Ottawa CPL Club

1 minute ago, Chad_Impact said:

Forgive my ignorance but what does the USL offer that is more stable than the CPL? It's not like they're pulling in great attendances for games against MLS academy squads. 

With the USL, you know exactly what you're getting - no surprises there, you can predict everything operationally, you know the player selection/distribution process.  We don't really know much about the details of operations of the CPL yet - how players will be distributed, salaries, salary cap for management, just lots of details.  Most of them will likely work out, but they are unknowns at this time.

Another significant factor is we don't know what CPL wanted to charge the Fury for an expansion fee.  Meanwhile, they already have paid for their USL fee.  I would make an argument that they should be able to sell their USL franchise to someone else (who would move the franchise to the State) and use the $ to give to the CPL, but we really don't know what's happening behind the scenes.

My guess is USL gave the Fury a deadline of Sept 1 to decide, and there just wasn't enough there from the CPL to make the leap.

21 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Forgive my ignorance but what does the USL offer that is more stable than the CPL? It's not like they're pulling in great attendances for games against MLS academy squads. 

In my uninformed opinion, it's just sheer number of teams and less uncertainty. There were 33 teams in the league this year, so if a few fold the league can continue on. In fact, 11 teams have folded in USL's history and the league is still around. So it's by no means a guarantee of success, but you know that in the near term the league will continue.

4 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

I don't think so. Where would the Capital Region CPL team play? Plus, OSEG are still big with their 2 other sports teams. I don't think you could find a spot as good if not better than Landowsne.

LeBreton Flats, however my scenario is exactly what MLS did to the Cosmos. Put a team outside, in this case Gatineau. 

If Gatineau succeeds and pull enough fans, go to Ottawa after. 

Who would have thought that a team from somewhere in Jersey could out do the Cosmos when MLS was just an idea?

Crazier things has happened

Edited by Ansem

6 minutes ago, KW519 said:

If someone were to decide to launch a CPL club in the Ottawa area theres a great opportunity to capture the Fury fan base 

Problem is they would need somewhere to play and I'm not sure there's many (any?) great options. The only ones that occur to me are either university ones (Carleton has FieldTurf and can seat 3,500, apparently; Ottawa U's Gee-gee's field is shit, practically a carpet, seats about the same) or city-owned (Terry Fox Stadium could maybe do, with some upgrades, but I don't think there's enough parking around it).

Lebreton Flats (and others like it) are a pipedream, since there hasn't even been a field proposed there, let alone designed or built.

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

LeBreton Flats

My understanding is that RendezVous Lebreton (the group that will be developing the area) has already pretty well locked down what will be included in the development. New Sens stadium, plenty of condos/commercial space, possible central library, etc., but nowhere you could just plunk down a SSS, even a modular one. I could be wrong, but I went to the open houses at the War Museum and don't recall seeing much space left over.

Edited by m-g-williams

1 minute ago, Viruk42 said:

Problem is they would need somewhere to play and I'm not sure there's many (any?) great options. The only ones that occur to me are either university ones (Carleton has FieldTurf and can seat 3,500, apparently; Ottawa U's Gee-gee's field is shit, practically a carpet, seats about the same) or city-owned (Terry Fox Stadium could maybe do, with some upgrades, but I don't think there's enough parking around it).

Lebreton Flats (and others like it) are a pipedream, since there hasn't even been a field proposed there, let alone designed or built.

Doesn't the city also own TD Place? And RCGT Park could work NYCFC styles until a long term home is found 

This is disappointing most of all because I think it continues to cloud the picture for the average sports fan who, in this part of the country, is getting more and more into soccer and understanding the Canadian pro soccer landscape more and more thanks to the success of MLS here. When I've been spreading the word about the new Canadian pro league, I've invariably received responses of interest, enthusiasm but also puzzlement was to why TFC2 isn't in the league or why TFC2 isn't the same club as York 9.

That's probably nothing in comparison to this though. "So you see, we have 3 Canadian teams in MLS, then another Canadian team in USL Division 1 which is really the 2nd level of soccer in the US and 7 or 8 Canadian teams in the Canadian Premiere League which is Division 1 in Canada even though they are not the top Canadian teams, they probably won't be as good as Ottawa either because Ottawa is stacked with Canadian players that were already in the USL at a higher salary than what CPL can provide; and then there's TFC2 which is in USL's 2nd Division which is probably Canada's 4th level of pro play after MLS, USL Division 1 and CPL.....and I'm not even going to mention L1 as I'm already dizzy just trying to explain this to you......."

You get the point - I think optically its a bad move for everyone.

Edited by Gian-Luca

58 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Look at that reaction

Not inviting them into the V-Cup seems like it would be an bitter, vengeful over-reaction. What's the point in the CSA sanctioning them to play in USL for 2019 and then barring them from competing in the V-Cup? It would take bad optics and make it all look worse.

I must say, I'm absolutely gutted by Ottawa's decision.

I can sorta understand it from a business sense, but you have to think a York-Hamilton-Ottawa rivalry would draw better than Ottawa - Closest US "rival".

Unless, ha ha, Sudbury CPL suddenly springs forward, I don't really have much in the way of connection to York, Hamilton, or Winnipeg (my 3 closest teams). I guess my Fury merch is going into vacu-seal, but where do I go from here?

16 minutes ago, KW519 said:

Doesn't the city also own TD Place? 

Sure, but (without having any knowledge of the rental agreement) I would assume there's some sort of long term deal in place with OSEG that would make it difficult, if not impossible, to add another team there.

Unless you mean that would make other city owned fields an option, which is true, but I still don't think there's anything viable. I guess the baseball stadium could work, and it might even be a better location than Lansdowne once the new train starts running, but I'd still be very surprised.

11 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

This thread is worth a read and sheds alot of light on the reasoning and frankly, some pretty not-so-great news about CPL as a whole...

https://twitter.com/FuryFanatic/status/1037427311258333184

Oh God, I hope that source isn't true at all and if it is, I can see why Ottawa opted to stay in the USL. The Canadian Premier League is a division 1 league and it would not look good if news got out that a division 3 side wasn't let in because it's salary budget was a lot higher than what the league is planning. I can see Bill Manning have a good laugh at that.

Edited by Macksam

10 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

This thread is worth a read and sheds alot of light on the reasoning and frankly, some pretty not-so-great news about CPL as a whole...

https://twitter.com/FuryFanatic/status/1037427311258333184

I wonder what he means by "The majority of players will be current league one quality or lower". Is he talking League1 Ontario? English League One? Spelling out "One" makes it sound like England, but that's probably at least USL level. Saying "current" makes it sound like L1O because no doubt the implication would be that several L1O players would go to CPL, and that "future" L1O will be weakened as a result (in the immediate term).

2 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Oh God, I hope that source isn't true at all and if it is, I can see why Ottawa opted to stay in the USL. The Canadian Premier League is a division 1 league and it would not look good if news got out that a division 2 side wasn't let in because it's salary budget was a lot higher than what the league is planning. I can see Bill Manning have a good laugh at that.

FYP