HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

16 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Not too sure why that is a surprise. Did you see our event in Halifax compared to Calgary?? There is a real buzz in Halifax. The launch was packed with hundreds of people of all ages who were filled with enthusiasm. Reporters were everywhere and the event was all over the local news and radio stations. 

Some of the guys in our supporters group were at a pub before the event with a bag of our remaining scarves and as the story goes 'people were literally throwing money at us - they didn't even care how much they cost'. Sold the entire bag in no time. 

Sure Calgary has more people but so what? From what I have seen in Halifax through the huge growth in our supporters group, the messages of people from around the province signing up for tickets and planning to make the drive to the games, the local soccer clubs getting 100% behind the team and a general big buzz about having a team in a beautiful facility located dead of downtown walking distance to 100's of pubs and eateries. 

Im not saying Calgary, York region and Winnipeg don't have some great fans BUT as someone on the ground in Halifax I would say these regions have a ways to catch up to us in terms of enthusiasm and visibility in the community. I look forward to them trying to catch up   :D

Bah bah bah babababab but.....your lack of post world war 2 immigration demographics....? 

31 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Great choice, for those who don't know the reference: 

I knew the members of Spirit of the West when they were still teens. I have an incredible memory of some of the originals, seeing them doing a summer job roofing, singing this as they replaced shingles on top of a Vancouver home.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 hours ago, Alex D said:

These memberships allow you to buy multiple tickets am i correct?

I was looking at the York 9 FAQ recently and I believe it said with a membership you can buy up to 8 tickets (can potentially make exceptions, but that would have to go through extra hoops). Presumably many of the memberships (but not all) will be getting a pair of tickets.

Yes, you can buy up to 8 tickets per membership.

We're also up to 455 memberships now.

Also, yes indeed, Privateers 1882 is in reference to the song Barrett's Privateers. However, that's not all the word Privateers comes from. The song is based on history after all. Privateers were a real thing in Nova Scotia, and especially in the town of Liverpool they are celebrated. Two famous Privateering ships are The Liverpool Packet and Rover.

Privateers weren't sailors or soldiers. They were regular folks. Farmers and fishermen who went out to sea to defend their homeland from foreign invaders. That's exactly what we'll be doing at the Wanderers Grounds.

1882 is the year the original Halifax Wanderers Amateur Athletic Club was founded. They turned the ground where the Wanderers Grounds (named after the HWAAC) now stands from a literal garbage dump and cow pasture into what was called "the handsomest ground in the Dominion". The Wanderers Grounds was a Mecca of sports in Halifax for decades. Without them, there's no way we'd be getting a CPL team today.

And proving the old adage "Some things never change" true (until SEA came along that is) the HWAAC attempted to build a stadium at the grounds. People say Halifax has been trying to build a stadium since the early 80's for the CFL Schooners, but we've actually been mucking that up since the 1920's!

Edited by garmc

From the Black Hole #98 interview with Derek Martin (pre-HFX launch).  Can't find direct link on podcast itself but https://www.facebook.com/FromTheBlackHolePodcast/

-Talked about the difficulties with the small group not wanting the stadium there but credited the supporters for drowning out the “squeaky wheel”

-If the attendance proves steady in the higher range, would be foolish not to consider something more permanent, either on the Wanderer’s Grounds or nearby (there are other options)

-Wouldn’t take much about the league but really put over the CPL team and the quality of it. 

-While bumps along the way, the way the league is playing out is the exact way Scott Mitchell and PB had put it.

-“Questions people have asked and are asking, will really start to be answered around viability and sustainability.  Interest from corporations and partners.  All this stuff is there but it’s just a process.  You have to give the group that’s behind this a lot of credit for understanding that and going through it in a responsible and professional way

-Noted this is the start of the announcements for them.  Over the next couple of months will be things like coach and GM.

16 hours ago, garmc said:

Privateers weren't sailors or soldiers. They were regular folks. Farmers and fishermen who went out to sea to defend their homeland from foreign invaders. That's exactly what we'll be doing at the Wanderers Grounds.

Anyone who knows their history - particularly their French-Canadian history - knows that this name is apt for the Canadian maritimes. 

The English (the Kirk's) privateered and sacked Port-Royale in 1613, and Québec in 1629 (might be earlier, would need to verify), asking the French to pay an exorbant amount for the return of the colonies. The Acadians learned at that point that the English couldn't be trusted, and built the fortifications at Port-Royale and Beauséjour. It culminated in Nova Scotia's hidden gem, the construction of Louisbourg, capital of Ile Royale. 

In retaliation for earlier privateering raids, the French under Pierre le Moyne d'Iberville sacked and destroyed St. John's Newfoundland, as well as many coastal communities in New England, from his base at Louisbourg.  

