Pacific FC Launch / 2019 off season thread

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Announcing their head coach on Monday

https://twitter.com/pacificfccpl/status/1029570493869744128?s=21

My guess it’s Thomas Niendorf

The way the Twitter feed says "I'm coming" makes it sound like it is someone who is NOT on the island, or in Victoria, wouldn't you say?

I hope PacificFC offered the job to Niendorf, he saw it was a salary way below what his little private academy was paying him, and he turned it down. So that he'll then leave the club alone and not be vulturing over its every result.

10 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Martin Nash?

I'd be okay with that.  Good name recognition to attract casuals. Decent assistant coaching experience, including good runs with dos Santos in Ottawa and Wheeldon in Calgary. Local product. Lots of experience in Canada on both sides of the touch line. I like it. 

2 hours ago, shorty said:

I'd be okay with that.  Good name recognition to attract casuals. Decent assistant coaching experience, including good runs with dos Santos in Ottawa and Wheeldon in Calgary. Local product. Lots of experience in Canada on both sides of the touch line. I like it. 

Or maybe he takes the reign at Foothills. I was just kinda surprised his name hadn't come yet for reason you mention. 

I'm pretty sure it will be Riley O'Neil and am guardedly optimistic about it.

If this team (and league) are serious about the development of players and coaches, putting their faith in a young local coach is putting their money where their mouth is.

18 hours ago, ted said:

I'm pretty sure it will be Riley O'Neil and am guardedly optimistic about it.

If this team (and league) are serious about the development of players and coaches, putting their faith in a young local coach is putting their money where their mouth is.

Is this based on inside intel from your Highlanders network or just a hunch?

Of the two (Nash and O'Neill) it seems a much bigger jump to national Div1 for O'Neill -- B license and Victoria United youth development coach vs. A license and NASL/PDL experience, including runs to the final in both.  Also, if you place him in the current CanPL company (Gale, Hart, Wheeldon, Paulus), O'Neill seems out of place experience-wise.  (I left out Brennan who is in a category of his own for lots of reasons...)

Maybe Nash head coach with O'Neill on staff to bring him along?  After all, professional development is about setting attainable goals that stretch and test you without swamping you, ideally with mentors to bring you along.  Looking from the outside without inside intel, Div1 head coach seems like an appropriate next step for Nash whereas assisting at that level seems a more appropriate next step for O'Neill.  Based only on publicly available info, I will freely admit.

1 hour ago, shorty said:

Is this based on inside intel from your Highlanders network or just a hunch?

It's based on the sum of a couple of LSB's talking to him at the launch event where he said he was going to be involved and the shadowy outline in the pic.

I think Martin Nash would be just as awesome and possibly even my very slight preference. I just don't think that is him in the picture. 

5 minutes ago, ted said:

It's based on the sum of a couple of LSB's talking to him at the launch event where he said he was going to be involved and the shadowy outline in the pic.

Isn't the shadowy outline the same picture they use for every launch but with small details changed?

Yeah, they've been using the exact same picture for each coach announcement. The person in the picture is no indication of who the coach will be. The quote used each time has been from the coach though, so whoever said the quote on the Pacific one is probably the coach.

I struggle to envision how Westhills is going to accommodate 5-10 thousand people. It's on the outskirts of Greater Victoria and it's also built on quite a small and confined piece of land. Should be interesting. I'm looking forward to it though.

Archived