Montreal Impact 2020 Season

Big_M

6 hours ago, Big_M said:

Congrats to Bush on 10 seasons in Montreal and best wishes..good move for Vancouver

Vancouver Whitecaps acquire goalkeeper Evan Bush from Montreal Impact

I want to be respectful and honest, but i just gotta get some stuff off my chest..... Thank you for the 10 years of service, but mostly for helping us offload your huge contract.

Great guy and team mate, but not worth the salary.  He regressed massively after one good year.  He still makes the same routine mistakes he made while younger, just didn't seem to learn or develop. 

- He's a great shot stopper, great reflexes, but just doesn't read the game. 

- Terrible on set pieces/corners. 

- Doesn't understand when he needs to run the clock (give the defense a breather or ahead by one goal) vs speed the game up when down by a goal.  It was mind boggling and incredibly frustrating.

- But worst of all... half of his clearances and goal kicks go straight out for throw-ins (i'm barely exaggerating here). 

Just no focus, improvement or understanding of the little intricacies of he game.  Seemed like he got his contract and just stopped putting in the work and focus.  One interview really crushed it for me, he mentioned being exhausted from studying for his MBA and the short nights due to his 3rd child.  I dunno man, but a team puts their faith in you and gives you a $330k salary and you're showing up to games exhausted from studying for your after-soccer career?  Seriously?  At that salary you should focus on the soccer now and your MBA later.

Maybe if he's finished his MBA he'll show up in Vancouver more rested and focused on the job, I wish him and the Caps the best.

• 2 weeks later...

oh oh taider gone permanently and diop temporarily..pantemis in goal tonight and apparently they are starting shome and bayiha at the back against a new england that has lost only one in the last six..wouldnt be surprised if they concede a few

Montreal Impact's Saphir Taider transfers to Saudi Arabian club Al Ain

Montreal Impact's Clement Diop returns to France for personal reasons, return date TBD

bayiha pulled out at the break for corrales..no surprise..just not ready for mls ball..less than 10 min in buksa scores the third..waterman not able to prevent it..player selection and coaching is not great and they are lacking quality..dont see how they are making playoffs..ballou in for invisible toye and just like that 2 of 3 sub windows are used after 55 min..an example of coaching mistake

Does Henry have any Assistant coaches telling him what's going on with his subs?  Is there something to be salvaged from the season?  Seems like this is a lost season anyways, might as well start planning for next season and suddenly Bojan starts scoring....

Love seeing Pantemis in nets! 

• 2 weeks later...

That was painful last night against Nashville - this team really needs some new aquisitions, better player management, defensive strategy and attacking.  Only the keepers seem to be at MLS level. 

Piette looked like he was a central attacker last night.  Very strange.

Not sure how any other coach not named Thierry would have survived these results.

Sort of agree with many of your points.   But i am not sure about the talent part.  Nashville is not more talented than the Impact.   Maybe i am wrong,  but when i look at the Impact squad in relation to other MLS teams.  They look better than maybe half the teams in the league.

Edited by Free kick

IMFC looking pretty bad again tonight.  Doesn't seem like what ever Henry is trying to sell if finding any buyers.  They always look awful with the back 5 formation.  I don't get why he keeps trying and insisting, he just doesn't have the players for it, give it up.  

I love Henry, always been a huge fan, it hurts to say it, but I feel he's the biggest problem at the Impact right now.  

The Impact relied too much on Nacho Piatti for too long.  This is their first year without him, their one DP left is a DM who's over the hill and seems to be picking up speed, and people are wondering why a team who hasn't made the playoffs since Drogba and Bernier is doing so badly.  I don't put this on Henry, he's the new lipstick on a pig that's been decaying for years, Piatti being the old lipstick.   

The Impact have some good pieces, but have never figured out how to get them to work together. Now that Taider is gone, who's the playmaking midfielder?  Quioto look goods up front, but is usually on an island.  Who can play off him when he does get the ball?  Where does Piette slot in?  Lappalainen's fast, but who can play passes to utilize his speed?  Will Bojan learn that it's easier to score when you're not always shooting from 30 yards out and you use your teammates to get into the box?  Are there any young players showing potential to break into the team? The fact Henry continuously trots out a 5-4-1 tells me even he sees a lack of talent on this team.  It's basically bunker, and try not to get shelled.  Except there's no Nacho to rescue a game here or there anymore.

I'd like to see if Thierry has a say this winter and Saputo actually puts some money into some scoring and playmaking DPs for Montreal.  At least to start.  I think the Impact need an overhaul almost as much as the Whitecaps did last year, and I don't think getting 2 new DPs (or 3, I loved watching Wanyama in Europe, but he hasn't played like a DP this year) will fix the problems, but it might give the Impact some players to build a team around.