Montreal Impact 2020 Season

Big_M

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Not with you on this one my friend. It is about 8 years too late for me. The time to drop this cartoonish name was in 2012 when they entered MLS. Now at the MLS level they have cemented their identity as Impact de Montreal and the cartoonish nature of the name just isn't there anymore to me. When I hear that name I think of a respectable franchise who despite ups and downs has done alright for itself. To me at this point changing the name would be more clownish than the name itself. The club has a very nice logo as well, so I would not be in favor of a re-brand in this particular situation.

I hear you, and I kind of agree.  2012 was the right time to do it, I was even hoping for it back then.  But I'd still take it now.

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Not with you on this one my friend. It is about 8 years too late for me. The time to drop this cartoonish name was in 2012 when they entered MLS. Now at the MLS level they have cemented their identity as Impact de Montreal and the cartoonish nature of the name just isn't there anymore to me. When I hear that name I think of a respectable franchise who despite ups and downs has done alright for itself. To me at this point changing the name would be more clownish than the name itself. The club has a very nice logo as well, so I would not be in favor of a re-brand in this particular situation.

I remember that one of the conditions Mtl would join MLS was that it would be allowed to keep the "Impact" name.

12 hours ago, costarg said:

40 years since the founding of the Montreal Manic, maybe its a tribute year with retro Manic jerseys?  The Kid Mero Wow GIF by Desus & Mero

I actually have one but I doubt it would happen (different owners for one reason).

Edited by MtlMario

19 minutes ago, Big_M said:

That leaves 3 open spots on the Impact roster, with 16 Canadians signed for 2021.  The Impact seem happy with their roster or plan to go cheap for next season.  Some season long loans to the CPL could open up a few more roster spots.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

Mlssoccer has them at 26 or 27 players..they are counting seven defenders but listing eight so making a mistake somewhere..in any case in mls its not as simple as saying theres this many spots left as on top of the 30 limit theres a limit on senior players and a limit on two types of supplemental..so if they are over the limit in one of the categories they will have to send out a player or move him to another category if possible

2020 Montreal Impact Roster as of December 4, 2020:

HEAD COACH: Thierry Henry

FORWARDS (3):

• Quioto, Romell
  • Toye, Mason
  • Urruti, Maxi

MIDFIELDERS (13):

• Assi, Jean-Aniel
  • Bahiya, Clement
  • Choiniere, Mathieu
  • Giraldo, Tomas
  • Lappalainen, Lassi
  • Maciel, Emanuel
  • Piette, Samuel
  • Rea, Sean
  • Saliba, Nathan-Dylan
  • Sejdic, Amar
  • Tabla, Ballou
  • Wanyama, Victor
  • Zouhir, Rida

DEFENDERS (7):

• Bassong, Zorhan
  • Binks, Luis
  • Brault-Guillard, Zachary
  • Camacho, Rudy
  • Ferdinand, Keesean
  • Mustafa, Kizza
  • Waterman, Joel
  • Yao, Karifa

GOALKEEPERS (3):

• Diop, Clement
  • Pantemis, James
  • Sirois, Jonathan

57 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Mlssoccer has them at 26 or 27 players..they are counting seven defenders but listing eight so making a mistake somewhere..in any case in mls its not as simple as saying theres this many spots left as on top of the 30 limit theres a limit on senior players and a limit on two types of supplemental..so if they are over the limit in one of the categories they will have to send out a player or move him to another category if possible

2020 Montreal Impact Roster as of December 4, 2020:

HEAD COACH: Thierry Henry

FORWARDS (3):

• Quioto, Romell
  • Toye, Mason
  • Urruti, Maxi

MIDFIELDERS (13):

• Assi, Jean-Aniel
  • Bahiya, Clement
  • Choiniere, Mathieu
  • Giraldo, Tomas
  • Lappalainen, Lassi
  • Maciel, Emanuel
  • Piette, Samuel
  • Rea, Sean
  • Saliba, Nathan-Dylan
  • Sejdic, Amar
  • Tabla, Ballou
  • Wanyama, Victor
  • Zouhir, Rida

DEFENDERS (7):

• Bassong, Zorhan
  • Binks, Luis
  • Brault-Guillard, Zachary
  • Camacho, Rudy
  • Ferdinand, Keesean
  • Mustafa, Kizza
  • Waterman, Joel
  • Yao, Karifa

GOALKEEPERS (3):

• Diop, Clement
  • Pantemis, James
  • Sirois, Jonathan

Lots of CDN’s, play the kids is clearly the new norm, probably for the best they aren’t exactly profitable.

I’d expect them to move out some guys in what is a crowded midfield.

if Bojan comes back it gets even more crowded, I’d imagine there’s some loans but clearly they will play the kids theres a lot and then I think Ballou is out.

I just don't get it. Why would Montreal want to copy the branding of Toronto FC?! A generic euro style name. They are your arch rivals not best friends!

4plyhv.jpg

Okay, maybe the Impact is a bit old and one night they decided to be "FC'ed"

4plyso.jpg

Don't do it! Remember all the history! The highs and the lows. Remember back in the old days when MLS was just a twinkle in the Impact eyes? Remember those special days in Mexico and Olympic stadium? 

4pm0tb.jpg

Do you really think a few more eurosnob fans are going to come to games? Really Montreal?! Sure, merchandise is going to fly off the shelves.... into the bargain bin that is...

4pm0l1.jpg

I think only one outcome is bound to happen...

4pm1a5.jpg

Montreal just picked up Kamal Miller. Austin picked Miller in the expansion draft and then flipped him for 225K in funny money plus a draft pick. Wonder if he will be immediately available for the game against Olimpia, given that it’s in Orlando?  Impact have a ton of players on the DL right now. 

Edited by shorty

On 12/17/2020 at 10:35 AM, Ruud said:

Seems a good strategy although I think Latin America is the best place to find creative talent for this league at a decent cost.  Can these young midfielders meet expectations?

Renard must have read your post...“When you make a transfer — and it is a transfer — inside the league and you pay $600,000 or $800,000 (GAM), that means a lot of money," .sporting director Olivier Renard said. "But if yesterday I took a player from Europe, or Argentina, for $1 million, everybody would say we’re making a big investment in a young player from Argentina. For me, it’s no difference. We wanted the player, we made the deal."