Pacific FC Launch / 2019 off season thread

Silberbauer will be joined on the touchline by assistant coach James Merriman, a Canadian coach who last worked as the head coach of the Vancouver Whitecaps Under-15 Residency team. He previously worked as the assistant coach of the Simon Fraser University men’s soccer NCAA Division II program in 2012 and 2013, as well as the assistant coach at Vancouver Island University from 2009 to 2011.

“He understands the Canadian game and the local, regional market here,” said Josh Simpson, President Pacific FC. “He’s got a great network of young players that he’s coached … He understands the Canadian mentality, the Canadian game, and he’s got a great network, so it really balances out.”

3 minutes ago, Big_M said:

A foreigner with apparently no head coaching experience at the pro level..disappointing

He has a few years of coaching experience in Denmark, which is more than many former professional players who transition to managerial positions at the pro level.

Over 400 professional caps, as well as experience in Champions League and the European Championship is more than enough to qualify for the job. That kind of experience is, in JDG's words, "a Ph.D. in soccer" all on its own.

1 hour ago, Zem said:

He has a few years of coaching experience in Denmark, which is more than many former professional players who transition to managerial positions at the pro level.

Over 400 professional caps, as well as experience in Champions League and the European Championship is more than enough to qualify for the job. That kind of experience is, in JDG's words, "a Ph.D. in soccer" all on its own.

I remember Silberbauer from his time playing with Atiba at FCK.  He was a great player.. a consistent starter/star along Hutch.

So I’m guessing Hutchinson had a lot to do with this move and helping out some former teammates in Simpson, Friend and Silberbauer.  Also explains why Hutch gave the team a shout out.  Hutch to Pacific FC? 

I think it’s the best signing yet in CPL.  A young up and comer who is getting his first shot before he becomes too expensive.. let’s be real if he was already a head coach in Switzerland he would be out of reach.

very smart move.

I haven't finished reading the second link, but regarding what brought him here, it wasn't Hutch, although he gets a shout out in the second link.

http://canpl.ca/article/michael-silberbauer-announced-as-head-coach-of-pacific-fc

"Silberbauer, who last worked as the assistant coach at Swiss side FC Luzern, also played alongside Pacific FC President Josh Simpson at Swiss club BSC Young Boys."

http://canpl.ca/video/twist-of-fate-led-pacific-fc-coach-michael-silberbauer-to-seek-cpl-opportunity

"After finishing his playing career with Swiss 2nd-division outfit FC Biel-Bienne, the midfielder joined the team’s staff as an assistant coach. Silberbauer assumed a similar role with Swiss Super League side FC Luzern this year before learning of a movement in Canada.

“A unique opportunity came along to be a part of something — finding new Canadian talent and making it better and helping these young Canadians make it,” he said.

“That was something that really spoke to me. I asked Josh for an interview and it went from there.” "

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but it appears that Silberbauer is still under contract with FC Luzern and won't officially be a Pacific FC employee until Jan. 1, 2019. 

I don't think that will be a huge issue. He can watch tape on Canadians like everyone else and Friend and Simpson should have some input on the Canadian content as well. Silberbauer will have less knowledge of the Canadian talent pool compared to the other CPL head coaches, but he should have more active contacts in Europe and a lot of knowledge of what's out there in Switzerland and probably Denmark. Positives and negatives, but I also feel like more time with Luzern will only help him grow as a coach.

http://juneof86.com/2018/08/20/silberbauer-brings-passion-for-development-to-the-island/

cheers, matthew

Edited by matthew

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

A foreigner with apparently no head coaching experience at the pro level..disappointing

Pretty sure most leagues have at least a few foreign coaches. This guy 4 seasons of coaching experience following a pro career that saw him play in Denmark, the Netherlands and Switzerland's top flights and earn 25 caps for Denmark (was also a squad inclusion for Euro 2012). If you're hiring a foreign coach looking for their first head coaching gig this is the type of guy you want especially if you're trying to send the image of seriousness about soccer. 

