2018 Voyageurs #CanMNT Player of the Year

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

I do respect your privacy suggestion on their own personal votes, however I strongly disagree with your "campaigning" post or people not allowed to voice their personal opinion. 

Almost every major league in NA, there are countless articles and interviews by voters and non voters  (journalists, bloggers, executives)  who discussed who they voted for, who they feel should be #1, and stated their personal opinions why.  

I think we should have a thread dedicated to the voting and have another one for people who want to discuss their opinion regarding their choices and who disagree with others.

The ImpactSoccer forum have something similar with a specific thread for a MOTM vote after each game and a general thread for discussion purposes regarding the MOTM.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, half the fun is the mouthing of opinions.  Everybody weighs their PoY based on their own formulas.  By that I mean club play vs internationals, not to mention the strategic voting which happens every year as the race begins to show its trends along with of course our own personal biases.  Keep it all together for maximum effect.

Nope.  In my humble opinion we don't need  separate topics for voting and for discussing the vote.  What we really need is a looong stretch of counter top, a good rack or 8 or 10 beer taps strategically placed and some back ground music.  The back ground music being necessary to provide a polite excuse for all the shouting we would/should be doing at each other. 

So bottoms up.  Here's to all the monkeys who think Borjan, who has had to do exactly the square root of sweet fu'k all during his international appearances in 2018, should be our Canadian International Player of the Year.

Aaaand... duck!     

Is there also an award for Canadian Player of the Year separate and apart how well a player did for the national team?  If not, perhaps there needs to be one so that players with great club from can be fully recognized separate and apart from who the top international player of the year is. Failing that, just acknowledge that international player of the year also includes club form as that's what most people already seem to be doing anyways.  ?

take care,
romurra

On 12/4/2018 at 11:10 PM, romurra said:

Is there also an award for Canadian Player of the Year separate and apart how well a player did for the national team?  If not, perhaps there needs to be one so that players with great club from can be fully recognized separate and apart from who the top international player of the year is. Failing that, just acknowledge that international player of the year also includes club form as that's what most people already seem to be doing anyways.  ?

take care,
romurra

Traditionally, the vote for this award tends to see people balance club and NT performance, but technically the only criteria as far as I know is that they need to have played for the national team in the calendar year.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

1) Davies

2) Hoilett 

3) Cavallini

I really dont get the Osorio thing

Winning the Canadian Championship and making it to the Champions League finals and finishing joint top scorer in both competitions and having a career year in MLS Scoring 10 goals and 7 assists and earning a TAM contract making him the 4th highest paid Canadian may explain it....

1. Osorio

2. Davies

3. Hutchinson

This was by far the hardest vote I’ve had to make, there are guys who aren’t in my top 3 who could easily be #1 like Hoilett and Borjan.  Ultimately I went for the guys who played well for Canada and their club in the matches that mattered.  Hutchinson popping up with the header and MotM performance in St Kitts puts him on.  These 3 were very consistent all year. 

3 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I'm dissapointed with the lack of votes for Arfield 

He played 1 match with us. He missed around 4 months this year because of a calf injury. That's why I didn't vote for him. I don't think it means I think any less about the player, but I'm going on this year alone and we've had players with great years also. If Arfield didn't get injured in early February, he would have gotten more votes. 

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

1. Osorio

2. Davies

3. Hutchinson

This was by far the hardest vote I’ve had to make, there are guys who aren’t in my top 3 who could easily be #1 like Hoilett and Borjan.  Ultimately I went for the guys who played well for Canada and their club in the matches that mattered.  Hutchinson popping up with the header and MotM performance in St Kitts puts him on.  These 3 were very consistent all year. 

I think this will be a tough vote for the foreseeable future, unless Davies absolutely takes off with Bayern.

Next year should also be a more interesting vote from a NT perspective, with the inaugural nations league kicking off, along with it being a GC year. 

1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I'm dissapointed with the lack of votes for Arfield 

Strangely, he also had a bad game vs the U.S. Virgin Islands.

On 12/29/2018 at 6:21 PM, SpursFlu said:

really dont get the Osorio thing

Me too. Just as good for Canada this year as Piette, and Piette had an arguably better 2018 season.

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

Winning the Canadian Championship and making it to the Champions League finals and finishing joint top scorer in both competitions and having a career year in MLS Scoring 10 goals and 7 assists and earning a TAM contract making him the 4th highest paid Canadian may explain it....

Don't forget the George Goss trophy and being named to the CONCACAF XI! 

14 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Me too. Just as good for Canada this year as Piette, and Piette had an arguably better 2018 season.

Across all competitions?  Even in MLS Osorio and Davies were the clear cut top Canadians imo.. after them I’d say Piette and MAK were great as well, but the other two had pretty historic years. 

1. Borjan

2. Cavallini

3. Osorio

Honourable mention to Scotty Arfield for being such a critical piece of Rangers’ season so far.

Had Milan not had such an excellent 2018 I’d have gone Lucas first. Cavallini’s been stellar in LigaMX. 

I’m so excited for CanMNT’s 2019 outlook. We have an exciting Nations League match to start followed by tons of potential for the Gold Cup followed by the first matches in Nations League A. 

Archived