The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

43 minutes ago, GasPed said:

From Bavarian Football Works (as of 8:45 AM EST):

image.png.77ebe45b6f045d6c55d30d7c870bc860.png

Definition: Davies injury on international duty 

Webster’s:
1. a handy way to get him home to his Munich overlords without giving the Impression he’s leaving his teammates in the lurch

2 a way to ensure he’s in his lederhosen for the official Bayern octoberfest photo shoot 

To be fair, if he had a knock I don't think he should have been playing anyways and it's going to be long road with Davies and Bayern, we need to be flexible and maintain a positive relationship with them. I'm sure Davies would have wanted to stay with the team but this is only the beginning of a long journey, we need to take a balanced and pragmatic approach to how we manage his involvement with the national team and making sure he's ready to perform for Bayern.

Edited by frmr

1 minute ago, BigMo said:

Best case scenario, he thought he could play through the knock and Herdman thought depth would be fine.

Still a dumb thing to publish hours before a crucial qualifier. 

That makes two questionable decisions when paired with the hey here's me, Tajon, and David at a Jays game before the Honduras match. Coincidentally, all three of them had average to sub-par performances the next day. 

Just now, frmr said:

I'm not really seeing anything terribly controversial about that. I mean he is our best player and I'm sure he knows it. I doubt there's really anything behind this other than him being a little cocky.

It’s literally the opposite mantra that JH is projecting that no one is bigger than the team.  And to release this literally hours before a huge game is odd.

3 minutes ago, grigorio said:

That makes two questionable decisions when paired with the hey here's me, Tajon, and David at a Jays game before the Honduras match. Coincidentally, all three of them had average to sub-par performances the next day. 

Honestly had no problem with that, not exactly a crazy night out, and they're all young guys who havent been in Canada for a while.

This though, is bizarre. 

I'm going to take the glass half-full interpretation - Davies didn't want to go back to Germany - even though he had the knock, he wanted to stay with the team and support/represent.  But Bayern pushed and CMNT said "Phonzie you better go back or they won't let you come play anymore", so reluctantly he headed back home.  But he's disappointed and that's why he tweeted.  At least that's the glass half-full story.  😉