The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Just now, Obinna said:

No offense, but it seems like projection to think that is a dumb thing to post.

I get the joke, but you have to see how this is a bit dumb, right?  Immediately before a huge game, he is basically saying he is under-appreciated and he is implying that his absence leaves a huge hole in the team.  One or both of those things may be true, but it is dumb to say it to 4 million people right before your teammates play a huge game. 

4 minutes ago, frmr said:

In the context that there was absolutely nothing behind it other than we're going to miss Davies this game? Can anyone honestly say that we won't?

Have you played on a team before where the best player missed a game and said to the rest of the team essentially ‘good luck without me’.  Not a morale booster.

I’m hopeful he is referring to BM calling him back.

Edited by trc2014

Just now, trc2014 said:

Have you played on a team before where the best player missed a game and said to the rest of the team essentially ‘good luck without me’.  Not a moral booster.

I’m hopeful he is referring to BM calling him back.

Honestly that would be a morale booster because I would be motivated to prove him wrong, and I hope the team do. Big brain move by Phonzie.

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

In the context that there was absolutely nothing behind it other than we're going to miss Davies this game? Can anyone honestly say that we won't?

1. Everyone realizes how big a part he plays...no one argues that he isnt by far the most important player on this team. 

2. Even if they didn't, it's a bizarre thing to post before the match. Almost like he's hoping they lose so we realize how much we miss him?

Hopefully there is a much more innocent explanation to all this but it isnt a great look IMO

1 minute ago, trc2014 said:

I’m going to assume you are kidding.

Not even remotely.

edit: the big brain part, yes I'm kidding. but it would 100% motivate me, as I'm sure it would any competitor

Edited by frmr

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

1. Everyone realizes how big a part he plays...no one argues that he isnt by far the most important player on this team. 

2. Even if they didn't, it's a bizarre thing to post before the match. Almost like he's hoping they lose so we realize how much we miss him?

Hopefully there is a much more innocent explanation to all this but it isnt a great look IMO

It's like he's hoping we lose?!?!? Holy shit you guys. Let's all take a time out on this one.

6 minutes ago, johnyb said:

In what context would this not be a dumb thing to post?

In the context it has to do with Bayern and not Canada.

Even if he's referencing Canada, there's nothing to suggest there's a rift (unless Ollie knows something we don't).

Ollie's job is to drum up attention, and it certainly has worked in this case, one way or another. 

4 minutes ago, frmr said:

It's like he's hoping we lose?!?!? Holy shit you guys. Let's all take a time out on this one.

I'm not saying he hopes we lose. I'm saying the comment reads that way. Again, hopefully there is a different and totally innocent explanation. Perhaps this was poorly worded and he didn't intend for this comment to come off this way

Edited by Floortom

2 minutes ago, grigorio said:

This sounds like you went to the school of negging

Ever heard of bulletin board material?

Just now, trc2014 said:

If you think we are overreacting I’d be scared for you to see how JH is reacting to this right now haha

Yeah, if there is something behind it, Herdman will take care of it. I have no doubt about that. And also, I highly doubt that the rest of our players have the kind of mentality that something like that would ruin their morale. These are high level athletes who took Mexico to the finish line without Davies, David, Larin, etc. If you think a social media post is going to put their tail between their legs, then I would suggest you're highly underestimating their collective mentality. If Phonzie meant something negative by that post then that's going to be his own problem but I'm not ready to jump to that conclusion.