Pacific FC Launch / 2019 off season thread

57481B29-769B-4353-9345-26E4BB0EFCC5.jpe

At no point did I question that they are adding seats, so that's not what is being questioned. The question asked was how they plan to reach 5000 without using the hydro pole side to any significant extent which is standing only in the season ticket chart? This link describes what has happened in the past for rugby and and the 3,255 number quoted suggests that temporary seating in the configuration shown in the season ticket chart is unlikely to do the job:

https://medium.com/westhill-british-colombia/langfords-westhills-stadium-to-double-seating-capacity-91156849bb6a

...Part of the impetus for the increased capacity is the return this October of the Americas Rugby Championship to Westhills, after a successful debut last year. Temporary seating allowed 3,255 fans to take in the final game, won 28-9 by Argentina over Canada...

...At present, the stadium has about 1,200 regular seats and 500 portables, Leskiw said. “It all depends on how they can fit it in, but between 1,500 and 2,000 seats will be added.” ...

If the main seating block shown in this Google Maps image is only 1200 seats, it will be interesting to see how they squeeze in 3800 more without using the hydro pole side, because they don't have much space available behind the goals given they also have to provide safe access to and from all of the seats:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/48°26'35.0"N+123°31'10.0"W/@48.4429072,-123.5235867,211m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d48.443056!4d-123.519444?hl=en

Don't see this as a major issue for them. There is no problem having a 3500 capacity initially if you are going to be doing well to fill that based on the level of fan interest. It's worth bearing in mind that FC Edmonton only had about 4500 as their seating capacity in the NASL for the longest time and seldom if ever filled it despite being in a much larger city than Victoria. Engineering ticket scarcity is no bad thing from a season ticket culture standpoint.

Get the Queen's engineers in town on the pole problem... They have lots of practice. :)

I'm more interested in seeing what they do, if anything, for shuttles and park and ride options. Langford parkway is a very narrow single lane road with a couple of small roundabouts, and it's really the only way in to Westhills and I can see that being very congested even with only 3000 in attendance, let alone 8000 at some point in the future. Shuttles from a couple of pubs in town would be super, but even a parking agreement with one of the big stores nearby and short frequent shuttles would be helpful. 

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Construction is still possible during winter months in Victoria. I think that is the only reason they are still ok timeline wise.

Based on what Ian Allison told me when I interviewed him, construction on Cavalry’s stands were just starting and were slated to continue throughout the winter. 

And based on every time estimate I’ve heard about this style of construction, these stands go up rather quickly. Additionally we have Halifax’s example which took weeks rather than months. 

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

Based on what Ian Allison told me when I interviewed him, construction on Cavalry’s stands were just starting and were slated to continue throughout the winter. 

And based on every time estimate I’ve heard about this style of construction, these stands go up rather quickly. Additionally we have Halifax’s example which took weeks rather than months. 

Yes. But Halifax is building a pop up. Victoria is doing a full stand with a roof. Quite a bit different.

2 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Yes. But Halifax is building a pop up. Victoria is doing a full stand with a roof. Quite a bit different.

I’m not sure what parts will be pop up and what parts permanent-modular (which I’ve been told is more time consuming but not ridiculously so). Based on the pictures I’ve seen they are not concrete stands, so the time they have is more than accurate. 

Edit: Ugh. ‘Adequate’ not ‘accurate’. 

Edited by rob.notenboom

6 hours ago, Aird25 said:

At one point this was proposed. There are estimates for seating numbers for each stand.

4124CCC5-7896-4274-8786-E5719046CDAD.png

Proposed by Pacific FC?

This seems to be close to what the stadium will be configured like for 2019, capacity is about 6K from what I can make out on the right lower part of the pic, expansion of existing south grandstand increasing to 2376, new tall West side at 1926, plus north/east/added suites.

6 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Jersey design released. Ive gotta say I’m not impressed... Logo seems way to large.

D2D320FE-133F-48F0-8B2C-9815B6AAEEA5.jpeg

May not end up being that large, could be just to give visibility for the graphic/ad as a whole.

Wouldn't mind having a larger shield/crest myself though, sometimes the Jersey has them too small for my liking while the sponsorship logo is huge (understandably as they pay the bucks for the space but looks poor to have the big "BMO" or "BELL" dominate the kit).

Edited by CDNFootballer