2018 Voyageurs #CanMNT Player of the Year

The deadline for submissions is 12:01 AM (Pacific) January 1st, New Years Day 2019.
Submissions for PoY must have a first place, second place, and third place selection.
A point system is used to calculate a players points total at the completion of polling.
A player will receive 5 points for a 1st place selection, 3 points for a 2nd place selection, and 1 point for a third place selection.
The player with the highest final aggregate total will be declared the Voyageurs International Player of the Year.
Only one submission per IP address. Additional submissions from the same IP address allowed entirely at the Administrators discretion.
For a player to be eligible for the Voyageurs International Player of the Year the player must have been selected for international duty at the senior level in 2018 and be eligible to play for Canada, in accordance with FIFA laws & statutes.

Start your voting!

Reminder: We played 4 games this year. 1 friendly and 3 CONCACAF Nations League.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men's_national_soccer_team_results

EDIT: The primary consideration is #CanMNT performance but you may include (U23, U20, U17 or club games in your judgement).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Milan Borjan. Excellent play in Champions League. In my opinion, it's not even close. Due respect to Hutch, but Milan is our best player now.

2. Jonathan Osorio. He had a career year. Regularly scored clutch goals from midfield for his club. Matured into a leader. Earned a spot on our starting 11.

3.  Lucas Cavallini. Goals for club and country. A reliable striker, finally.  

This will be a tough one to decide, perhaps the toughest. So many deserving players this year.

1. Osorio 

Canada: 1G 2A 3GP

Club: CCL final. CCL golden boot. Voyageur's cup champ and joint top scorer. 7A 10G MLS (17G all comp.)

2. Davies

Canada: 0G 4A 3GP

Club: MLS Allstar. 8G 11A MLS. Record transfer to Bayern Munich.

3. Cavallini

Canada: 3G 0A 3GP

Club: led Puebla in Liga MX scoring.

Honorable mentions:

Atiba (captained Besiktas to round of 16 in UCL/Canada: 2GP 1G)

Hoilett (won promotion to EPL/Canada 3GP 2G)

Borjan (won Serbian league, played in EL knock out round & beat Liverpool in CL/Canada 2GP 2SO)

Even with 3 honorable mentions, I still feel Arfield, David and Larin deserve some recognition as well. Arfield played in the EPL and now has 5 league goals in the SPL. David has scored 6 goals for Gent, and Larin moved to Besiktas and has scored goals there too, although his recent form leaves a lot to be desired.

Isn't it great that a Canadian player emerged as a star in our continental league, played well for Canada, and transferred to what is historically the best team in one of the best leagues in the entire world and half of us are trying to decide if he squeaked into Canada's top-three for the year or not. It's truly a magical time to be a Voyageur.

1. Hutchinson, shocked he hasn't gotten any votes. This vote is for the year of 2018, so it has been a bit, but he was the first Canadian on a long time to play in the knockout round of the champions league. He was also one of our best players against St. Kitts.

2. Hoilett, helped his team gain promotion to the Premier League and consistently one of our top players.

3. Borjan, couldn't be better domestically. If he played in a more recognizable league we would appreciate him even more and kept three clean sheets for us.

Was a tough decision, considered Osorio, Arfield, Davies, Piette, Cavallini, or even Kaye if he hadn't gotten hurt.

With Nations League and Gold Cup we will have a minimum of 8 games next year so it will be exciting how this turns out next year.

It is genuinely tough to choose our best this year.  Cav did great in Liga MX, Osorio did great all year, Hutch and Borjan were playing (well) in the most prestigious club competition in the world, and Davies got a transfer to a global footy giant after being really solid for the Caps.  And that isn't even getting into Arfield or Hoilett.  Geez...

i guess I would go with 

1.  Borjan

2.  Osorio

3.  Cav

(Though I may come back and edit this...)

Can we do two things here.

1.  Organize this in the Voyageurs Forum and set it up for both Men and Women and top Youth Player Perhaps?

2. Get a final list of x number of players and vote in a poll.

Can someone organize this?  I am in the middle of moving.  Olympique? 

Just now, admin said:

Is that better vs a Poll here? 

I would like to keep this internal as per only members in the future will be able to vote.

You're right. 

I just don't know if it's possible to rank style vote. Is it? 

Externally we would have to use some thing like a Vlookup to ensure people who are voting match with there actual member name. 

12 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

You're right. 

I just don't know if it's possible to rank style vote. Is it? 

Externally we would have to use some thing like a Vlookup to ensure people who are voting match with there actual member name. 

Hmmm. Yeah. hadn't thought that far ahead.

Let me look at the options when I get to a computer tonight.

On December 1, 2018 at 10:38 AM, admin said:

Can we do two things here.

1.  Organize this in the Voyageurs Forum and set it up for both Men and Women and top Youth Player Perhaps?

2. Get a final list of x number of players and vote in a poll.

Can someone organize this?  I am in the middle of moving.  Olympique? 

The idea of doing it this way is that points are allocated based on one's top 3 choices.  Is it possible to do that on a poll? 

Archived