HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

1 hour ago, Chad_Impact said:

I don't hate the logo but I find there was many better ones posted on this forum. A logo doesn't have to include the teams name...let alone in big/bold letters. 

Could you post what you thought was better amongst the fan proposals on this forum, I'd like to see what you are thinking. Thanks.

Look at the emblem story. Some of the pieces that are used to put together the logo are more dynamic than the final logo-crest itself. This suggests you could take it in pieces, or take out elements (text, leaving just colour and form), and it can work in a lot of ways. 

This shows the work was professional, but IMO the parts of the composite are more promising than the final mash-up, which is too busy.

http://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/video/hfx-wanderers-fc-emblem-story

21 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Secondary logos here 

As a west coaster, when I see these logos, especially the secondary one, I think of the Lions Gate Bridge connecting Stanley Park in Vancouver to the North Shore. If it wasn't for the text, these could easily pass for logos for a Vancouver team. I was expecting to see a Nova Scotia Tartan or something that would tie it more to that region.

27 minutes ago, masster said:

As a west coaster, when I see these logos, especially the secondary one, I think of the Lions Gate Bridge connecting Stanley Park in Vancouver to the North Shore. If it wasn't for the text, these could easily pass for logos for a Vancouver team. I was expecting to see a Nova Scotia Tartan or something that would tie it more to that region.

I thought Lions Gate when i saw it as well. 

52 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Could you post what you thought was better amongst the fan proposals on this forum, I'd like to see what you are thinking. Thanks.

20645671_10156169367079881_922071451_n.png?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeEzQ0RU3vh3_RI-RYhnmAXN2FqXMVHnO4d4NSTt7m0wppIfZGFz9MjGtSLJzduVW-1mbb1xPhf8l5GhTEP3qodGSQwVYw7hb_bMux1TXk65pw&oh=df5e155148c6e1235fa67d7eb0c20c82&oe=5B0A0A32I liked the two on the left a lot. 

And this one too

4JPFsum.png

There were more I liked too but the thread is quite long 

Edited by Chad_Impact

I wasn't initially sold on the crest, but it's really grown on me. The design is clean and fits well with the city, the colours look great, and I actually like that it's a bit different than York 9 and Cavalry in having a motto incorporated. Now comes the really hard part - waiting for 2019. ?

Speaking of waiting though, has anyone else noticed that the "Next Club Announcement" clock isn't counting down to anything?

Edited by m-g-williams

1 hour ago, masster said:

The bridge connecting to Dartmouth is pretty iconic of HRM though. 

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Chad_Impact said:

20645671_10156169367079881_922071451_n.png?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeEzQ0RU3vh3_RI-RYhnmAXN2FqXMVHnO4d4NSTt7m0wppIfZGFz9MjGtSLJzduVW-1mbb1xPhf8l5GhTEP3qodGSQwVYw7hb_bMux1TXk65pw&oh=df5e155148c6e1235fa67d7eb0c20c82&oe=5B0A0A32I liked the two on the left a lot. 

And this one too

4JPFsum.png

There were more I liked too but the thread is quite long 

They are all rather old fashioned and totally static, esp with the famous lion with those silly paws. And the insistence on serif fonts. For me they go absolutely nowhere. Apart from that, none of them come even close to the colour work on the new logo. 

I am not saying that the new version is outstanding, but there is no comparison, sorry to say. I realize that if you are not in dialogue with the client, you cannot design, without a briefing and some idea of how the user is defined. And none of these have had the pleasure of being able to talk with those conceiving the club. 

Look at the new video: it is coherent, like it or not. It shows how in dialogue, over a drink, with potential fans, they picked up on key words (harbour) and colours (dark and light blue, grey), they chose to respect the history of the city's citadel, and the name came from the grounds; they blended the W of Wanderers with the shape of waves. These are all coherent design and image choices, though as I say, for me they have put too much into it. But then you go to the website and you see how they can take pieces and make them work coherently in parts, like HFX on the bridge, buttressed by the waves. If they continue to do that, stripping it down and finding pieces of their design idea for various applications, they'll do well. You could just take the citadel outline, with bands of the team colours, and no text at all, and it'd actually work.

1 hour ago, admin said:

I thought Lions Gate when i saw it as well. 

It was designed by Pratley, who designed the Lion's Gate 20 years earlier.

It's a suspension bridge, they all have towers which when looked at straight on define a high arch, with some kind of geometry of the engineering in the structural parts. They are like monumental gates, pretty well all suspension bridges have such features, which is why one recalls another. 

In any case, this connection actually reinforces a Canadian engineering iconography.

