Match Thread: November 2, 2019 - Cavalry FC v Forge FC - Finals - 2nd Leg

narduch

12 minutes ago, Lofty said:

The way cards are handed out like confetti these days is ridiculous.

Red cards should be reserved for things like deliberate and cynical foul play; and the Waterman handball does not qualify.

It would be better to change the rules so that the punishment fits the crime, such as awarding a "breakaway penalty" (like in hockey) when a foul outside the area prevents a breakaway scoring chance.

The Waterman red had no merit whatsoever. And while the referee had the power to give it, he was not obliged to. Exactly the same situation occurred in TFC's playoff match last night: Bradley committed a foul in the area that prevented a clear scoring chance and was given a yellow, not a red. That is how a competent ref handles it under the current rules.

Bradley barely touched Pity Martinez. A red there would have been a travesty of epic proportions. 

57 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I think they got both calls right in the end, but it still seems like a harsh punishment for an unintentional hand ball. I wouldn’t mind seeing that rule changed at some point 

If by "got them right" you mean, "the league's chosen golden boy gets to be on the field" then sure.

From out here it is just another example of the Center of the Universe protecting and promoting their own.

Good, good.   Quite right on both accounts.  

Waterman's red I'd call every single time, but that could just be the cynic in me assuming he was trying to be clever.  Can understand how people will argue the point, but I'm still calling it 100% of the time.

If Borges conduct on the play in question is deserving of a red I'll eat not only my hat but yours as well.

Anyway, everybody gets a bit of something out of this.  Forge gets their best player back, who's been giving Cavalry fits in the last two matches by the way, and Cavalry gets to play the victim card.  

Ooooh.  So much drama.

1 hour ago, ted said:

If by "got them right" you mean, "the league's chosen golden boy gets to be on the field" then sure.

From out here it is just another example of the Center of the Universe protecting and promoting their own.

I'm a neutral for the final, as I'm from out west as well. I've also been quite critical of the Ontario bias that seems to be prevalent in the league, but I just didn't see violent conduct from Borges in that play. Wheeldon was the aggressor, and he knew exactly what he was doing

If you're Forge how do you come out to start this match?  Current forecast is a high of 7, 30% POP, excellent for Calgary in November.  I expect an intense match especially with the Borges/Waterman news.  

Samuel and Owundi are back from suspension but Krutzen was excellent last week. I don't expect Forge to try to hold onto the 1-0 but do you try to take an away goal early and take the air out of Spruce Meadows?  Do you try to just absorb the pressure and wait to hit Cavalry on the counter?  Do you try to go shot for shot with knowing away goals will be in your favour?

6 hours ago, ted said:

Based on what I've seen on Twitter and this forum I'd say the vast of majority of fans outside of Calgary agree with the decision to overturn.  But conspiracy theories are always fun, so by all means . . .

12 minutes ago, kacbru said:

I've heard Hamilton called many things, but centre of the universe is not one of them!

Yeah from our here it looks like a suburb of Toronto, you know where the league offices are located and all decisions and media content are made. 

Sorry, still feeling sensitive because when Terran Campbell was leading the golden boot race all the fucking CanPL "analysts" could talk about was how great Borges was.