Jonathan David

Vince193

I’ve argued the David to Bayern thing before, but I actually think if they want a new striker, Larin better fits the bill. He’s much cheaper, he’s about 5 years younger than Choupo-Moting, he’s not a franchise guy, so BM can still develop Tel, and most of all, Larin has proven time and time again that he can score if given the chance. Yes, he played at PSG, but overall, their career trajectories are fairly similar.

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

they  signed Choupo-Moting for another year and Mathys Tel who is only 17 yrs has looked very good anytime he gets mins

I can't believe a club Bayerns size is counting on a giy like Choupo- Moting. This is only his 3rd season getting 10 goals. And the last one was almost 10 years ago. They may kose the league without a better striker. 

1 hour ago, jhoops__ said:

No, not true at all.  Choupo has been really good as the 9 for Bayern.   Conceding goals has been the issue and some tactical decisions as well.

Choupo has been decent. I think any adequate striker thrives in Bayerns system. However, the striker he replaced averaged over a goal a game over his last 7 seasons. Which I am not saying David can do. But I think he will be alot closer to than Choupo.

17 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I can't believe a club Bayerns size is counting on a giy like Choupo- Moting. This is only his 3rd season getting 10 goals. And the last one was almost 10 years ago. They may kose the league without a better striker. 

Bayern has the same goals per game average- 2.9- this season as they did over the last two when Lewy scored 35 and 41 (!!!) respectively. Their issue isn't scoring, it's extremely sloppy play. They lost 2-1 last week after being up early and then giving up 2 PKs. Their last loss before that came when Upamecano got a red in the 8th minute. Half the team was sleepwalking through January when they drew 3 straight games. Their margin of error here is as thin as benching Upamecano for those two games (he gave up one of the two PKs) and having the World Cup in the summer, and BM would be 15 points up, humming to their 85th straight title. 

David wouldn't fix these issues- one which is that quite a few Bundesliga teams have improved- let alone Lewandowski or anyone. Their issue is that their world class players have not played at world class level for long stretches of the year. Their first game out of the break is against Dortmund which I feel is going to be considered a make or break game for both teams, so for their sake, hopefully they take it seriously and put away the season for once and for all.

Would also add that Choupo-Moting is basically averaging 1 goal per 90, and he doesn't take PKs, so he's not at all a huge drop off from Lewandowski.  In fact, I would argue he may well be a better team player and playmaker, even if he doesn't have the explosiveness and free kick ability of Lewy.

Also, there's the unfortunate case of Sadio Mane too (a player whose profile might be closer to David).  He has been tried as a striker, a 10, a false 9, a SS and a CAM, and pretty much been ineffective in all of them.  Now he's relegated to winger where he's competing with Coman, Sane, Gnabry for playing time.

So where would Jonathan David fit in to all that?  I'm not sure, but until a few more people (other than the coach) get their walking papers, the Bayern attack is a very (over)crowded place to be...

David has continually asked for La Liga or the Premiership….

He’s not going to Madrid because he’s not Brazilian and doesn’t have the name power. Same reason for Barca (but the real reason is they are broke and couldn’t afford the risk)

I would hope he’s not going to Atletico…as only lone strikers survive there.

EPL clubs…no Chelsea as they a lot of guys incoming to the 9. No to Liverpool, again they are stockpiled at full strength, no to City because of the obvious. 

United, Spurs and Arsenal are the only top clubs I could see David playing at and all still seem unlikely considering the variables. United want Kane/a proven 9, Arsenal will bring back Balgounv first before considering David, and Spurs is just a flu that’s best to stay away from.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

He’s not going to Madrid because he’s not Brazilian and doesn’t have the name power. Same reason for Barca (but the real reason is they are broke and couldn’t afford the risk)

EPL clubs…no Chelsea as they a lot of guys incoming to the 9. No to Liverpool, again they are stockpiled at full strength, no to City because of the obvious. 

United, Spurs and Arsenal are the only top clubs I could see David playing at and all still seem unlikely considering the variables. United want Kane/a proven 9, Arsenal will bring back Balgounv first before considering David, and Spurs is just a flu that’s best to stay away from.

Newcastle makes a lot of sense, and I don’t know if they’re “big enough” but Brighton could be a fit too. 

2 hours ago, Shway said:

As I've posted often, he is a good fit for Madrid. He has a lot of things that could be a version of Benzema, they way he falls into the AM spaces and can turn methodically. He's weak in the air but for RM that is not as important. They have wing play that can service him. He does not have the playing style Barça needs or uses, this is complex but the kind of player we look for is a bit different, though we've reverted more to classic target men like Aubemayang or Braithwaite in recent years. You are right about Atlético, it is tough for strikers there and they don't have the midfield artistry to get him the ball. 

No one else in Spain could afford him, Sevilla not making Europe next year unless they win Europa League, Valencia in danger of relegation. Only five with the budgets to pay 50 million.

I don't know the EPL playing styles enough, but he is not the easiest fit. He needs a team to play for him a bit more, then he delivers.

David to RM for the next decade, then to Arsenal at 33 to live out his dream of playing in the EPL with the team he supported as a kid. Bang in some goals for the gunners for a few years, maybe lift a trophy or two, then back to Gent in the twilight of his career to round it out and come full circle. Would love that for him!

Oh and somewhere along the line, Phonzy pulls a David Alaba and leaves Bayern to join David at Real Madrid for a few seasons, just to see both of them win some La Liga and Champions League titles together!

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

David to RM for the next decade, then to Arsenal at 33 to live out his dream of playing in the EPL with the team he supported as a kid. Bang in some goals for the gunners for a few years, maybe lift a trophy or two, then back to Gent in the twilight of his career to round it out and come full circle. Would love that for him!

Oh and somewhere along the line, Phonzy pulls a David Alaba and leaves Bayern to join David at Real Madrid for a few seasons, just to see both of them win some La Liga and Champions League titles together!

This, except instead of Genk, it’s Atletico Madrid where he signs a deal for a guaranteed transfer to Atletico Ottawa after a few seasons where he goes as a player/partial owner and does to the CPL what Drogba did for IMFC.

9 hours ago, Shway said:

David and his agent continually talked about the Bundesliga before his move to Lille, so I don't think this means anything.

5 minutes ago, costarg said:

Hmmm, i don't get it.  What does "views in the 6 mean"?

Feeling old and not with it at the moment (and i'm only 49).

That’s a Drake album cover. “The 6” is Toronto (the 416), Drake uses that line in a bunch of songs and over the last few years, it got adopted as a common nickname for Toronto.