Montreal Impact 2020 Season

Big_M

On 11/8/2020 at 5:42 PM, Club Linesman said:

Piette makes a bad challenge in the 92nd and earns a red.  If they hold on he will miss the game.  

With Wanyama leaving after the game to join Kenya, i assume that means he also misses the next game due to quarantine?  It does not look good for next game, the two players with the most minutes since the beginning of the year.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

With Wanyama leaving after the game to join Kenya, i assume that means he also misses the next game due to quarantine?  It does not look good for next game, the two players with the most minutes since the beginning of the year.

Don't think there's any quarantine restrictions for him to go back to the US so he should be fine for the game.  He just won't be training with the Impact in Canada.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Yohan said:

I noted this sentence:

It took him almost 20 games before he scored his first Arsenal goal, but once he got that first one, 227 more followed. 

I guess there is hope for David at Lille!

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

I noted this sentence:

It took him almost 20 games before he scored his first Arsenal goal, but once he got that first one, 227 more followed. 

I guess there is hope for David at Lille!

I didn't know that.  He should put that on his coaching resume as a hint to his dedication and character.

Mixed emotions in this game.   When it comes to the playoffs, I want to see as many canadian teams advance as possible.  And, i want to see the realisation of a Cnd matchup because of the kind of magic that it generated in 2016.

So i was routing for Montreal most of the game.  I thought,  that for about 70-75 minutes Montreal executed a plan and played just well enough that realistically they could expect a win.   But by around the 80-90th minute it was looking more and more that Montreal would have stolen one, and my sentiments chnaged.   Knowing how often the playoffs had produced unjust results in the past,  i was happy to see NE get the goal.   Without the absences, it would have looked different for Montreal but NE just wanted it more and deserved to move on.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

I didn't know that.  He should put that on his coaching resume as a hint to his dedication and character.

You would think a guy who went through that would have some consideration for a young player struggling.  Very tough way to lose in the last moments like that, but it was coming for the last 15-20min.

ZBG looked very good, between him Lareya and Johnston (who is looking good tonight as well) RB is seeming more like a strength than a weakness for CMNT.  

With Champions league games in December how does this announcement impact the eligibility of these players, assume they are under contract until December 31st.  

"Le club n’exercera pas l’option des contrats des milieux de terrain Bojan, Steeven Saba, Shamit Shome, ainsi que celui de l’attaquant Anthony Jackson-Hamel.'

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

With Champions league games in December how does this announcement impact the eligibility of these players, assume they are under contract until December 31st.  

"Le club n’exercera pas l’option des contrats des milieux de terrain Bojan, Steeven Saba, Shamit Shome, ainsi que celui de l’attaquant Anthony Jackson-Hamel.'

It's explained in detail pretty well here: https://impactsoccer.com/news.php?id=2042, but you'll have to translate if you don't speak French.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Now all we need is Vancouver to change to FC and we can completely whitewash the CDN MLS teams so they can be identityless cheap clones of european clubs.  Grr........

I was never a fan of that need to mimick the club names that used in europe.   As long as a name has history and awareness, thats what counts.  Sure, eventually i got used to Sporting Kansas and DC united ect.   But at first i thought it was stupid.  

Clubs in europe are clubs.  They are differnt legal entities and their names reflect that.  In north america we have franchises.  To europeans thats a dirty word, but it is what it is.  Franchises can have nicknames and thats part of their brand, at first it all sounds corporate but over time,  it developes.   But the constant need to always fall back to the euro sounding names smacks of inferiority complex.

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I was never a fan of that need to mimick the club names that used in europe.   As long as a name has history and awareness, thats what counts.  Sure, eventually i got used to Sporting Kansas and DC united ect.   But at first i thought it was stupid.  

Clubs in europe are clubs.  They are differnt legal entities and their names should reflect that.  In north america we have franchises.  To europeans thats a dirty word, but it is what it is.  Franchises can have nicknames and thats part of their brand, at first it all sounds corporate but over time,  it develops.  But the constant need to always fall back to the euro sounding names smacks of inferiority complex.

Montreal Impact Test Positive For The FC Virus

December 1, 2020

MONTREAL - Despite their best efforts to quarantine over the last 27 years, it was leaked to the press, today, that the Montreal Impact tested positive for the FC Virus.

wufc.jpg

“We couldn’t believe it,” stated owner/operator Joey Saputo. “We’ve been taking this virus very seriously, but it seems like every other team in North America, we suddenly are FC.”

Sources indicate that the virus must have started infecting the organization months or even years ago as it spread throughout the front office of the Impact before they finally tested positive

“This is a warning to other teams, you’ll enjoy your life like nothings happening and next thing you know you have the FC virus,” stated one anonymous source with Montreal FC. “I’m looking at you New England, acting like nothing is wrong. Don’t think this is a hoax! You could be Boston FC, tomorrow.”

The Nutmeg News will have more on this as local residents attempt to inoculate themselves against the FC Virus

https://www.thenutmegnews.com/current/2020/12/1/montreal-impact-test-positive-for-the-fc-virus

I don't know, the news source that leaked isn't the most credible or "in the know".  I'll only believe it when I see it.

I know its controversial, historically speaking and I'm no fan of the euro copy-cat FC, United, etc... however i've always disliked the Impact name.  I understand they wanted something bilingual and it sounded cool 27 years ago, but it got old really fast.  Personally I'd be happy to see it go, it just sounds soo U13. 

I was always a little torn when the youth team got Montreal FC.  I'm all in for the name/brand change.  Just me?

13 hours ago, costarg said:

I don't know, the news source that leaked isn't the most credible or "in the know".  I'll only believe it when I see it.

I know its controversial, historically speaking and I'm no fan of the euro copy-cat FC, United, etc... however i've always disliked the Impact name.  I understand they wanted something bilingual and it sounded cool 27 years ago, but it got old really fast.  Personally I'd be happy to see it go, it just sounds soo U13. 

I was always a little torn when the youth team got Montreal FC.  I'm all in for the name/brand change.  Just me?

Not with you on this one my friend. It is about 8 years too late for me. The time to drop this cartoonish name was in 2012 when they entered MLS. Now at the MLS level they have cemented their identity as Impact de Montreal and the cartoonish nature of the name just isn't there anymore to me. When I hear that name I think of a respectable franchise who despite ups and downs has done alright for itself. To me at this point changing the name would be more clownish than the name itself. The club has a very nice logo as well, so I would not be in favor of a re-brand in this particular situation.