Montreal Impact 2020 Season

Big_M

Considering all the injuries this is an amazing start for the Henry era.  Players understand the system and have bought in, we didn't see that with Garde.  Waterman still looking good after 3 games.  Urruti looks like he's might earn his salary if he keeps this up.  AJH was a huge disappointment, matter of time until he finds himself in CPL.  Can't wait to see Wanyama on the field, he would've helped close the game down, really hope he stays healthy.

On 3/7/2020 at 8:06 PM, Chad_Impact said:

Yeah really don't get where the 7 minutes of extra time came from...MLS HQ?

Was there a lot of VAR? In the TFC game there was 6 minutes added in the first half with no significant injuries but 2 VAR reviews. Maybe some instruction from HQ to add for VAR?

On 3/9/2020 at 9:48 AM, Ruffian said:

Was there a lot of VAR? In the TFC game there was 6 minutes added in the first half with no significant injuries but 2 VAR reviews. Maybe some instruction from HQ to add for VAR?

There was two quick checks, they definitely did not add up to 7 minutes.

Edited by Chad_Impact

Just not working tactically in the first half of this olimpia match..piette taider wanyama together in the middle without someone else in the playmaker role is just not working..now down 0-2 at home they should go to a back 4 right away and put urruti or quioto as a 10 and bring in jackson or okwonkwo and pull out a cb

Might have been a better result for Montreal had they been able to play at Stade Saputo.   Honestly,  i think that the hardness of the surface and ensuing high bounces and difficulty in the controlling the ball,  hurt Montreal much more than the Honduran side.   I dont think that there is any question that talent-wise,  Montreal had the upper hand by far.    

But those fractions of seconds that are lost because of high ball bounces, means that the team with the better talent cant get into rhythm and flow.  And better teams can play and move the ball quicker which you cant do because you spend the whole friggen watching the ball in the air and waiting for it to land on the ground.    High ball bounces nullifies all the advantages that the more talented team would have.  

No soccer should be played on that kind of suface.  

Edited by Free kick

They hurt themselves digging a hole in the 1st half as Thierry mentioned by getting schooled. 

However in the second half they got CONCACAFed   Like who’s the referee here? The man on the spot who without hesitation made the call or the guy on the line yards away!? Man this region really gives me the creeps. Like Liam Neesons said in Rob Roy “best be no skullduggery here”  

image.gif

Edited by Moldy9

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Put out a new Impact video. This one is a short clip paying homage to some of the best players who suited up for the bleu blanc noir. Getting these players together on FIFA13. Pretty nostalgic.

TFC fans will enjoy as well. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That was ugly tonight against the Revs.   I know it's only one game and between the new manager and Covid, it's been hard to build a lot of cohesion in the team.  You have to wonder where the goals will come from?

Piette at RWB is just dumb.  I sure hope that never happens again.

But then he was bad in midfield in the second half also..again losing balls in his half..and again they gotta stop playing with so many defensive minded players..taider piette wanyama in the middle and three cb's is too much..not enough forward play not enough creation..and urruti is not a finisher so will get very tough if you put him as the lone cf..piette looks closer and closer to becoming a sub..lassi and orji were bad and gotta step up..something like a 4-2-3-1 could be more interesting..but I see why hes going with three at the back..fanni is very good but if hes only with one other cb its maybe too much space to cover for him and in any case he slows down in the second..if he wants to stay with three at the back at least put the right guys..brault at right wing back not piette..not bad from tabla at the end wanna see more of him

I think I would rather play beer pong with FC Dallas than watch the Impact play. Terrible team to watch. At what point do people blame Henry because his decisions seem odd. Tabla & Quito looks like they're most dangerous players

Edited by SpursFlu

7 minutes ago, Big_M said:

he had a win and a draw in his first two mls games so really too early to seriously point fingers

Yah but even in the Champions League the team just seemed boring. I'm just wondering if like other European coaches he'll rely on Euro wash outs and undervalue Latin American players. It's happened before

Edited by SpursFlu

11 hours ago, Big_M said:

But then he was bad in midfield in the second half also..

I'm trying to think of a single starter that acquitted himself well on the Impact.  Really having a hard time of that.

Wanyama looked good for the first 20 minutes.  The next 70 were forgettable with long stretches of invisibility.  Not sure if Taider connected on a pass.  Raitala was alright, I guess.

11 hours ago, Big_M said:

But then he was bad in midfield in the second half also..again losing balls in his half..and again they gotta stop playing with so many defensive minded players..taider piette wanyama in the middle and three cb's is too much..not enough forward play not enough creation..and urruti is not a finisher so will get very tough if you put him as the lone cf..piette looks closer and closer to becoming a sub..lassi and orji were bad and gotta step up..something like a 4-2-3-1 could be more interesting..but I see why hes going with three at the back..fanni is very good but if hes only with one other cb its maybe too much space to cover for him and in any case he slows down in the second..if he wants to stay with three at the back at least put the right guys..brault at right wing back not piette..not bad from tabla at the end wanna see more of him

Piette can't share defensive duties in the midfield, he doesn't know what to do with himself in a 4-2-3-1.  He can only play 6 in a 433 or or 4141.  I doubt we'll ever see him at RWB again, that was a huge fail.  With everyone healthy, i expect to see Wanyama start next game and Piette on the bench.  Good to see Henry experiment though.

11 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think I would rather play beer pong with FC Dallas than watch the Impact play. Terrible team to watch. At what point do people blame Henry because his decisions seem odd. Tabla & Quito looks like they're most dangerous players

Dude, this is pretty much a preseason game, no one has played in ~4 months - what did you expect exactly?

5 minutes ago, costarg said:

Dude, this is pretty much a preseason game, no one has played in ~4 months - what did you expect exactly?

I didnt want to say anything, as I am grateful for any games..but GEESHH.  These tournie games have been terrible.  Definitely seem like preseason games.  Saying that I cant wait for the next one.  WIth all the subs allowed I was almost hoping some of the younger guys would be motivated to win a spot.  

Henry has a massive puzzle with the Impacts roster.  There is a lot of potential, but building continuity and familiarity will be his biggest challenge.  Even with 5 changes per game, it’ll be difficult to get everyone the playing time they need to prove themselves.  15-20minutes won’t cut it.  I don’t see how we play back to back games with the same 11.  Not to mention high salaries that don’t factor in the best 11.

The depth on the wings is nuts, and no one really stands out as the clear starters:  Lappi, Quioto, Urutti, Ballou, Okwonkwo, Bojan..... 

I don't see how we fit Bojan in there regularly, he's got talent, but a little too much like Ozil where he disappears for 85 minutes and then produces one magical touch.  Personally - due to CANMNT potential - I'd rather see Ballou in there playing the creative (non-defending) forward.

The back is equally complicated.  You have Binks with loads of potential, same for ZBG, Waterman who we’d all like to see succeed (because CANMNT).  Fanni has to play, you’re paying Camacho a ton of money, Raitala is your captain. 

With a back 3, Raitala logically takes the LWB role, but that’s not his best position and Lassi provides more speed and offensive threat.  

Henry seems set on playing a back 3, I love the system but i’m not sure it gets the best 11 on the pitch.

Best 11 is probably:

-----------Quioto - Bojan

Lassi - Wanyama - Taider - Okwonkwo

Raitala - Binks - Fanni - ZBG

The lineup I want to see:

Tabla - Quioto - Okwonkwo  

Lassi - Wanyama - Taider - ZBG

Binks - Fanni - Waterman

However, this leaves the two captains and even more money and talent on the bench: Raitala, Piette, Bojan, Camacho, Urruti.