Pacific FC - 2019 Season Thread

ted

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Would have loved to see Alan Koch take the job. Unfortunately Alan was picked up by Colorado’s USL side after exiting Cincinnati. 

1 minute ago, hamiltonfan said:

Would have loved to see Alan Koch take the job. Unfortunately Alan was picked up by Colorado’s USL side after exiting Cincinnati. 

I literally just came back to post that. I don't see him dropping that job that quickly either unfortunately. I am very interested to see where they go and if like some of their players they push the boat out a bit on a more experienced coach. 

A bit of a surprise, while it was a mediocre performance by the team,  he did well with what he had to deal with. Injured and underperforming older players, started the spring season with not a full squad, lots of young inexperienced players. Many predicted a last place finish, so he did better then expected.

Going by MLS foreign coaches, some have a hard time dealing with how things are done in North America. Critical of management and league rules. Wonder if he rubbed the FO the wrong way, which lead to termination? Maybe by mutual consent since foreign coaches usually have many more opportunities in Europe, while Canadians and Americans have little to chose from. 

I've been disappointed with how little the team seems to have improved throughout the season. It was always going to be difficult to take on an entirely new group of players, but we still look lackluster in attack at times, and there are still far too many mistakes on defense and in possession. There's been little cohesion in the lineup from week to week as well. I still don't know what Silberbauer's preferred 11 was.

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Per AFTN, doesn't sound like mutual consent. Sounds like he just wasn't getting the job done.

I always thought he never looked comfortable on the sidelines or being interviewed. It never came across to me that he was all in with the roster he had (like most other managers who play up their players). 

It felt he regretted the move to Canada. Not sure what was the pitch by Friend & Simpson, but he came across the least enthusiatic of the managers. 

Edited by red card

With the interview and comments on reddit starting to look like Friend and Simpson dont know what they are doing out there..wives heavily involved, losing big money on the store..bunch of weird questionnable comments by Friend...hopefully they know what theyre doing otherwise could be trouble on and off the field

19 hours ago, Big_M said:

Good decision..this squad heavily underperformed and he showed that he didnt have the answers

28 minutes ago, Big_M said:

With the interview and comments on reddit starting to look like Friend and Simpson dont know what they are doing out there..wives heavily involved, losing big money on the store..bunch of weird questionnable comments by Friend...hopefully they know what theyre doing otherwise could be trouble on and off the field

Pretty quick change of opinion based off of one random reddit comment

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fmobil.bold.dk%2Ffodbold%2Fnyheder%2Fuenigheder-bag-silberbauers-canadiske-brud%2F

...We had a meeting the day before the last game of the season, where we talked about how and how things were going and about the future. I expressed that this first season had gone well.

- We have given young Canadian players the opportunity to develop as planned. We have given our U21 players clearly the most minutes of everyone in the league. Ten times more than some of the other clubs, and before the last game we had the opportunity to finish as number four - right in the middle - with the clearest youngest squad, and I thought that would be great.

- But of course there were also things that needed to be corrected for next season, Silberbauer tells bold.dk and continues:

- The club then stated that we should continue to use young players, but at the same time win much more. I thought that sounded difficult. Few teams win with such young players. ...

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

- The club then stated that we should continue to use young players, but at the same time win much more. I thought that sounded difficult. Few teams win with such young players. ...

Yeah, this is what confused me about this. At the Season-ticket-holders event a month or so ago Friend spoke about the development of youth. I thought he agreed that building for next year and the long-term, was an acceptable goal that excused the results this year.

Oh well, hopefully the foundation built will not be wasted in the transition. This is one reason I hope Merriman is the coach for 2020.