Pacific FC Launch / 2019 off season thread

12 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I hope the league puts in place rules that really emphasize Canadian talent.

They have. No more than 5 non-Canadians on the pitch during games I believe.

9 hours ago, C2SKI said:

I really wanted one of them to bite and give an honest assessment of the local talent. I suppose we'll have to wait and see 

Oh, they were happy with local talent. I think they know who they are going to sign from the local community. They just weren't going to say. They want to make the announcement of signings a promotional thing.

Just now, yyj2cpl said:

Excellent news out of PFC today- club shop opening downtown on Nov. 30. Finally something we are first in. Great location too- right in the heart of the shopping district.

I also like something else: in downtown Victoria. Implicit recognition that this is a greater Victoria team, playing in Langford. I know it does not sound like much, but the effort to name it Pacific, and focus on southern Van Island, with marketing almost entirely avoiding the word "Victoria", led me to think they had pressure to avoid this focus. So a downtown store partially mitigates that. 

I also see it as a marketing vehicle, the store itself, as I cannot see how they are going to sell enough merchandise to pay for costs and rent. They will garner interest and do ticket sales through it, which is smart. They could also fleet buses to games from that location, or nearby.

Another possibility, however: they also fill it with generic Macron sporting wear, which might be a smart idea, most brand shops for soccer teams in their home cities do sell a wide range of wear not directly related to the club itself or with its logo explicit

10 hours ago, Raven1555362272 said:

Swag on Nov.30. Jersey in the new year (read that somewhere...). Beyond that I'm sure they are working on an online shop.

If you open a shop in downtown Victoria, you HAVE to have a least one of the jerseys ready for sale, even if it is a special or keepers or third kit. Otherwise, there is really no point at all in opening the outlet.

16 hours ago, Raven1555362272 said:

Swag on Nov.30. Jersey in the new year (read that somewhere...). Beyond that I'm sure they are working on an online shop.

I talked to Josh the day he ordered the jerseys. They will not be here in town until the new year.

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you open a shop in downtown Victoria, you HAVE to have a least one of the jerseys ready for sale, even if it is a special or keepers or third kit. Otherwise, there is really no point at all in opening the outlet.

There will be plenty of merchandise available. They will make lots of sales before Christmas and then get to sell Jerseys to the same people in the new year.

The point of opening the outlet is to create buzz ans sell tickets. IMO merchandise is not so much a revenue stream at the moment, but a way to promote the team by making it mores visible in the community. Every person wearing PFC gear is a walking billboard for the team.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Personally, this should have been the main logo

Actually, the graphic design for tweets, bulletins, on the website, is actually quite good. I find it heartening, as I do not like the original logo that much, it seems rushed in its finishing. But I am hopeful they'll come up with something well done with Macron, as they seem to have someone --or a team-- working with them who knows something about visual communication. 

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Personally, this should have been the main logo

Oh heck yeah!

We said the same thing to the owners at the launch event.

Apparently they had to sort out trademark issues with Maserati first. Yep, Maserati challenged the trademark on the trident but that has now been resolved apparently.

We have been told that they have been ordered to use the first crest for two years by the league but will be using the trident as much as possible on merch. We will see in just over a week if they have been able to do so when the store opens.

Speaking of merch, we have finally started selling our supporters club membership packages including our new scarf:

Scarf2019.png.fc9f128ca42095c05fc3631230524887.png

http://www.lakesidebuoys.org/p/join-us.html

edit: just FYI this is a rendering and the final product will not be exactly as shown - the fringe is not supposed to be that long.

Edited by ted
additional info

While I might have preferred the trident to the be the primary logo originally, I hope that ship has sailed. For a club just starting out, it's so important to be consistent in branding and messaging. I feel it would be a big mistake to change primary logos after just two years.
At this point, I feel they need to own the primary and wear it proudly. It's unique, just like the colour scheme. If they dance around it, flirting with the other logo and promoting it instead, or shy away from the colours for that matter, then how can they expect the city (and island) to get on board with the identity?

46 minutes ago, ted said:

Speaking of merch, we have finally started selling our supporters club membership packages including our new scarf:

Scarf2019.png.fc9f128ca42095c05fc3631230524887.png

http://www.lakesidebuoys.org/p/join-us.html

edit: just FYI this is a rendering and the final product will not be exactly as shown - the fringe is not supposed to be that long.

JOIN THE LAKE SIDE!!!

Edited by King_cheetah
typo

7 minutes ago, King_cheetah said:

At this point, I feel they need to own the primary and wear it proudly. It's unique, just like the colour scheme. If they dance around it, flirting with the other logo and promoting it instead, or shy away from the colours for that matter, then how can they expect the city (and island) to get on board with the identity?

Good point. I think the colours are key and consistent "branding" is important.

That said, the crest that appears on the Jersey does not have to be the primary mark used in the community. They can, if they do it now, use whatever they want. The crest is barely known and not seen by anyone as integral to the identity yet.

Ans even if they do use the crest, two years is enough overlap to use the trident as a secondary and transition to using it as the primary in a couple of seasons.

2 minutes ago, ted said:

Good point. I think the colours are key and consistent "branding" is important.

That said, the crest that appears on the Jersey does not have to be the primary mark used in the community. They can, if they do it now, use whatever they want. The crest is barely known and not seen by anyone as integral to the identity yet.

Ans even if they do use the crest, two years is enough overlap to use the trident as a secondary and transition to using it as the primary in a couple of seasons.

You're probably right. I'm just jealous of euro clubs that have used the same crest for 100 years mostly. 

8 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Not many actually have, though.

True, all major club crests have evolved even if using the basic template for a century of more.

At Barça we members just voted down a proposal to change the crest, in fact, last month. They wanted to eliminate the FCB letters for some reason. So I have seen this recently in our case, and I am sure it is similar in most others. 

About PFC: actually the trident is not that good, as it is too thin, and the letters around it are too busy. Trident as a sea symbol is also a huge cliché (like schooners for port cities).  The other, original, of the tree, is more promising, it is different, it has powerful colour volumes, though is a bit hard to understand-- if they could find a way to expand the PFC letters significantly as they are tiny and basically illegible, it would be better. 

Frankly, PFC graphics are good, but the two crest proposals, so far, need work.