By the way, just thought it is worth mentioning having an Atlantic club in this new enterprise we call the Canadian Premier League is absolute gold.  

Haven't seen anything that suggests this league is pretending to be anything its not going to be (Is that the right way to put it?  I think everyone should get my meaning).  So geography matters. 

By that I mean we're all in this together aren't we?  And all of us means all of us.  In ways the NHL or the CFL or MLS will never be.  And that's pretty fu'king cool.  Anyway, it's Friday and I'm off to the pub.  Been a long week and longer month.   Wee Elf says "Hey".  

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They are all rather old fashioned and totally static, esp with the famous lion with those silly paws. And the insistence on serif fonts. For me they go absolutely nowhere. Apart from that, none of them come even close to the colour work on the new logo. 

I am not saying that the new version is outstanding, but there is no comparison, sorry to say. I realize that if you are not in dialogue with the client, you cannot design, without a briefing and some idea of how the user is defined. And none of these have had the pleasure of being able to talk with those conceiving the club. 

Look at the new video: it is coherent, like it or not. It shows how in dialogue, over a drink, with potential fans, they picked up on key words (harbour) and colours (dark and light blue, grey), they chose to respect the history of the city's citadel, and the name came from the grounds; they blended the W of Wanderers with the shape of waves. These are all coherent design and image choices, though as I say, for me they have put too much into it. But then you go to the website and you see how they can take pieces and make them work coherently in parts, like HFX on the bridge, buttressed by the waves. If they continue to do that, stripping it down and finding pieces of their design idea for various applications, they'll do well. You could just take the citadel outline, with bands of the team colours, and no text at all, and it'd actually work.

Well said.

Looks like membership sales in Halifax are going at a faster rate initially than they did in Calgary, which is a bit of a surprise given the smaller population and the relative absence of traditional soccer demographics, but may be related to having had the story in the news locally for much longer and possibly the efforts of the local supporters group.

40 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Looks like membership sales in Halifax are going at a faster rate initially than they did in Calgary, which is a bit of a surprise given the smaller population and the relative absence of traditional soccer demographics, but may be related to having had the story in the news locally for much longer and possibly the efforts of the local supporters group.

It seems that the spring roll-out, when kids and adults across Canada are getting out and playing, and in the lead up to the World Cup, and when the European leagues are ending and winners are in the news, with Champions today even--all this helps to make this a good time to be talking about soccer in Canada. So I'll give them credit for the timing, very smart. 

And then, if we are saying that Calgary went faster than York, and HFX faster than Calgary, perhaps you are talking about some kind of momentum. I mean: I have decided that if they announce a team in the Lower Mainlaind  I'll put in my deposit, even though I only spend 2 months a year on the coast. Just to get in on it. I imagine others are watching what is happening in other cities and are thinking similar things.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Not too sure why that is a surprise. Did you see our event in Halifax compared to Calgary?? There is a real buzz in Halifax. The launch was packed with hundreds of people of all ages who were filled with enthusiasm. Reporters were everywhere and the event was all over the local news and radio stations. 

Some of the guys in our supporters group were at a pub before the event with a bag of our remaining scarves and as the story goes 'people were literally throwing money at us - they didn't even care how much they cost'. Sold the entire bag in no time. 

Sure Calgary has more people but so what? From what I have seen in Halifax through the huge growth in our supporters group, the messages of people from around the province signing up for tickets and planning to make the drive to the games, the local soccer clubs getting 100% behind the team and a general big buzz about having a team in a beautiful facility located dead of downtown walking distance to 100's of pubs and eateries. 

Im not saying Calgary, York region and Winnipeg don't have some great fans BUT as someone on the ground in Halifax I would say these regions have a ways to catch up to us in terms of enthusiasm and visibility in the community. I look forward to them trying to catch up   :D

Just observing the trickle of CPL news out of Halifax over the last few years I've always been very impressed with the strength of the supporters group/fanbase.  Getting dozens of supporters out to council meetings to help influence city decisions years before a potential launch, unified vision on the team name and identity, etc etc.  That's why they are ahead on memberships. There is a larger pent-up demand from the contingent  of hardcore fans.

I first thought the crest was horrendous, but it’s actually really growing on me. Still think it’s a bit too busy, but it’s pretty unique and has a lot tied into the city. The event yesterday was amazing and really well attended. SEA and the CPL did a great job. The SG was great too - provided some great atmosphere and the before announcement pub time was fun and really inclusive!  I signed up for a membership at 6:30 this morning and was number 243. Really excited about the potential of CPL in Halifax!