Silberbauer was interviewed this morning by David Lenham for CBCs On the Island. Not a whole lot new from yesterday's announcement (hooked on coaching from Young Boys U21 experience, wants to play a style that reflects island character but has to match the roster's skill set...).  At the end though Lenham asked him who his favourite Danish player was, Schmeikel, Laudrup, or Erickson.  He said that Laudrup was great, but also (in a not braggy or name-droppy way at all) he said that he played with Erickson and that he's a "good lad". It struck me a) that this was good press to widen the awareness of CPL beyond current Canmnt fans, and b) that he came off well and that there are many Victorian soccer fans who would have been underwhelmed with Nash (unfortunately) but who will be impressed at Silberbauer's Euro credentials, including connections to a current World Cup star they've just seen on TV. FWIW. 

43 minutes ago, shorty said:

Silberbauer was interviewed this morning by David Lenham for CBCs On the Island. Not a whole lot new from yesterday's announcement (hooked on coaching from Young Boys U21 experience, wants to play a style that reflects island character but has to match the roster's skill set...).  At the end though Lenham asked him who his favourite Danish player was, Schmeikel, Laudrup, or Erickson.  He said that Laudrup was great, but also (in a not braggy or name-droppy way at all) he said that he played with Erickson and that he's a "good lad". It struck me a) that this was good press to widen the awareness of CPL beyond current Canmnt fans, and b) that he came off well and that there are many Victorian soccer fans who would have been underwhelmed with Nash (unfortunately) but who will be impressed at Silberbauer's Euro credentials, including connections to a current World Cup star they've just seen on TV. FWIW. 

I listened to that on the drive back down island this morning, and liked what I heard. I think it's a smart move pairing him with Merriman who has an understanding of the local game and player base. 

3 hours ago, C2SKI said:

I listened to that on the drive back down island this morning, and liked what I heard. I think it's a smart move pairing him with Merriman who has an understanding of the local game and player base. 

Agreed. Without a experienced local assistant I would worry it would take to long for him to assimilate and understand the existing culture. On the other hand, I like that they appear to be trying to change what needs changing in our culture with someone who comes from a country without the inferiority complex. I like that he's placed "mentality" first several times as the key to success. 

7 hours ago, ted said:

You think it is tougher to sign talent from Europe while you are in Europe?!?

I think it's tougher to convince quality talent to come over from Europe, at the salary level they want to pay.  That for the salary level the league will be offering, they could find higher caliber players elsewhere.

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think it's tougher to convince quality talent to come over from Europe, at the salary level they want to pay.  That for the salary level the league will be offering, they could find higher caliber players elsewhere.

Of course, the players from Europe will be of the sort we say in NASL / USL: (Northern-) Ireland, Scandinavia and the lower leagues of England / Scotland.

Southern / Mid America players will probably be easier to attract. 

Just now, masster said:

On top of that, it is on the front page in a box, and front page of the Sports section. Friends of mine who are more into rowing and cycling commented on it to me immediately yesterday, I was in Victoria. So the press support is very favourable considering, and it will probably raise a few eyebrows, interest is certainly being piqued.

Just now, C2SKI said:

http://pacificfc.canpl.ca/stadium-profile

The ends at Westhills are going to be terraced! Why couldn't we have had this a decade ago.

They already announced end stands, one up close to the goal, the other further back. Sot hat is not new. And those renders: really poorly done, though if the architecture is like that, with neutral grey, clean stands with white roofs, the logo large like that, then they'll have really taken a step up.

As is, the stadium is very ugly, it is terribly cheap looking, with bad colour schemes in blocks along the main stand, a logo on the stadium that is kitschy, the area around it very poorly taken care of. Encroaching buildings that look like wholesale radiator distributors. Even the Rugby Canada building is depressing.

And that is also a testimony to this mayor, Mr. Young. In general, in public architecture in Langford, buildings are very poorly designed and you have to ask the guy: why don't you hire a quality architect, or just recognize you have no vision for such things and let someone who does? Will Pacific FC have the vision to tell that guy what is really needed to pick things up a bit and make the fan experience minimally decent?

This basically looks like an illegal bazaar on the Star Wars Kessel Run.

Imagen relacionada

Edited by Unnamed Trialist