This is a really great name for a supporters group. Like, if I wasn't between Ottawa and MTL, I would literally attend every friggin' match just to see how they make this ambiance work. Bonus points if they sing <<Partons, la mer est belle>> as well. 

I love the way the HFX project is drawing from such rich history, and roots, and metaphors, there is depth and passion there that is really admirable. I also understand that Halifax being left out for too long when it comes to pro sports is a factor, time to really get on board and make things work.

I am a bit worried about what I am reading about the architecture.

It is very important that the stadium not feel totally impermanent and tinny. Really, this is essential. When I read they have to take it apart after the season to remove the supposed "eyesore", to appeal to the Commons lobby, that really irked me. You need solid architecture, it is the only way for a fan to feel safe and welcomed, it cannot be improvised. The worse thing you can do is put up noisy metallic temporary stands like a scaffold with seats on the top. If they are too cheap to take this seriously, then not only Halifax but any CPL team is going to have problems, mark my words.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I love the way the HFX project is drawing from such rich history, and roots, and metaphors, there is depth and passion there that is really admirable. I also understand that Halifax being left out for too long when it comes to pro sports is a factor, time to really get on board and make things work.

I am a bit worried about what I am reading about the architecture.

It is very important that the stadium not feel totally impermanent and tinny. Really, this is essential. When I read they have to take it apart after the season to remove the supposed "eyesore", to appeal to the Commons lobby, that really irked me. You need solid architecture, it is the only way for a fan to feel safe and welcomed, it cannot be improvised. The worse thing you can do is put up noisy metallic temporary stands like a scaffold with seats on the top. If they are too cheap to take this seriously, then not only Halifax but any CPL team is going to have problems, mark my words.

It’s not a permanent thing. They are gunning for a permanent stadium, but the city council needed convincing first. Their stadium will be fine, what is most important is being close to that action and filling the stadium. They have over 500 Deposits so I think they are ok...

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It is very important that the stadium not feel totally impermanent and tinny. Really, this is essential. When I read they have to take it apart after the season...

Did I miss something? It was my understanding that the Wanderers will play in a "temporary" stadium for the first year as something of a test. I understood that a "permanent" stadium was still a possibility down the road?

Just now, ted said:

Did I miss something? It was my understanding that the Wanderers will play in a "temporary" stadium for the first year as something of a test. I understood that a "permanent" stadium was still a possibility down the road?

It's three years and then they'll go from there if I recall correctly.  Martin on the From The Black Hole Pod (my recap) last week

• If the attendance proves steady in the higher range, would be foolish not to consider something more permanent, either on the Wanderer’s Grounds or nearby (there are other options)

18 minutes ago, Rheo said:

It's three years and then they'll go from there if I recall correctly.  Martin on the From The Black Hole Pod (my recap) last week

• If the attendance proves steady in the higher range, would be foolish not to consider something more permanent, either on the Wanderer’s Grounds or nearby (there are other options)

I wonder what the other options are that would even be comparable to Wanderers Grounds. Space-wise, I don't think there is much on the peninsula that could host a 10,000 seat permanent stadium. Assuming the issue is the city not wanting to build a permanent structure on "public" space, then the rest of the commons are completely off the table.

I used to live across the street from this spot and always thought it had the potential to be a world-level unique stadium, but there is no way this would ever get built. Merv Sullivan Park.

https://www.google.ca/maps/search/the+pit+halifax/@44.6730207,-63.6113353,199a,35y,155.26h,44.95t/data=!3m1!1e3

The area of the park along Novalea Drive is a pretty steep slope and sort of tapers off along both sides of the field. Get rid of the ball field, build stands into the hills on 3 sides and at field level on the 4th side, and you have an amazingly unique stadium with world class views. The picture is from near the top of the hill. The whole area is residential, so this would never happen.5000399633_a897230843_z.jpg.61a76b3294e499b08a9d62f505653869.jpg

Always thought it could rival SC Braga's stadium in uniqueness.

braga-stadium-braga-portugal-braga-stadium-braga-portugal-23-june-HXYWA3.thumb.jpg.a596598f28f0bd123ae6e20cd9e9f5a1.jpg

8 hours ago, Tigers said:

I'd say noisy stands is a plus. Makes crowd noise really easy by stomping.  Parts of BMO are like that.

You can't take political laziness, amateur values and lack of serious investment and turn it into a positive , that is just spin. It is BSing, as I see it. There is no fan base anywhere in the world that suffers because their stadium is built in concrete. Anything else is lame excuses that help the politicians justify not spending on things of public benefit.

Halifax deserves a permanent facility for soccer and other outdoor sports, where fans can be comfortable, where you can get concessions revenue, a structure with quality architecture that could even be an asset in terms of public image, a place where teams can feel they are being properly partnered by their communities. 

Either you aspire to a professional soccer league or you don't. Sitting fans on scaffolding with seats screwed into them is pathetic.