Montreal Impact 2020 Season

Big_M

How are the Impact fans out there feeling? Not an Impact fan, but will be cheering for them tonight. A lot of young, promising players could get a chance tonight.

Excited in particular to see if Tabla can get a run out. Brault-Guillard and Bayhia are vying for the RB spot, no? Will Waterman make his Impact debut? Will Shome play a role? We know Piette will. Choiniere? Jackson-Hamel? 

Edited by Obinna

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

How are the Impact fans out there feeling? Not an Impact fan, but will be cheering for them tonight. A lot of young, promising players could get a chance tonight.

Excited in particular to see if Tabla can get a run out. Brault-Guillard and Bayhia are vying for the RB spot, no? Will Waterman make his Impact debut? Will Shome play a role? We know Piette will. Choiniere? Jackson-Hamel? 

Already looks like a difficult mountain to climb.  Line-ups announced and we're missing two important starters: Taider and Lassi.  Pretty sure they'll park the bus for this one.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Word on Ballou's minutes? 

I was disappointed with his defensive effort. For a substitute, I expected more energy and hustle closing down space, getting in peoples faces, etc. I know it's hot and it's pre-season for the Impact, but he came on around the 70th minute and he's a young man. On the game tying goal, he was ball watching. Give and go on his side and instead of being sharp and focused, he hesitated for a split second and didn't track his man. That extra moment gave the Saprissa player space to play the cross into the box, which was converted.

The good was later in the game, after the tying goal, someone plays the ball to him near the top center part of the box, Piette I think it was. He simply let's the ball run and cleverly turns, fooling a few Saprissa players. With that space he created, he was able to pass it to Bojan, who kind of makes a mess of it on his first touch and the chance is gone. Had the Spaniard hit it first time it would have been a shot on goal. Bojan worked hard all game though, so I can forgive that.

Overall, I was disappointed with Tabla, but that moment of awareness and creativity he displayed is special. It is why I like him centrally and his work rate is going to have to improve on the defensive end if he is going to be a winger. Still not convinced that is his best position.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Word on Ballou's minutes? 

Meh.  I was disappointed actually.  I was excited when he came on, thinking "here's his chance!", and he really did nothing with it.  Showed no energy really (a poster in another thread actually partially blamed him for both goals) while Urruti, who had been on the field for an hour,  ran his ass off.  Ballou did make one good turn and set up Bojan at the top of the box, but he took too many touches and frittered the chance away.  

3 hours ago, Ivan said:

Meh.  I was disappointed actually.  I was excited when he came on, thinking "here's his chance!", and he really did nothing with it.  Showed no energy really (a poster in another thread actually partially blamed him for both goals) while Urruti, who had been on the field for an hour,  ran his ass off.  Ballou did make one good turn and set up Bojan at the top of the box, but he took too many touches and frittered the chance away.  

Yup. I'm also getting tired of his diving. 

7 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

What do you guys think about the game as a whole last night? 

Gutsy performance by Montreal. First competitive game since last fall away to Saprissa and having to make 2 early subs which was a killer. Fanni is a stud CB at 38 yrs!  Bojan missed some glorious chances to score and win the game. Quioto looked good....hate saying that!

6 hours ago, Ivan said:

Echoes of Wynn Belotte? All this promise at a young age but not enough humility to put in the work required? Or, if not lack of humility, then something else? The easiest thing to do is work your ass off! I hope he can get his head straight before it is too late.

Reading some post-match analysis I don't understand the negativity. Football is a game about winning. Beating Saprissa over two games is a daunting start of the season for any club coming out of the break. Of course we hope to see more but now Montreal is still in it and they're on the good side of the table as well.

Save the growing steadily into the season for MLS.

6 hours ago, shamrock said:

Reading some post-match analysis I don't understand the negativity. Football is a game about winning. Beating Saprissa over two games is a daunting start of the season for any club coming out of the break. Of course we hope to see more but now Montreal is still in it and they're on the good side of the table as well.

The strategy over the two games was perfect considering the huge challenges.

Saprissa is already in regular season form.  IMFC are missing 4-5 starters to injury, new 3-man D system, and in pre-season form.

They exceeded expectations by coming out on top. Henry has done really well. 

Edited by costarg

6 hours ago, shamrock said:

Yeah pretty bizarre... you have to be very happy with this result as Saprissa, in my mind, were favourites.  Look at the Liga MX teams Tigres and America.. both are very lucky to have not been eliminated by teams weaker than Saprissa.  This Saprissa squad is very talented and would do well in MLS.

Took some luck, but the Impact started things off the right way with a 2-1 win over NE.  With the strong Canadian content they are fielding and using in crucial roles, I will be paying a lot of attention to them this year.  

Along with the aggregate win over Saprissa, Henry is definitely starting his tenure of the right way.  

edited score

Edited by dyslexic nam

55 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Agreed - but the goal they conceded was brutal.  Five of them standing casually around one guy and ignoring everything else going on.  

Yes it was ugly, but they sucked it up and organized themselves on the back line after that.  I thought Quioto made the best effort through the game.  The double header goal was really nice, showing flashes of quality...hope it keeps up!  I also am cautiously optimistic about Urutti, lucky goal, but we'll take'em!