2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

It looks to me like tickets sold for tonight's game are about 3500.  With a temperature around 1 at kick off, on a Wednesday night, I doubt we'll see much walk up traffic, and there will surely be no shows.  Unfortunately, it's going to be a sparse crowd tonight.  I expect 144 to have a good turnout however, so we'll be bringing the noise to see the season out in Winnipeg 😉

10 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Is there concern that attendance has pretty severely deteriorated in the last month?

Particularilly for Forge who is fighting for the league title playing their rival and cant even draw 4000k in a 25,000 seat stadium. I would think that has to throw red flags up? Especially when Forge was supposed to be the flagship franchise.

1 minute ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Is there concern that attendance has pretty severely deteriorated in the last month?

Particularilly for Forge who is fighting for the league title playing their rival and cant even draw 4000k in a 25,000 seat stadium. I would think that has to throw red flags up? Especially when Forge was supposed to be the flagship franchise.

I think we should wait to see the attendance for the final before throwing up alarm bells on that front. 

9 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

The season feels like it has lost some meaning to it since we've known who was playing in the championship for about a month now

8 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I think you already know what the answer is to the question that you just posed. Big things to watch in the weeks and months ahead is how the finals do on attendance and what season ticket renewals are like. Hopefully it's nothing that an adjusted regular season format can't fix.

45 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

The season feels like it has lost some meaning to it since we've known who was playing in the championship for about a month now

True, and also doesn't help that in a seven team league, the same teams will have been seen multiple times already. The CFL is similarly small (9 instead of 7) but there's only 18 games so less fatigue of seeing the same teams over and over again. In a larger league like the NHL your team might be eliminated from the playoffs but you might still want to go to see the visiting team or particular player that you haven't seen before.

13 minutes ago, PaulV said:

True, and also doesn't help that in a seven team league, the same teams will have been seen multiple times already. The CFL is similarly small (9 instead of 7) but there's only 18 games so less fatigue of seeing the same teams over and over again. In a larger league like the NHL your team might be eliminated from the playoffs but you might still want to go to see the visiting team or particular player that you haven't seen before.

Yeah unfortunately at this point there isn't a whole lot that can be done about the low number of teams other than being patient. The championship format however, can certainly be changed

6 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I'd say there would be slight concern for some clubs (notably Valour FC and Pacific FC) and not much for others, but the format is likely part of it with clubs out of the race, and weather/scheduling contributing as well.

Cavalry are only slightly down (2942 last 4 games vs 3276 average for the year) but the last game in the freezing temps was there low point at 1938 which brings it down.

HFX is fine obviously, York9 attendance is actually up in the last 4 matches (2873 avg vs 2667 avg on the year).

Edmonton down a few hundred per game on average.

Pacific down over 600 per game last 4, with some poor attendances in that span of roughly 2000, 2100, and just under 2400.

Valour has averaged 3878 its last 4 games and 3 of its lowest attendances were in the last 4 games and less than 4K.

Finally, Forge is averaging over 5K last 4 games. Their soccer configuration is 10K and without the inaugural match, their highest was 7152, the only time they hit 7k. Most of their attendances were in  the 5K+ to 6K+ range so last night was the low point and an exception it seems.

Edited by CDNFootballer

16 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

I'd say there would be slight concern for some clubs (notably Valour FC and Pacific FC) and not much for others...

That is an odd statement given that numbers at those two teams have still been doing better overall than York? 

Westhills is on track for a sellout, or close to it, for the finale tomorrow even with a totally meaningless game.

5 hours ago, ted said:

That is an odd statement given that numbers at those two teams have still been doing better overall than York? 

Westhills is on track for a sellout, or close to it, for the finale tomorrow even with a totally meaningless game.

I meant it in the context of the statement I was quoting about any concern over deteriorating attendance over the last 4 weeks or so.

Hope Pacific gets a good crowd to finish the season, Westhills will be rockin if so! I went to the match when they opened the new stand in August and with 4300 in attendance it was a great atmosphere.

York announce 3452:

https://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2019/10/19/canada/canadian-premier-league/york-9/hfx-wanderers/2991917/

There were a few people in the far side bleachers so there were probably more tickets being distributed than usual.

3492 announced for Cavalry game:

https://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2019/10/19/canada/canadian-premier-league/cavalry/fc-edmonton/2991915/

5103 announced for Pacific game:

https://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2019/10/20/canada/canadian-premier-league/canada-pacific-fc/valour/2991916/

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 10/18/2019 at 10:01 AM, ted said:

Westhills was far short of a sellout.  Didn't realize the game was on CBC. Didn't tune in until late, but some definite patches of empty seats in areas.  Mind you, it was 3-0 at the time.  But still, they didn't announce it as a sellout either.

Edit: Ignore. I forgot Westhills was Pacific.

Edited by Watchmen

52 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Westhills was far short of a sellout.  Didn't realize the game was on CBC. Didn't tune in until late, but some definite patches of empty seats in areas.  Mind you, it was 3-0 at the time.  But still, they didn't announce it as a sellout either.

Was half empty in the main stand for the whole game.  I watched the game on CBC. Good crowds on each end behind the goal but to say the main stand was even half full is generous. 

4 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Was half empty in the main stand for the whole game.  I watched the game on CBC. Good crowds on each end behind the goal but to say the main stand was even half full is generous. 

Ok totally ignore that comment I had too many beer   lol

Though that comment was about Calgary - Westhills is Pacific. In all fairness I think Watchman got mixed up too  :D

1 minute ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Ok totally ignore that comment I had too many beer   lol

Though that comment was about Calgary - Westhills is Pacific. In all fairness I think Watchman got mixed up too  :D

Oh yeah, I was totally thinking Calgary.  Haha.

On 10/18/2019 at 3:46 PM, CDNFootballer said:

I meant it in the context of the statement I was quoting about any concern over deteriorating attendance over the last 4 weeks or so.

Hope Pacific gets a good crowd to finish the season, Westhills will be rockin if so! I went to the match when they opened the new stand in August and with 4300 in attendance it was a great atmosphere.

Announced attendance of 5,103. There were some open patches but a lot of that was at either end of the main stand. That has been an issue for much of the season.

Should put Pacific at over 3,000/game this season.