The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

I like others hope Davies can learn from two of the best wing players of their generation, Robben and Ribery. However, this article indicates they might be upset/frustrated with a diminished role. Hopefully they are gracious and helpful to phonzie and not negative and vindictive! Although competition will/should always be there, I wonder how much "Robbery" can be teachers/role models?

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2018/9/3/17813314/bayern-munich-robben-ribery-frustrated-substitution-niko-kovac-kingsley-coman-james-gnabry-davies

I think the element of surprise will help Davies as well.. teams won’t be keying in on Alphonso as they did this past year in MLS.  Bless the kid but at times he was going 1 v 3 in MLS.

At Bayern he’s going to be able to relish the support player role at first.  I really think he has the talent and physical level to play at the next level at this point he just needs to perform when he gets the chance.  He rose to certain occasions in MLS but there are also times he’s disappeared for example against TFC I don’t think he ever had a good game.  Does that mean anything?  Is there a formula to stop the Phonz or is he his own worst enemy?  Can he adapt to different defences or will he only be effective in certain matches? In games we’ve seen him dominate it seems to just take one moment for him to fire it up and the confidence takes him places.. in the games against TFC he was shut down early and often and never got going.  

Any team that tries to play an open game against Phonzie has paid the price, but he won't see much of that with Bayern. We'll see whether he can adapt to a side that has to break down an established defense. Vancouver has never done much of that. 

26 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

Any team that tries to play an open game against Phonzie has paid the price, but he won't see much of that with Bayern. We'll see whether he can adapt to a side that has to break down an established defense. Vancouver has never done much of that. 

Admittedly, Davies doesn't seem as devistating against a bunkering team forcing you to create in tight space, but he is still well above average in this regard for a 17 year old playing against men, at least in MLS.

Whether his ability to create in tight space is good enough right now for Bayern remains to be seen, but let's not overlook the fact players can improve their game, especially teenagers.

Edited by Obinna

22 hours ago, villus said:

Robben, Ribery and Gnabry are all very good players with pedigree at the top level.  I think Davies will have every opportunity to get playing time and Kovac really likes players with a profile like Davies.  Its crazy that Davies is still so young but will be competiting with world cup and Champions league winners.  I do think that bringing him along slowly and getting the chance to train and adapt without the pressure of games for the first few months is a good thing.  

Considering Alphonso is 17 years younger than both Robben and Ribery I think it's in the clubs best interest to start transitioning into a new era. Yes they're both world class and will provide competition for Davies, but not like we would see if he was going to a club with established wingers on the good side of 30. So based on his managers backing and the current roster I expect to see him making appearances in January--- I agree with your statement on his time to settle without the pressure of the games....does anyone know if Mom or Dad are going over to Germany with him to help him settle? 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Admittedly, Davies doesn't seem as devistating against a bunkering team forcing you to create in tight space, but he is still well above average in this regard for a 17 year old playing against men, at least in MLS.

Whether his ability to create in tight space is good enough right now for Bayern remains to be seen, but let's not overlook the fact players can improve their game, especially teenagers.

I definitely think he'll up his game tactically and learn the team attacking craft more at this big time club (hopefully).  I think he's smart enough to change his game as needed.

I don't mind if Bayern only give him bench minutes or even if they send him to reserves. Davies has always been put at lower levels based on his age. He barely spent half a season in USL before he forced his way into the first team. Let him fight his way up again if he must, I don't doubt his ability to carve out his own career.

16 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I like others hope Davies can learn from two of the best wing players of their generation, Robben and Ribery. However, this article indicates they might be upset/frustrated with a diminished role. Hopefully they are gracious and helpful to phonzie and not negative and vindictive! Although competition will/should always be there, I wonder how much "Robbery" can be teachers/role models?

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2018/9/3/17813314/bayern-munich-robben-ribery-frustrated-substitution-niko-kovac-kingsley-coman-james-gnabry-davies

These guys are top competitors, and I wouldn't expect anything less than wanting to be on the field at all times.  But Riberry is 35 and Robben is 34 - at that age, even the most passionate player has to accept that dusk is coming at some point.   And even if they are not fatherly mentors to Davies, he will still be able to learn a ton from them.  Working with them in practice on a daily basis will only help.  And some substitution opportunities are pretty much a given.  And from Bayern's perspective, it is probably a pretty safe gamble.  Davies is a guy that can create on the counter, beat tired defenders for speed, and has some defensive experience (and pace) to help see out a game where they are leading.  At the risk of peering through my rose coloured glasses, that seems like an ideal situation for both Davies and Bayern.

I do agree that it would be great if these two vets would intentionally assist in his development, but as long as they don't actively try to sabotage him I think it will be fine.  And no coach/team would allow two near-retirees to torpedo a young player that they invested in significantly.

I am just rewatching the Portland game again, and it amazes me how many chances Davies creates. With better teammates he will be even more effective. He set up both Reyna and Tiebert for clear cut opportunities just in the first half. If it had been a Bayern player it would likely End in a goal.

Even at moments which don’t seem dangerous he will be better. There was several times he went for a give and go trying to break down the defence but his teammates couldn’t return the ball. I think he is better at breaking down a defensive side than people give him credit for, but he really doesn’t have any teammates to help him. His main teammates aren’t neat passers; they can make regular passes, but not quick offensive flowing movements.

That extra couple months to train with his teammates at Bayern will really help. I think we will see some brand new abilities come to the forefront at Bayern just because of playing with better players. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Just saw a highlight package including Davies getting subbed off. The interaction with Waston didn't look particularly noteworthy.

He (Waston) gave him a couple of taps on the rear and then a tap in the front (where the sun don't shine.)?. Just found the front tap a little strange.

Look who finds themselves front and centre on Football Daily?

I don't know how many of you watch this show (I tune in regularly), but for those familar, you'll know it's pretty popular, so it's great to finally see Davies come on their radar. I knew it would only be a matter of time :)

Somewhat suprising, Miguel Almiron also made their list for this video.

I say that because I would describe FD and their spinoffs as largely eurocentric, so for not one, but two MLS players to get mentioned in the same video is great!