Pacific FC Launch / 2019 off season thread

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I asked this on the wrong thread and was reminded to post here: what did the Highlanders draw on average this year, where can I see attendance numbers? I am just trying to gauge what sort of core soccer support there may be in Victoria. 

The stats up to 2016 are on wikipedia 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Highlanders#Average_attendance

Might want to ask @ted how accurate they look, may just be the classic "distributed" ticket figure 

3 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Might want to ask @ted how accurate they look, may just be the classic "distributed" ticket figure 

Someone said, probably @ted that numbers for Highlanders were up this past season. 

It seems to me that if Highlanders can draw a thousand out at Centennial, the projected numbers for Pacific FC should also be strong. Perhaps not 6000 but over 3000. 

On 9/12/2018 at 3:23 PM, Complete Homer said:

I'd say those numbers look reasonable with the usual "inflation" for distributed tickets versus bums in seats. I'd say that if you had counted bums in seats the numbers would be 80-90% of the numbers reported at the least.

I have no hard numbers but I am sure they have been rising year over year since 2016. Not hugely, but heading upwards. 

1 hour ago, shorty said:

Wow. Had no idea such a position existed. The fact that it is not only necessary but a position worthy of a directorship speaks volumes about the challenges of establishing pro soccer in Canada, doesn't it?

LOL

I think you confuse "Director of X" with membership on a board of directors or something. It is simply a way to make a job sound more important without paying anything more. ie. instead of giving the janitor a big raise, you give him a tiny raise but change his job title to "Director of Maintenance". 

So I don't know what "volumes" you speak of, but any business operating in multiple provinces has to have someone responsible for this.

2 hours ago, shorty said:

Wow. Had no idea such a position existed. The fact that it is not only necessary but a position worthy of a directorship speaks volumes about the challenges of establishing pro soccer in Canada, doesn't it?

I think you are right.  A country this big with a league that spread out is going to have a lot of challenges.

17 hours ago, C2SKI said:

It doesn’t look like Silberbauer has made the trials in Halifax. Will he join the club after the Swiss league finishes?

I would certainly hope that in the teams inaugural year that they wouldn't be waiting until next May for their manager to arrive.