cross between Osorio and Arfield, and I think he would break into our team as an 8, which is where Osorio, Arfield (more offensive), Fraser and Shome (more defensive) have all played for Canada. 

Oh he is for sure a number 8, I should've made it more clear. I should've said that if Canada were playing the box formation again, that his competition would be with Oso and Arfield. The more advance spots. While Fraser will be up against Piette, Kaye, Eustaquio etc. Yankov doesn't have the defensive capabilities to play in the more defensive role of that box as of now.

Ya when I've watched him, a lot of times he starts as a 10, but mid way in the second half they would pull him back as a 8. I've personally never seen him as a DM.

I disagree with Fraser's offensive game. Watching him for years starting as a CB, I just never saw him near the box and do much with it. He truly is a "Bradley" type of player imo.

20 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Oh he is for sure a number 8, I should've made it more clear. I should've said that if Canada were playing the box formation again, that his competition would be with Oso and Arfield. The more advance spots. While Fraser will be up against Piette, Kaye, Eustaquio etc. Yankov doesn't have the defensive capabilities to play in the more defensive role of that box as of now.

Ya when I've watched him, a lot of times he starts as a 10, but mid way in the second half they would pull him back as a 8. I've personally never seen him as a DM.

I disagree with Fraser's offensive game. Watching him for years starting as a CB, I just never saw him near the box and do much with it. He truly is a "Bradley" type of player imo.

Okay that all makes sense, thanks for clarifying. Like I said, I have not seen him in a game, so thanks for providing your feedback on him as well. It is exciting to hear about his attacking qualities. The more of that we can get I  our pool, the better!

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Bulgaria I don't think have qualified for a World Cup since USA 1994 I believe. But then again Canada has not qualified since Mexico 1986 which is an even longer drought. But then again you're right, absolutely right Canada is going through a golden generation of talent right now. So the thought of being a part of that is and should be appealing to Yankov but it is only a matter of if Bulgaria cap tie him first at senior level. If they do that, then we can kiss our chances of landing him goodbye. But if Herdman and his staff were doing their due diligence, they would be getting him to switch nationality now.

His comments were a come get me plea, he also covered the rumours of the Olympic call up indirectly. Though I think comparing him to Transfermrkt comparables also doesn’t make sense, he’s a pro with 60 pro games with no sign of slowing down and the ones he’s being compared to have a roughly similar load of games played, but are also 3 years older. 

He’s one to go after, he may play 3 games for the CanMNT and he may play 60 plus. Lots of unknowns due to age,  but he’s playing a good standard and playing more than some we call up. 

4 minutes ago, jordan said:

His comments were a come get me plea, he also covered the rumours of the Olympic call up indirectly. Though I think comparing him to Transfermrkt comparables also doesn’t make sense, he’s a pro with 60 pro games with no sign of slowing down and the ones he’s being compared to have a roughly similar load of games played, but are also 3 years older. 

He’s one to go after, he may play 3 games for the CanMNT and he may play 60 plus. Lots of unknowns due to age,  but he’s playing a good standard and playing more than some we call up. 

Even if that is true then Canada...especially Herdman if he really wants Yankov, then he has a chance to cap tie him for Gold Cup 2021 because that is your first crack at him. 

56 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Bulgaria hasn't made a world cup in a while but with an expanded Euro they have a chance for that.

They are currently ranked 59 by FIFA for what it is worth. We are 73 so both teams are in the same neighborhood in that regard.

3 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

He said whichever country at the senior level "calls him up first"

Canada could decide to call him but then EURO 2021 is right around the corner next summer. Bulgaria are in the playoffs right now trying to qualify and if they decide to call Yankov, then that's that. Herdman if he knew what was good for him, he would call him now. But then comes the whole nationality switch red tape.

I personally think that if his strategy is to commit to whatever side calls him up first it is a boneheaded strategy. That would open him up to being called up, capped as a sub for a few minutes and then sat for the rest of his international career.  I think he needs to get better career advice if that is really his view. 

More likely its his agent etc trying to force something.  Remember Aleman, it seemed like Costa rica was interested, we capped him before he really deserved it but in the long run he wasnt good enough for either.  But he did get his international shot, he just didnt show much.