2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

It's hard to say for sure as new blocks of unsold seats have been showing up on Ticketmaster in the last few days, but if all the grey dots on TM today represent sold seats, Valour is at just over 4000 so far for this evening. It will be definitely be lower than their first two home crowds but not terrible for a cool-ish early spring match on a Thursday. 

3 hours ago, ted said:

That's a joke, right?!?!

A mid-week cup game, on a rainy night,  in a competition almost no casuals know about?

Our attendance was pretty good.

I agree, but a question: do you know why they brought in folks from Italy to install modular wooden stands with lovely roofs that only cover part of the stands, leaving a swath open to the rain?

I only noticed it by the way folks were sitting, in a line just covered by the roof in each case. 

Why the hell wouldn't they cover the whole stand they installed, it is really dumb, but only now I saw it.

Also: I think the final version of the "family" stand on the other end is slated to be covered fully, is that right?

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I agree, but a question: do you know why they brought in folks from Italy to install modular wooden stands with lovely roofs that only cover part of the stands, leaving a swath open to the rain?

I only noticed it by the way folks were sitting, in a line just covered by the roof in each case. 

Why the hell wouldn't they cover the whole stand they installed, it is really dumb, but only now I saw it.

Also: I think the final version of the "family" stand on the other end is slated to be covered fully, is that right?

Not sure if the roof covers all the seating or not, looks like it does. Wind is a factor so even if the roof covers all the seats the lower one's would be subject to wind blowing the rain on the lower rows at times.

3 hours ago, Lofty said:

Thu 16 May 2019 vs. Forge: 4,731

That implies that two out of every three seats in the sections being used were filled, which looks a bit dubious from the highlights. Suspect there were plenty of no shows among the season ticket base, so it could still be accurate on paid.

On 5/16/2019 at 2:48 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Canadian Championship

Pacific vs Cavalry 2294 {that looks generously announced from the highlights, maybe 1500 actually there?}

Vaughan vs Halifax 1200

Blainville vs York 9 no number yet

Not CPL (yet?) but Blainville announced 1500 at the game. It was a fun stadium experience overall.

19 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

do you know why they brought in folks from Italy to install modular wooden stands with lovely roofs that only cover part of the stands, leaving a swath open to the rain?

[snip]

I believe the "family" stand is supposed to get a roof when they actually build it in the second phase which would include moving the hydro pole and building stands on the north side. Right now the tow "end zones" are temporary bleachers, not a proper stand.

As for the partial roof, my opinion (ie I have not talked to anyone about this) is that the design had to go through Mayor Stewie and his team, and they didn't want to pay for or juts didn't like, a full roof that would actually cover those seats.

To be fair, the first 3-10 rows in ANY stadium are usually exposed to the rain at least part of the time.

^ Was decent up on the northern side of the stand.  The upper rows of my section didn't sell for season passes but were still maybe a little less than half occupied so overall, 2/3 fullish in 104?  To our left 105 is solid and the sections between us and the supporters sections sparser.   People are starting to migrate into those sections from other sections I think though, but that's a ballon effect.  Squeeze here, expand there sort of thing.

Would have thought 4 grand and change myself but again, hard to tell what's going on elsewhere in the stadium.

Problem with IGF is everyone knows there'll always be able to get tickets which creates more of an impulse market than a season ticket/pack market.  On the plus side that means the potential (very real potential) for some big turn outs is there but on the negative side I think it also decreases your base somewhat.    

5 hours ago, Lofty said:

What it could look like: will the CPL Champions celebrate like this? 😄 Great vlog!

(This one is especially for @JamboAl).

Thank you my friend.  I never experienced a pitch invasion (a happy one that is) watching Charlton when I lived in London; made me so happy watching it last night.  I would think that Canadians are too polite and law abiding to do this.  

6 hours ago, Lofty said:

What it could look like: will the CPL Champions celebrate like this? 😄 Great vlog!

(This one is especially for @JamboAl).

Promotion and relegation is what gives you this.

I've seen them and been on the pitch in lower league playoff rounds, I recall once a preliminary round, not even final round, to go from 4th to 3rd that ended in a penalty shootout--but these were all rather small stadiums with no real security between fans and the field. I go to a lot of games where kids jump on the field at half time to play, the delegates try to keep them off but it's useless.

I honestly think that pro-releg does creates more tension than the simple fact of winning or losing. You can lose a match at home, your rival loses too and you do not relegate after all--and pitch invasion!!

We`'ve all seen images of players being stripped naked on the field by happy fans.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Thank you my friend.  I never experienced a pitch invasion (a happy one that is) watching Charlton when I lived in London; made me so happy watching it last night.  I would think that Canadians are too polite and law abiding to do this.  

It used to happen from what I've seen. Fans invaded the field after the Jays won the 1985 AL East pennant, and of course the pitch looked like a great time in St. John's after Canada qualified for the 1986 World Cup. Security was naturally much more lax back then, and King George V Park doesn't exactly look like a fortress for separating fans from the playing surface.

51 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

DH-C-uH8lJ1d8NxcilOYqR8RA498UcK2aiZRQpizvFGC3l8dWQhk-yZNxpdb5eZzYZgp8dyTUxnbmZWVniCQ_B0oQn4UB6s_EOvzKYAUkT97zIn0Asg_wHSKE8LeJjzoSPugQxEhwhW1Zp0tKI5Ibcj8lQ7-LnI_6rbuW97_pHgr_bOiftM18RvOMSPt6Cj89LhWO_Yl82HDNPxKA989xSsye7ntg2VCwcVfHrMfsJBV9ujKKJoylZb8J0ciZhF66BfB7pX4ymfnLLTIWnM4fiyXxR1CM9OassnpkHrN18DzKKY-T6Zu7NSlpdVX29xqPnzCsiMV2Net7eVbXgnHFpz8l62APjV_wyXWHFxhzI7mZiWX9ZzC5ukBnxWIB_nGBopiflnDSFaZ_2sUnJoo8h6uj10BhKTdOjHW_84e03GogXyUy-Ns3P71CkVFVNu1rhaPG8p4okOn14k9KoP56JchUdsR5qkL4x-1yJI_NKUzdNlc6BV-JgxPACLjV_hv_ZTyyhm4-UgtxN360AtEVlvcu-c5os4pszKoCjaKrHY_RMnnxnWYFeX61PnE6WIMWDYBgT-tiIlPFOVd_umykbq8hXnnXVA3DY1R9uI3ESIEVdo50zY7a_MVp8Qm4X7r-s5WZ8wAcHjgCDHqwJ2zyATf_39OtR-l=w689-h918-no

Oh wow.  Your section got a much harsher notice.  Ours was in black ink and didn't mention the police.  We think the smoke that was tossed on the pitch last Saturday game from one or two sections over from 144.  What section are you guys again?

^ We're in 104.   Like I wrote before I don't think there are even 20 season pass holders in the top 14 rows so most everyone who fills up that part of the section will be day tickets.  Got to keep a sharp eye on the tourists!

Ha!  Never mind the tourists, just look at that hooli.  Trouble maker if there ever was one. Just ask my Mum.