Sign in to follow this  
CDNFootballer

2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

...Saturdays CPL home opener for York9 will be meaningful however although weather may likely heavily affect the crowd for that one.

The attendance will probably be boosted by at least 1000 Forge members with freebie tickets. As with other teams it will be three home league games in until we get a clearer picture of normal levels of fan interest.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Interesting how the goalposts shift on here now that reality is replacing aspiration. I was on the receiving end of all kinds of ridicule and at times vile personal abuse on this forum for suggesting that the league should assume attendance of around 3000 initially and that talk of 6000-8000 being the norm was overly optimistic. As things stand at the moment that's looking not too far off now that the initial excitement with home openers is wearing off.

It would be surprising if any franchise at or above that sort of number would throw in the towel unless the investors involved were completely blind to what tends to happen in lower budget pro soccer leagues in North America. The concern would be with any that are significantly under it. As long as there is a net gain in numbers terms on expansion vs departing or relocating strugglers the show goes on and in a worst case scenario they could still relent where having MLS affiliates is concerned, so I'd be very surprised if this league folds any time soon based on what we have seen so far.  

This comment leaves me feeling extremely conflicted....it might be the biggest backwards compliment I've ever read. :huh:

Edited by HfxCeltic

29 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

This comment leaves me feeling extremely conflicted....it might be the biggest backwards compliment I've ever read. :huh:

Also, can we all agree to stop calling the clubs “franchises”?

10 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

This is a very important point.  Everyone's talking about expansion and getting an even number of teams in for next year, when there's no guarantee at all we'll be carrying forward the seven from this season.

C'mon man, nobody is folding after the first season.  I would say it would be at least  3 years before any team folds.  There are some imperfections but the league seems to be built on a strong base. i see a strong 10-12 team league for a long time.  Failure is not an option.

9 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

1723 is the announced attendance for York 9 vs Blainville.

https://canpl.ca/matchcentre/f00c5s9hncz654ukef3o62356_c/highlights

Still no work on the Calgary crowd.

https://canpl.ca/matchcentre/ezy1vioi3zg4klptj92tunj3e_c/highlights

Yeah that seems about right for York having gone to the game. I assume it's taken from the turnstile, otherwise it could give us some insight into season tickets sold. 

I'm not worried about York 9's future. They have a rich owner and appear to be doing a good job on the grass roots level.

I just wish they would fix up their stadium and reconsider their pricing.

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

Yeah that seems about right for York having gone to the game. I assume it's taken from the turnstile, otherwise it could give us some insight into season tickets sold. 

It seems completely off for me, having gone to the game.

The permanent stands have about 3000 seats.  The east GA stands were closed down.  The SG section and the corner suites aren't going to add much more to that.

There's no way that the stands were more than half-full.  It couldn't be turnstile.

All it means is that Y9 has roughly 1700 season tickets sold, aside from the ~25 Blainville supporters who showed up to the game.

2 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

C'mon man, nobody is folding after the first season.  I would say it would be at least  3 years before any team folds.  There are some imperfections but the league seems to be built on a strong base. i see a strong 10-12 team league for a long time.  Failure is not an option.

The league's built on a strong base, but it doesn't mean that teams will stick around if they see the writing on the wall.

Just because these owners are rich doesn't mean that they'll burn money indefinitely.

4 hours ago, HfxCeltic said:

He's also using revisionist history. He was never attacked for "suggesting that the league should assume attendance of around 3000 initially and that talk of 6000-8000 being the norm was overly optimistic." 

He was mainly attacked and still gets attacked for passing off his ardent opinions as fact when they are just opinions. 

You can ignore his posts whenever he presents himself as a victim. 

And the talk of MLS affiliates starts up again.  What did that take, 3-4 games each with some mixed results??  Can we at least wait until the spring season is over before we start writing off clubs and potential expansions in SK and PQ and fall back on MLS to save us with affiliates??  

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

And the talk of MLS affiliates starts up again.  What did that take, 3-4 games each with some mixed results??  Can we at least wait until the spring season is over before we start writing off clubs and potential expansions in SK and PQ and fall back on MLS to save us with affiliates??  

I'm glad I missed that.  If this league becomes an MLS affiliate, I'll lose all interest.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

No thanks to MLS affiliates.

The CPL has already proven they aren't needed. It would be self-sabotage to let them in.

The MLS teams wish they could put their B squads in this league. The USL has become a monstrosity and a joke with the MLS reserve squads.

Does the stadium TFC II used even have seating for fans?

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

September and October will be similar from that standpoint.

The difference with September and October is that these teams will have already had 4 months to establish a profile in their local markets, and rectify many of the things that weren't working early in the season. 

This is kind of how any new project tends to work.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Does York 9 even need seating for fans? ;);) 

I know this is supposed to be a joke, but ya. At least for a couple of thousand.

TFC II will be lucky to have fans in the 10s. That won't change if they join the CPL.

Edited by narduch

Posted (edited)

The MLS vs CanPL arguments don't seem to happen much when you move away from this forum given most soccer fans would either be happy to see Canadian teams succeed no matter what league they are in or would be equally dismissive of them in a eurosnob sort of way. York 9 got off to a weak start on crowds with this Canadian Championship game. OK, the opposition was a PLSQ team, but it's still their first ever official home game, so if there really were fewer than 1000 there that's really not good. Give it another month or so and we should have a reasonably clear picture of the shape of things to come in the short to medium term where York 9 are concerned. Regardless of what happens in the GTA, if Halifax turns out to be the poster child for the type of market that works well for this league, there is plenty of scope for expansion.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The MLS vs CanPL arguments don't seem to happen much when you move away from this forum given most soccer 

I'm not sure what you are rambling on about here. 

You seem to be the only person lobbying to add MLS reserves teams to the CPL. That would be a colossal mistake for the league at this point. 

Those teams were all failures in the USL. What makes you think they would fare better in the CPL

MLS reserve teams would devalue the CPL. 

I'm happy they aren't in the league

Edited by narduch

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The MLS vs CanPL arguments don't seem to happen much when you move away from this forum given most soccer fans would either be happy to see Canadian teams succeed no matter what league they are in or would be equally dismissive of them in a eurosnob sort of way.

Advocating for MLS Affiliate is the ultimate CPL vs MLS argument, you know full well the damage of such a scenario would do to the league... no MediaPro, no wealthy owners, not that level of sponsors and certainly no CSB.

You like acting dumb but you're effectively advocating for that scenario which makes you exactly what you're trying to accuse others of doing... Very hypocritical of you

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I'm not sure what you are rambling on about here. 

You seem to be the only person lobbying to add MLS reserves teams to the CPL. That would be a colossal mistake for the league at this point. 

Those teams were all failures in the USL. What makes you think they would fare better in the CPL

MLS reserve teams would devalue the CPL. 

I'm happy they aren't in the league

I'm not sure where all this reserve team is still coming from. The only MLS team that has is TFC and they've gone down a level. I can see them putting reserve teams in CPL 2 if it comes to fruitation down the road.

8 minutes ago, to70 said:

I'm not sure where all this reserve team is still coming from. The only MLS team that has is TFC and they've gone down a level. I can see them putting reserve teams in CPL 2 if it comes to fruitation down the road.

It's not happening. The league has been clear and consistently refused it.

Don't mind the one or two individuals dreaming of such shortsighted scenario