2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

16 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

3968 in Calgary:

https://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2019/09/22/canada/canadian-premier-league/cavalry/canada-pacific-fc/2991901/

The $20 SIROCCO tickets maybe helped shift some expensive seats.

13 hours ago, shermanator said:

As usual, Ozzie the Parrot / BBTB is so full of **** I can give him an enema and stuff him in a matchbox.

No, the SIROCCO code was not the sole reason why Cavalry drew almost 4000. Don't get me wrong, the code helped convince some who were on the fence, but there is something really great brewing in Calgary. 

You said the exact same thing, in very different ways.

17 hours ago, BFBF said:

People worried about Edmonton don’t know what is actually going on in the community. The Edmonton clubs don’t resent the academy. And Edmonton is updating their academy setup to better support all top players in the city. As far as the stadium atmosphere, it may seem empty, but the fans are very engaged. The attendance is not super high, but many season ticket holders just don’t show up all the time. It is a weird situation, tickets are selling, and the club is growing, it just isn’t “sexy” like Halifax. The management in Edmonton is very knowledgeable and the club will continue to grow. Having been a fan of the club for years I can tell you that there is more interest this year than any year.

I hope this is the situation. It has be a weird situation for fans to be very engaged but don't want to show up all the time. 

FCE belongs in the same bucket as PFC & York9 except I worry more about FCE because they don't seem to be on any path to improve their stadium, play a style that is hard to watch and have only 2 notable players.

HFX, Valour, Cavalry & Forge are all in the sexy camp. Still lots of improvement needed but done a lot of things right off the pitch. 

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

No crowd number so far from Halifax:

https://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2019/09/28/canada/canadian-premier-league/hfx-wanderers/fc-edmonton/2991902/

But looked full enough to be announced as a sell out.

Crowd was slightly smaller then normal for Saturday. Standing room was only about 2 deep instead of 4 deep.

However under the circumstances the dedication of the Wanderer fan is second to none. However today there was evidence that some of our patience is starting to crack. This is simply not good enough.

There's an unusually clear picture of both sides of THF (only briefly for the three tier side, but much longer for active part of the lower bowl of the two tier side), around 308 seconds into the latest Forge highlights:

Judge for yourselves if the active sections look around 55% full as the announced number implies.

On the bright side, all the orange jerseys (like the sea of blue on the far side in Halifax during Saturday's game) shows there is a hardcore that's really into it and is buying the merchandise, which will be doing no harm to the leagues revenues as there should be a large profit margin on those. That's something you definitely didn't see 30 years ago with the CSL.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There's an unusually clear picture of both sides of THF (only briefly for the three tier side, but much longer for active part of the lower bowl of the two tier side), around 308 seconds into the latest Forge highlights:

Judge for yourselves if the active sections look around 55% full as the announced number implies.

On the bright side, all the orange jerseys (like the sea of blue on the far side in Halifax during Saturday's game) shows there is a hardcore that's really into it and is buying the merchandise, which will be doing no harm to the leagues revenues as there should be a large profit margin on those. That's something you definitely didn't see 30 years ago with the CSL.

Or is it people who simply are wearing their free jerseys from the season ticket promotion?  lol

I cant imagine many people paying 120$ for a tiny piece of fabric..... 

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Or is it people who simply are wearing their free jerseys from the season ticket promotion?  lol

I cant imagine many people paying 120$ for a tiny piece of fabric..... 

That is exactly what it is, I never would have paid that cash for a jersey, it was included with my season ticket which was a great idea, I wonder what they'll do next season?

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's announced attendance which never matches up with bums in the seats for pro sports, looked they had some rain as the rain gear was worn and saw umbrellas in the crowd as well. Problem with TH Field is there's no roof so bad weather will result in more no shows.

In their new configuration next year crowd will look much better on the broadcasts and also a better atmosphere, good on them for making the change.

Edited by CDNFootballer

12 hours ago, gator said:

That is exactly what it is, I never would have paid that cash for a jersey, it was included with my season ticket which was a great idea, I wonder what they'll do next season?

In Halifax there is no jersey promotion with the season ticket renewal  :(

Have to admit that's not a surprise though wasn't really expecting that promotion again this year.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Incoming low crowd for the Cavalry by the looks of things:

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/cavalry-fc-vs-valour-fc/event/110056656F151AFF

Don't remember ever seeing that many blue dots before.

Not going to check but I don't expect a lot in Victoria tonight. Forecast is for rain for a meaningless game, hopefully the charity aspect brings people in (food drive organized by a well-known local business).

I dont get all the meaningless game talk.  We have all whined, pleaded, demanded that we get our own league and have a pro team in our back yard.  Now its here!!  I've never been able to go to TO, VAN or MTL to see a game...meaningless or not.  But I have been to see the Valour...and it was great, whether they were playing for first place or just to get some revenge on Calgary.  So tonight I want to see someone foul Buscher so hard his cleats are out of style when he wakes up.  GET SOME!!!  

92402bba56c186c7e51bab6b4659f0f8.jpg

11 hours ago, Lofty said:

Oh no, the meaningless match donkeys have infiltrated the CPL!

If you are there to enjoy the football, there is no such thing as a meaningless match...

That seems to be the mentality in Halifax more than it is in the other cities, but even in Halifax the crowd has been thinning out a bit of late. When these games were scheduled they probably envisaged that there would still be a meaningful contest for participation in the Championship games, but that wasn't to be. Rightly or wrongly a significant portion of the potential fanbase will only show up if something is genuinely on the line, so leagues around the world have been adjusting their formats over the years to try to make sure that's usually the case. If this league is going to hang around long term 2000 and change announced, which is probably really closer to 1000 and change actual in some cases isn't going to cut it, so they need to look at what worked well and what didn't and adjust accordingly.