Pacific FC Launch / 2019 off season thread

4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I haven't heard a peep from Langford since the club was announced. I imagined them being more invested in this project.

The Mayor came to the coach announcement and spoke. They are very invested and concentrating on the renovations to the stadium. What else do you think the mayor of the host municipality should be doing?!?

Just now, ted said:

The Mayor came to the coach announcement and spoke. They are very invested and concentrating on the renovations to the stadium. What else do you think the mayor of the host municipality should be doing?!?

Don't get me wrong, I give him 10/10 for vision. He has it, he has proven it. Now he needs someone to help him channel it better, as he is a maverick with the pros and cons of that tag along for the ride.

I was just very surprised and a bit stunned when I visited the site last July.

11 hours ago, ted said:

What else do you think the host municipality should be doing?!?

Anything really. Announce plans for stadium renovations.

Announce plans for parking.

Announce plans for transit.

Engage locals. Facilitate community involvement, and local partnerships.

Advertize at the stadium, in the paper, on the radio, tv...

There are plenty of things that they could and should be doing a better job of.

8 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Sure, but Is that all up to a mayor? Methinks he has other stuff to do. 

17 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Sure, but Is that all up to a mayor? Methinks he has other stuff to do. 

When did I ever say mayor? Surely there are other people involved in this. If that much money is being invested in stadium renovations, I imagine there would be plans in place to ensure its success. We haven't heard anything about those plans.

Edited by Aird25

8 hours ago, Aird25 said:

When did I ever say mayor? Surely there are other people involved in this. If that much money is being invested in stadium renovations, I imagine there would be plans in place to ensure its success. We haven't heard anything about those plans.

The comment you were replying to was asking about the municipality though, not the club itself. These points you made seem very much like the responsibility of the club.

I have to agree that despite some good media when Michael S was announced, the public buildup has been underwhelming. As a member, I still have received no messages or news directly from the club since the confirmation of membership. This even though there has been an online contest or two and the coaching announcement. This suggests to me that they are not very organized and strategic PR wise--don't think to promote across all platforms, etc.  Instead, we get twitter selfies of the owners golfing at Bear Mountain (which has a sketchy and infamous pro-sports history of its own). As a member and someone who wants Canpl (and by extension Canadian soccer generally) to succeed, I want to see Josh and Rob out in public pumping up the club and hear updates from them over email about the stadium, about staff hires, etc. Reassure me you're working hard to make this a success and not just hobnobbing on the links. 

Incidentally, notice that they are Facetiming Will Johnson in that selfie. I'd like to think they are dropping a hint, but I doubt it. 

Wouldnt mind the golfing photo if there was more visible progress with the club. Otherwise it seems tone-deaf to me. If I want lifestyles of the rich and semi-famous, I'll watch American TV. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/DeanShillington/status/1035339694190419968/photo/1

10 hours ago, Aird25 said:

They did announce the plans with some lovely renderings. Stadium renovations are proceeding. There is nothing more to say.

Changes to parking are included in the renovations mentioned above.

"Engage locals" is up to the club. The municipality is not the PR department for the team.

Advertising at the stadium and anywhere else is also the responsibility of the team.

You seem to be confusing the role of landlord and tenant in this transaction. Langford is the landlord, PFC is the tenant.

8 hours ago, shorty said:

I have to agree that despite some good media when Michael S was announced, the public buildup has been underwhelming. As a member, I still have received no messages or news directly from the club since the confirmation of membership. This even though there has been an online contest or two and the coaching announcement. This suggests to me that they are not very organized and strategic PR wise--don't think to promote across all platforms, etc.  Instead, we get twitter selfies of the owners golfing at Bear Mountain (which has a sketchy and infamous pro-sports history of its own). As a member and someone who wants Canpl (and by extension Canadian soccer generally) to succeed, I want to see Josh and Rob out in public pumping up the club and hear updates from them over email about the stadium, about staff hires, etc. Reassure me you're working hard to make this a success and not just hobnobbing on the links. 

Incidentally, notice that they are Facetiming Will Johnson in that selfie. I'd like to think they are dropping a hint, but I doubt it. 

Wouldnt mind the golfing photo if there was more visible progress with the club. Otherwise it seems tone-deaf to me. If I want lifestyles of the rich and semi-famous, I'll watch American TV. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/DeanShillington/status/1035339694190419968/photo/1

They're too busy working on the Fraser Valley team they dream of to worry about Pacific FC.

Been wearing various of my CPL shirts, and these days got a bit of a reaction with the logo on the Pacific shirt, which a friend picked up for me at the launch. A few people asking.

Black, with the tiny logo of the supposed fir tree. I think that maybe it looks like something from a music label producing techno or something, I don' t know. so there is something there to work with, for sure.

I consider the ForgeFC shirt I have much nicer, it is the hammer on grey with the orange spark, very nice. Also a nice cotton, have to say. But no one has asked, as they haven't for Halifax or Calgary either.

“But we don’t just want to sell sponsorship packages. We want to create true partnerships with people who are on the island so those partners feel they’re a part of a club every night and they have great activation programs and aren’t just giving us money to throw up a sign. We want them to be real partners with us.”

Interesting quote. Has there been any indication that this is more than just rhetoric? I hope so

Edited by Aird25

16 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

“But we don’t just want to sell sponsorship packages. We want to create true partnerships with people who are on the island so those partners feel they’re a part of a club every night and they have great activation programs and aren’t just giving us money to throw up a sign. We want them to be real partners with us.”

Interesting quote. Has there been any indication that this is more than just rhetoric? I hope so

I don't think there's really been a chance for it to be more then rhetoric yet. This is just getting off the ground.