Montreal Impact 2020 Season

Big_M

3 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I'm trying to think of a single starter that acquitted himself well on the Impact.  Really having a hard time of that.

Wanyama looked good for the first 20 minutes.  The next 70 were forgettable with long stretches of invisibility.  Not sure if Taider connected on a pass.  Raitala was alright, I guess.

I only watched the game causally, but from what I saw Taider was fine and did some Taider things out there. It wasn't a noteworthy performance or anything, but he wasn't exactly a let down either. Wanyama looked pretty good to be, me was strong and elusive on the ball and gave Montreal some control in the midfield. Raitala was himself - unspectacular, but decent. 

Piette was the player who was disappointing for me. I should probably forgive his play in the first half, since he was out of position, but the second half he was also pretty meh. Obviously he looked more comfortable, but it wasn't a great day at the office for Piette.   

Edited by Obinna

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

again gotta put players where its their position..lappalainen is not a wing back..very offensive player

Lappalainen was very disappointing.  He had some runs on the wing and would run himself into trouble for an easy turnover.  Looked like he struggled making quick decisions 

9 hours ago, Big_M said:

again gotta put players where its their position..lappalainen is not a wing back..very offensive player

We used to say the same about a certain Alphonso Davies.  They have a nearly identical skill set.  Not at the same level obvisouly, but they're also not playing at the same level.

• 3 weeks later...

1 and 3 in this tourney..1 win 2 losses will count towards the regular season..it wasnt promising at all..bad individual and team performances..theres question marks all over the field..even fanni and wanyama didnt look good tonight..gotta wait and see what henry can do and the moves in the window

4 minutes ago, Big_M said:

1 and 3 in this tourney..1 win 2 losses will count towards the regular season..it wasnt promising at all..bad individual and team performances..theres question marks all over the field..even fanni and wanyama didnt look good tonight..gotta wait and see what henry can do and the moves in the window

I would say off the field too.  I haven’t understood some of Henry’s decisions.  Leaving Urruti on the bench for so long,  playing Piette in odd positions, etc.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

KJ talked about the lack of a goal scorer on the impact.  But i thought that in this game it was lack of service that was the problem.    A lot of repetitive plays that were more hit and hope balls.   Bojan can look invisible but i dont think its his fault, i am not sure that montreal’s style really fits his game.  He is just not getting anywhere near enough touches.

The guys that cover the league often bring up the name of Quioto.  Suggesting that this guy is some sort of noteworthy talent for the Impact.   I dont get why that is.   He can drive you nuts with the number of times he given up on balls and stopped his run on very playable and quality balls.   Saw this about three times in the past several games.   Holy smokes,  he is starting to look like a really lazy player.  I hope i am wrong.

Edited by Free kick

33 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would say off the field too.  I haven’t understood some of Henry’s decisions.  Leaving Urruti on the bench for so long,  playing Piette in odd positions, etc.  

I totally agree. I thought Piette started well but was totally gassed which led to the goal. You need a goal or you go home, why wait until the 86th minute. Should have made that change after the hydration break

Pretty bad performance, IMFC is a lot better than that on paper.  They didn't look good, but there were some little individual flashes.  There are a lot of question marks too.  As for things we know:

- Wanyama and Piette can't play in the midfield together.  Piette looks lost when asked to move up beside Taider, that just isn't his position.  Piette needs to be Wanyama's backup and thats it.

-Having Piette in the middle unable to distribute the ball and Bojan as number 10 not getting any balls is like playing down a man. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thierry did a poor job of managing playing time for his squad. Vs TFC you could see his players were exhausted but no subs. Early red vs Van and no quick subs?...He played the same squad sans Shome. A player like ZBG cannot bomb down the flank with the same gusto with 2 days rest. What's up with AJH? he looked lively in 2 sub appearances. I guess Tabla is still injured? The team badly needs some offensive help.

1 hour ago, Nate3322 said:

Henry really needs to learn how to make subs especially with the short turn over time in-between MLS games. Sure he may not have the best quality players on the bench but the impact players looked exhausted by the of the game

Learning curve, although Henry should know better how much road trips takes its toll on players in MLS versus Europe.

Apart from the intimidation factor of looking like he was chiselled out of a slab of granite, I'm not sure what Wanyama brings to the table.  His first touch looked pretty sketchy at times on the BC Place field turf in both matches.

I didn't know Shome was on the field until he was subbed off.

On 9/17/2020 at 3:00 PM, BearcatSA said:

Apart from the intimidation factor of looking like he was chiselled out of a slab of granite, I'm not sure what Wanyama brings to the table.  His first touch looked pretty sketchy at times on the BC Place field turf in both matches.

I didn't know Shome was on the field until he was subbed off.

Eh. I found Wanyama solid, not spectacular. But then again, expectation from Wanyama is pretty high. 

Camacho should be doing laps up and down Mount Royal for the screw up